F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR Going All Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Since a lot of countries are banning the sale of new gasoline cars from 2025, or 2030, or whenever, it makes no sense for manufacturers to continue to make them. if you can't buy non-electric cars, what are you going to buy?
Every gas combustion and diesel vehicle on the road today will still be available for sale on a lot or private. Long after that rule gets implemented. Ive never bought a high performance car new in my life so it won't change much for me. They'll have to force us out with insane gas tax.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hydrogen

glad to read that Jaguar is also developing hydrogen power as I’ve always believed electric was not the way to go.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gr8Brit:
MrKitty (02-19-2021), tberg (02-19-2021), Uncle Fishbits (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Received 190 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
Guess I won't be buying any more Jaguars.
Jag only sold 7900 I Pace models in the 4th qtr worldwide, 2020 but they are down 21% for the year. It doesn't matter how much grant money the governments hand out, unless the infrastructure is there, epic fail is on the way. When Tata bought Jag/Rover from Ford, there was some hope of better reliability and MUCH better design. It started well, but Jag is back in the same rut they have lived in for too long a time. Reliability is falling again and the designs are as cookie cutter boring as it gets. Before 2012, the car designs looked great even if they didn't run half the time. Time for Tata to get their act together or the sales slide will continue with ALL models. You can't continue to have sales fall 8-30 percent a year and survive. The E is just another phase of fools for now.

Last edited by davidladewig; 02-18-2021 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1fldsqn (02-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

What's sad is how many people give credence to said "13 yo brat" (I think she's 16-17) when; she really doesn't know what she's talking about, she uninformed yet opinionated, she's really nothing but a puppet and sadly, just a kid being used to further a cause that's all based on emotion and lies.

The following 7 users liked this post by flymyway:
1fldsqn (02-21-2021), Gregg Stephenson (02-18-2021), jetsetter883 (02-18-2021), Kodiak (02-19-2021), OzXFR (02-18-2021), tberg (02-19-2021), XJ8JR (02-18-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I always thought of JLR as a company that embraces new technology. Even the tech in my XKR was ahead of its time. So I guess the news of a completely electric fleet from JLR is no surprise.
I am in the middle of a garage reno and wired both bays for EV charging. It is inevitable. For performance minded individuals, the can be no doubt that the performance of EVs is impressive. Instant torque! And it will only get better. There are plenty of entrants into the space, but I do not thing mass adoption has anything to do with the vehicles themselves. We are at the point where they have sufficient range, prices are becoming lower (Tesla price reduction news today as a matter of fact), and the popular crossover/suv segment is seeing many options from many manufacturers. The problem lies in effective marketing and infrastructure. I'll have no problem charging at home, but many rely on public charging and need it to be at level 2. Expect to see existing gas stations with dedicated fast charging areas... it will bring an opportunity to sell other products as people wait. Manufacturers/dealers need to do a better job at educating and accommodating buyers. I dont know about you, but I would at least like to see and test drive a vehicle before buying online. I recently contacted volvo about their recharge XC40 EV. I am keeping a list of potential EVs for my wife. A Jag is already on there. I was very interested in the volvo subscription model. I was told that the subscription pricing was not available on EV's. In addition, when checking the come to us and we'll come to you for a test drive the closest location was 2 states away! Why are they making it so difficult?

So, will I buy an EV? Yes. Will it be from JLR? Maybe. Will continue to own ICE vehicles (I have 6 now)? Probably, as I like to work on vehicles, but I imaging the ICE vehicles in my future will be classic and collectible cars that will be used mostly for recreation. Gearheads love power and EV's can deliver.

WayneB (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default All electric

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
"Please don't feed the animals" LOL But thank you, and I am a bit obsessed with it. I've a couple friends with collections, one who has something like 60+ American classics including rare 1st vehicles Leno might have, early utilitarian vehicles like 1900s fire trucks and logging trucks, etc. I know there's a point where's it is Americana vs "just a car", but the 40s -60s stuff is aging out, and let alone gaskets blowing if you turn it on after just sitting there... who is the market? The baby boomers' wine cellars and garages are full, the Japanese import craze is legitimately catching everyone off guard... car collectors are acting to younger millennial interest like many of us act about EV. There's a wee bit of a panic out there as the new collectors are interested in the mid 80s cars they had posters of on their walls, Miami Vice and Magnum PI.

I truly fear a massive, MASSIVE glut in the car market of destabilized values of classic American vehicles up until muscle cars or so. Maybe the Chinese and Middle Eastern markets will find a home for a nostalgic yesteryear of car history, but man... The Nissan Skyline or the Buick Imperial? What's selling to a 39 year old tech guy who grew up on Fast and Furious? However, if things drop from millions into 100sK, people might pick up some fun cars that find a rational value vs the nostalgia of Silver Gen and their love for cars after the war, and the Boomers who grew up watching dad rub the car with a diaper. =)

That modern kid? He either loves those newer cars, or can't be bothered to pay attention what kind of car his uber is. A lack of interest in Americans, a lack of interest in cars, a diminishing market interest in combustible (so long term maintenance will become a pain in the ***), and shift to EV makes me baffled how these classics exist. Sadly, the best case scenario is to become museum pieces vs finding a track to loosen them up on. =(
Just an opinion, but I don’t think the history of all electric cars has been written yet. Right now they’re the “in” thing but it hasn’t been long enough for $7000 batteries needing to be replaced, withdrawal of tax credits, lack of chargers, inability to go more than 350 miles, etc to take the shine off. The shortage of battery metals and electrolytes is likely to be similar to gas shortages. If you’re in Whistling Rock on the way from Atlanta to Memphis and u need a charge, u better have AAA coverage. But I do see hybrid as an effective answer. It’ll cover the distance from Whistling Rock to Memphis ( but you’ll still need to fill the gas tank in Memphis).

Old 02-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Certainly not the end of fun cars. As long as the government doesn't get regulation happy, we should have our dino burners around for the foreseeable future.

I can see an electric car in our future, for around town driving, shopping etc. Not for road trips however, at least until the infrastructure matures and I expect that to be beyond my lifetime. Now something like the BMW I3 with a detachable REX module might be workable in the near term. That would afford all the advantages of all electric around town, and the ability to add range for a road trip when required. Could also see a rental REX scenario where you pick up the unit at the REX station and drop it your destination and picking up another one for the return trip.

The possibilities are endless. And maybe , just maybe we can look forward to Jag offering the first electric car that isn't butt ugly!

jetsetter883 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Dan314 - I agree with you in my heart but all those problems pesky EV issues will be "solved" by governments buying into the lies and building EV infrastructure on the backs of the taxpayers while regulating or taxing ICEs and the gas quickly out of existence. They are on the warpath; facts, citizens desires, costs, market forces, true problems, and economics be damned.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clutch:
Gregg Stephenson (02-18-2021), Kodiak (02-19-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a XK. Sounds awesome. How does an ipace sound?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:34 AM

Personally, I like my XKR's sound.

I-Pace sound:

Not a fan of pumped in sound. Manufacturers will probably allow selection of sounds much like the ringtone on you phone.

Kristin_w (05-06-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 AM

Always thought of hybrids as a bridge technology. Those are some pretty impressive numbers for the C-X75. And true to Jaguar a gorgeous design. I think that is one thing we can always expect from JLR.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Gas tax is what pays for our roads. EVs are paying nothing and using my highways. Governments will have to come up with another method of assessing EV owners to pay their fair share. It has to happen, so enjoy your free ride now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Terrific:
jetsetter883 (02-18-2021), scm (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,372 Likes on 800 Posts

I often hear people say how will people in condo's and apartments without parking spots charge their electric cars? The answer is... They wont own cars. They will use public transport, self propelled devices like bikes or ride sharing services. Will city streets be littered with extension cords charging parked cars, No. Will those that consider 'Freedom' to be having a car lying ready at a moments notice available to transport them 500 miles without interruption in air conditioned comfort be less free, Yes.

Even today on the ground here in Manhattan almost all the gas stations are gone. The parking garages will be next, Soon to be replaced by offices and living spaces. It's already happening. We are on the precipice of an unprecedented shift like what happened to the horse when the 4 wheeled truck came along at the turn of the century. Cities and suburbs will all look a bit different soon as they did compared to then. About 100 years ago when horses dominated, NYC streets were covered with a thin brown layer of manure. In ancient Rome, Julius Caesar banned horse-drawn carriages due to gridlock and pollution, same has happening with the Automobile but Rome fell, perhaps for other reasons. Back in NYC in 1904 some people were pleased when a gas powered truck appeared. It made some noise and some smoke but left no manure behind. Each engine powered truck displaced a pair of horses and that was 40lbs less manure each day dropped onto the street to be clean up. The cities will look very different in the future. The limited availability of charging spots will limit the amount of cars in big cities. This is by design and intentional Large cities with rows of static vehicles laying is wait is not what the future looks like. This is why the "futurists" always talk of electric cars, ride sharing and digital currency at the same time. ICE cars can sit for weeks, even months and start right up. Electric cars cant sit and wait, the charge dissipates so they wont be there. The politician and futurist see this and view this as an opportunity. Cross streets will be turned into public spaces. Avenues will be narrowed. Fewer cars and more ride sharing is the only way geographically limited costal cities like NY can grow and grow they must. More and more people are needed to service more and more debt and related costs.

Electric cars drive great. The resistance that is going on now is similar to the resistance that people had when they transitioned from Flip-phones to smart-phones. Or from carburetors to "electronic" fuel injection. We all know how that went. Like the smart phone, the electric car will solve some problems and create a few news ones. Humanity has a unbreakable tilt towards progress no matter the price, wisdom or folly or bumps along the way, look at Texas. So it's going to happen. The gasoline powered car like the flip phone has run it's course. Not much left to improve but efficiency but the ROI on that is too low and limited by the laws of thermodynamics now that a better way has been proven to work for some.

By 2035 I'll be in my 60's. Whatever ICE car I have then will have to last another 20 years or so IF I dont buy an electric, just becasue. I already have a few cars that are 20 years old and drive fine so I'll be OK and that's important to me. My kids dont seem to care all that much how they get where they are going. What they are wearing, and the devices they are holding to photo where they are going are far more important. If they want or need to arrive in style, they'll hire or rent a ride like their social media compatriots seem to do and instagram it. They have vastly different priorities and I understand this for the casual driver most cars are all the same now anyway. Even the cheapest ICE cars have comfortable seats, are roomy enough with A/C and are quiet enough compared to the most expensive... so to them perhaps a premium car just appears as excess. Because of regulations most car look nearly all the same anyway. To them whether a transportation device is powered by electric or gas is all the same. Where the electric comes from doesn't seem to concern them, where the gas comes from and where the emissions go does.

The days of owning low cost personal transportation will be over by mid century, and this is by design. As gas taxes need to be replaced the tax on the vehicle itself will rise drastically. Electric cars are smarter and know exactly how far they travel. Here comes the per mile tax too.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrific
Gas tax is what pays for our roads. EVs are paying nothing and using my highways. Governments will have to come up with another method of assessing EV owners to pay their fair share. It has to happen, so enjoy your free ride now.
That may be true in other parts of the country, but here in GA I am paying a $240+ tax on my EV to get my new tags. I suspect that this will universal over time.

Gregg Stephenson (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by flymyway
What's sad is how many people give credence to said "13 yo brat" (I think she's 16-17) when; she really doesn't know what she's talking about, she uninformed yet opinionated, she's really nothing but a puppet and sadly, just a kid being used to further a cause that's all based on emotion and lies.
Again... there's a subset of people who understand economics and market forces shifting, and then there's people haranguing a teenager. We need to study the people who are ignoring that this is in the best interest of corporations who see the writing on the wall and believe in climate change, vs pitchforks and torches for some random girl. Step back from your irrational anger and look at the bigger picture vs your focus, perhaps?

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 02-18-2021 at 12:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Dave Whitefield (02-21-2021), ferrral (02-19-2021), uclabrruin1989 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Dell
That may be true in other parts of the country, but here in GA I am paying a $240+ tax on my EV to get my new tags. I suspect that this will universal over time.
you are subsidized by the ICE vehicles. Gas tax is $0.26 per gallon. You will be paying some addition tax in the future.

Gregg Stephenson (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignorant Leaders Insure Catasprophiy by Banning ICE/Fossil Fiels

Electric vehicles have a place in transportation, behind hybrids and ICE! Ignorant politicians and auto executives cannot calculate how much additional electric grid capacity will be required to replace gasoline, diesel or natural gas, and they have dismissed hydrogen completely. As dramatically shown in Texas and the southeast USA this week, our existing generating capacity is not sufficient without the added burden of significant quantities of electric vehicles, forcing blackouts in frigid weather that insures damaged pipes, wasted COVID vaccine, and deaths! These same politicians are banning used of fossil fuels including natural gas to generate electricity, and shun nuclear. From where will this additional generating capacity come? Solar (doesn't work in all climates, and required extremely toxic chemical and processes for manufacture. Wind? Not all places have steay sufficient winds, and most people do not want to see/hear huge wind turbines near their residences or vacation spots, and wind turbines slaughter birds.Hydro? The same "greens" that hate fossil fuels hate restricting rivers and want to remove existiong dams in the western US, and we are running out of water in many rivers needed for generation, like the Colorado River, as water is diverted for agriculture and cities (Lake Meade about 50% of capacity, and soon the intake towers feeding the massive generators in the Hoover Dam will be above the water level, cutting off a major electric source for Nevada, Arizona, and southern California.
Any intelligent engineer or a real scientist can calculate how much kW each electric vehicle will use, and how much electric energy will be needed to replace fossil fuel for heating, cooking, HVAC, medical, and electronic equipment. As we take nuclear and fossil fuel plants offline to comply with "grreen" political adventures while adding more private and commercial electric vehicles into daily use, while simultaneously increasing essential electric usage for medical, information process, commercial, and entertainment, we will soon face a more immediate crisis than climate change when people turn on the switch and nothing happens!
The problems of crushed collector car pricing will be trivial when people cannot heat homes, cook or preserve food, use cell phones and computers, etc.
Of course, future leaders will be forced to order emergency measures to restart fossil fuel, ICE production, but not until they have caused incredible damage and hardship, and perhaps even major political upheavals.

The following 2 users liked this post by chickenpipe:
Gregg Stephenson (02-18-2021), jetsetter883 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:12 PM

Here in MA by simply driving the pike, I get tolled automatically via license plate #. I would imagine in an EV world, we may see these electronic tolls be applicable on some of the other major roads. True, right now that the state and feds do not want to discourage EV adoption, so there will probably be a period of tax free driving. Not that I agree with it, but barring any misappropriation or out of control increases, and general feelings of loss of freedom, seems to be the most fair method of taxing those who use the service.

Getting back to JLR specific discussion, any forum members own an iPace now? Experiences or other info would be a good to share. A Landy EV in 2024, assuming all new platform to support the transition to EV.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got to laugh!

I'm not laughing at Jaguar though. Manufacturers are hell bent on going totally electric and the infrastructure is no where close to being able to handle the increased demand.
Windmills you say? They don't work in extreme weather conditions such as cold or high winds. Solar panels? Not when they are covered by snow and ice. Also, you need sunlight and if you live in places like Michigan during the winter months; you know that you can go weeks without seeing the sun. As an example; look at the state of Texas this week.
But all is going to be ok. With residential electric bills going sky high due to supply and demand, no one will be able to afford to go anywhere anyway.

Quick Reply: JLR Going All Electric