F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an f type on a salvage auction Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Torres

Just got her back from the shop a couple days ago. Happy to report it was a very easy repair and she runs and drives straight.
Good news!
The left side of the hatch is still sitting a fair bit high, as I said earlier easy enough to fix with an adjustment or two.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Awesome. I don't think you disclosed what you paid for it or what it cost to repair (which is your business), but it appears as though the pessimistic estimates and assessments were wrong which is great for you. I hope you crushed it on this one!! Salvage cars (really all cars to some degree) are a dice roll, but I always root for the buyer to have good luck and end up with a great deal.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Good news!
The left side of the hatch is still sitting a fair bit high, as I said earlier easy enough to fix with an adjustment or two.
I didn't adjust it at all. It is the spoiler that needs a little adjustment not sure if this car rolled out with the gap like this but quite possible from what I've read lol

Old 09-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by gg2684
Awesome. I don't think you disclosed what you paid for it or what it cost to repair (which is your business), but it appears as though the pessimistic estimates and assessments were wrong which is great for you. I hope you crushed it on this one!! Salvage cars (really all cars to some degree) are a dice roll, but I always root for the buyer to have good luck and end up with a great deal.
Hey thank you for the kind words! I paid around 17k plus auction fee's. I don't want to disclose how much it cost to repair because then I will get people probably assuming I cut corners which I really didn't at all. Some people just jump to worst case scenario like the guy who told me this was a parts car on this thread lol I did however get lucky. And got a affordable body shop I know as well as sourced parts myself to save myself money. Now to decide if I sell it in the near future to buy a lotus evora or keep it. I'm in limbo on which decision to go with.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Hey thank you for the kind words! I paid around 17k plus auction fee's. I don't want to disclose how much it cost to repair because then I will get people probably assuming I cut corners which I really didn't at all. Some people just jump to worst case scenario like the guy who told me this was a parts car on this thread lol I did however get lucky. And got a affordable body shop I know as well as sourced parts myself to save myself money. Now to decide if I sell it in the near future to buy a lotus evora or keep it. I'm in limbo on which decision to go with.
I wasn't fishing for info and the comments you mentioned were exactly what I was referring to. I have been in and around the car business for many years and seen a lot of good and bad work. There are plenty of ways to save a few bucks without "cutting corners" or sacrificing quality; I don't blame you for not discussing it. Everyone has an opinion (like any tire not labeled Pilot 4S is garbage and you will die if you put them on your car), but for those that have never restored a car, worked on a salvage vehicle, or even really wrenched on an auto (I don't mean adding an iPhone holder or air freshener), it's probably better to just refrain from passing judgment. I don't have a medical degree so you won't find me looking over my orthopedist's shoulder offering my opinion of an x-ray - just saying.... Good for you. Hope you enjoyed the process; that's always the un part.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (09-06-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
I wasn't fishing for info and the comments you mentioned were exactly what I was referring to. I have been in and around the car business for many years and seen a lot of good and bad work. There are plenty of ways to save a few bucks without "cutting corners" or sacrificing quality; I don't blame you for not discussing it. Everyone has an opinion (like any tire not labeled Pilot 4S is garbage and you will die if you put them on your car), but for those that have never restored a car, worked on a salvage vehicle, or even really wrenched on an auto (I don't mean adding an iPhone holder or air freshener), it's probably better to just refrain from passing judgment. I don't have a medical degree so you won't find me looking over my orthopedist's shoulder offering my opinion of an x-ray - just saying.... Good for you. Hope you enjoyed the process; that's always the un part.
Well said, I'm just glad it's done now and I get to enjoy it. I appreciate all the help on here and look forward to being more involved in this forum.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Congrats! I was pretty lucky with my own salvage rebuild as well (mine was an Audi A3 with a V6 and did it because I couldn't find a non-salvage car with low mileage). Nicely done! What might be handy for others would be what you learned, what worked, and what you'd do differently if you were to do this again? Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
Congrats! I was pretty lucky with my own salvage rebuild as well (mine was an Audi A3 with a V6 and did it because I couldn't find a non-salvage car with low mileage). Nicely done! What might be handy for others would be what you learned, what worked, and what you'd do differently if you were to do this again? Just a thought.
What worked was taking my time and being patient to find the parts I needed at a good price while still keeping them OEM. I was also lucky to know a good body shop who didn't charge me arm and a leg. And what the best advice is to always buy a salvage vehicle that is from an insurance company some vehicles are just thrown on there and need way more work than they appear to need. Some crooks buy cars and just put new bodypanels and don't repair damage underneath.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

+1 on that last, there are a lot of salvage repaired cars out there that you'd be incredibly foolish to buy because the rebuilder just covered up much of the damage. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

What worked was taking my time and being patient to find the parts I needed at a good price while still keeping them OEM. I was also lucky to know a good body shop who didn't charge me arm and a leg. And what the best advice is to always buy a salvage vehicle that is from an insurance company some vehicles are just thrown on there and need way more work than they appear to need. Some crooks buy cars and just put new bodypanels and don't repair damage underneath.
Nice work and congrats! Care to share the shop that did the work?