F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR infotainment sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default JLR infotainment sucks

I've owned an Audi and an BMW in the past and this is my first Jag and boy what a disappointment the infotainment system is.

I know many of you guys care just about the car and not the infotainment system, but I'm a geek and that part of the car is just as important to me.

Even the "refreshed" 2016 infotainment feels like generations behind BMW's iDrive. The touchscreen is slow and laggy, the button placement is bad, the Nav is almost the same as my first car - 2004 Mazda RX-8's nav though with slightly better DPI.

I caved in and bought the Sygic nav as well for $75 and hoped it would be better, but it just looks clowny and not classy in a car like this. It is a step up from the JLR nav. I'm really hoping they improve the InControl platform.

I know Peter Virk and JLR keep winning awards for their infotainment, but on the ground in their latest cars nothing has really changed. I was looking forward to JustDrive but I doubt that will ever get released. The rest of the InControl apps are a crappy selection, none of which I want to use (besides probably Sygic just because the JLR nav is horrendous).

I don't expect much to change, but really just wanted to rant about how I feel like I've taken a few steps back in the infotainment department coming from a BMW

The car itself is sexy, so cudos to the design and mechanical department!!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I've owned an Audi and an BMW in the past and this is my first Jag and boy what a disappointment the infotainment system is.

I know many of you guys care just about the car and not the infotainment system, but I'm a geek and that part of the car is just as important to me.

Even the "refreshed" 2016 infotainment feels like generations behind BMW's iDrive. The touchscreen is slow and laggy, the button placement is bad, the Nav is almost the same as my first car - 2004 Mazda RX-8's nav though with slightly better DPI.

I caved in and bought the Sygic nav as well for $75 and hoped it would be better, but it just looks clowny and not classy in a car like this. It is a step up from the JLR nav. I'm really hoping they improve the InControl platform.

I know Peter Virk and JLR keep winning awards for their infotainment, but on the ground in their latest cars nothing has really changed. I was looking forward to JustDrive but I doubt that will ever get released. The rest of the InControl apps are a crappy selection, none of which I want to use (besides probably Sygic just because the JLR nav is horrendous).

I don't expect much to change, but really just wanted to rant about how I feel like I've taken a few steps back in the infotainment department coming from a BMW

The car itself is sexy, so cudos to the design and mechanical department!!
I agree with you. It really is slow.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, let's be honest. All infotainment systems kinda suck. I have a 2015 BMW X5, and while the screen graphics are slick and it is fast, it's not intuitive at all. Worse, you get glitchy performance when you stream stuff like Spotify from an IPhone. It will only show you the first song you play and then that's it. Complete BS. The JLR unit simply works when you stream anything, and it's consistent so that you never have to repair.

That said, is the JLR system as good as it should be. No. It's not so much that it's slow, but rather it's underwhelming. The graphics are not as crisp, no graphics, and no wow factor at all. InControl Apps has soooo much promise, but it's a half baked idea that appears to be stillborn. The app selection is awful (where's Spotify?). Yet if you ever have used it with music or calendar, you can see it's on the edge of genius.

They need JustDrive ASAP, and they need better integration with the balance of the interface. For example, if you pick an address in contacts, it should load it up as a destination in the Navigation. (Does Sygic work like that?? If so, I'd buy it for that alone)

When is JustDrive going to be released? That will be really cool. What's the delay??

Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Ok, let's be honest. All infotainment systems kinda suck. I have a 2015 BMW X5, and while the screen graphics are slick and it is fast, it's not intuitive at all. Worse, you get glitchy performance when you stream stuff like Spotify from an IPhone. It will only show you the first song you play and then that's it. Complete BS. The JLR unit simply works when you stream anything, and it's consistent so that you never have to repair.

That said, is the JLR system as good as it should be. No. It's not so much that it's slow, but rather it's underwhelming. The graphics are not as crisp, no graphics, and no wow factor at all. InControl Apps has soooo much promise, but it's a half baked idea that appears to be stillborn. The app selection is awful (where's Spotify?). Yet if you ever have used it with music or calendar, you can see it's on the edge of genius.

They need JustDrive ASAP, and they need better integration with the balance of the interface. For example, if you pick an address in contacts, it should load it up as a destination in the Navigation. (Does Sygic work like that?? If so, I'd buy it for that alone)

When is JustDrive going to be released? That will be really cool. What's the delay??

my BMW worked fine for me, none of the issues you described and I actually found it quite intuitive. At first I liked the idea of a touchscreen over a rotary knob, but after switching I yearn for the idrive rotary controller and even menu functions.

I'm guessing Justdrive is not ready yet which is why they're not talking about it anymore (after talking about it all of last year and winning awards everywhere for it). I too hope we'll eventually get to see it.

I think they're trying something new with Incontrol Pro for the new XF that they announced and I almost wonder if they're going to stop developing for the gen that we have.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

I must say, while it all works for me - whatever (option) is in my 2015 V6S - it all also doesn't feel very 2015! As f_in_seattle mentioned, maybe not even 2005. To some extent my 2004 Audi A8L is better equipped and feels more up-to-date or, shall I say, modern. I'm not talking the interior of the F-Type (which I generally love) I'm taking back-up camera, nav, etc., etc., etc. (I do, however, also love the rubberized temperature control buttons as well as the digitalized numerals).

Test drove the new MB C300 last week as a possible replacement, eventually, for my wife's 2006 BMW 325xi (you listening Clay?) and that's not only a stunning interior but talk about a beautiful, ultra-modern, info system!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-10-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I think if they stop at 12 lame apps for InControl apps, that would be legally actionable. I paid $400 for it as an option with the promise that it would be more fully rolled out.

JustDrive has to be released otherwise that would be the biggest embarrassment.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with you completely. I am thinking of completely reconfiguring my garage later this year.

I'm getting married, and don't want two cars. Currently I have a BMW M5 and a Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. My fiancee has a Lexus RX. The RX has to go.

But I will probably replace my BMW M5 with a Cayenne Turbo or something like that for the wife.

Now since I use the BMW for when I want top notch tech (concierge feature, advanced real time traffic, HUD, high quality navigation, Bang and Olufsen, etc.) I am concerned about being left with the Jag as my primary car. So I may swap that our for the Mercedes AMG-GTS.

It's a shame that Jag can't have an up to date car. Even the 2016 update is incremental and too little too late.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Test drove the new MB C300 last week as a possible replacement, eventually, for my wife's 2006 BMW 325xi (you listening Clay?) and that's not only a stunning interior but talk about a beautiful, ultra-modern, info system!
Yep, it's absolutely the state-of-the-art now. Honestly, I don't care because that's not the part of a car I really care about, but I can appreciate how well done it is.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, it's absolutely the state-of-the-art now. Honestly, I don't care because that's not the part of a car I really care about, but I can appreciate how well done it is.
Ah, but I know you care about the person driving the car which is not part of the car that you really care about .

I agree and like I've said, the Jag's systems works for me and, like you, appreciate how well done the MB is. It does show us all what is capable when an automobile manufacturer put their heads together. Granted, we - the vast majority of us - love what Jaguar's done with our F-Type. They got the right bits right in my opinion.

Cheers Clay.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-11-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I agree with you completely. I am thinking of completely reconfiguring my garage later this year.

I'm getting married, and don't want two cars. Currently I have a BMW M5 and a Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. My fiancee has a Lexus RX. The RX has to go.

But I will probably replace my BMW M5 with a Cayenne Turbo or something like that for the wife.

Now since I use the BMW for when I want top notch tech (concierge feature, advanced real time traffic, HUD, high quality navigation, Bang and Olufsen, etc.) I am concerned about being left with the Jag as my primary car. So I may swap that our for the Mercedes AMG-GTS.

It's a shame that Jag can't have an up to date car. Even the 2016 update is incremental and too little too late.
Not sure you're agreeing with my post or XFactoR's, but in any event...it's a question of priorities when it comes to which car to keep or get. Like I said in my last post, I believe Jaguar got the right bits very right. I bought my Jag for the looks first and the performance second. Period. (And I'm not willing to give those up for better more up-to-date tech; but I can understand how someone might want to).

Congratulations on your impending marriage.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-11-2015 at 08:38 AM.