F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a used F-Type - Question about my first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Just bought a used F-Type - Question about my first oil change

I bought a 2015 S V6 one week ago from a BMW dealership in San Antonio. 14,400 on the odometer when I bought it. I asked the salesman if he knew when the last oil change was and he told me that it was changed at the dealership during their inspection process getting it ready for sale. However, I have not been able to determine exactly what kind of oil was placed in the car. I'd probably have greater faith that the oil change was handled correctly if it was a Jag dealership.

Any recommendations as to what I should do? This is my first Jag and I have read on this forum that Jaguar recommends a very specific oil. I guess just any synthetic will not suffice and I just don't know what the BMW dealership used. Wondering if I should just get another oil change to assure proper protocol is met. Suggestions?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
Any recommendations as to what I should do? This is my first Jag and I have read on this forum that Jaguar recommends a very specific oil. I guess just any synthetic will not suffice and I just don't know what the BMW dealership used. Wondering if I should just get another oil change to assure proper protocol is met. Suggestions?
For your own peace of mind, do it. It is a very specific oil (with Titanium Technology!). While you're at the dealer, ask them how much they'd charge to do their own CPO inspection. If anything comes up it's soon enough you could talk to the folks who sold you the car about it.

Sure, those are both extra expenses, but you've got a swanky, almost new car and you'll probably worry otherwise.

Alternately, you can get a sample (I think it's 3 oz.) and send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Lance had a fresh sample tested and you could compare that (it's here on the forum somewhere). I have had mine tested a few times to verify that the extended change interval was going to be acceptable to me. The answer to that is yes, except for the first change from new.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
While you're at the dealer
I see what you did there. Your wording implies that oil changes should be done at the dealer and not by my local, more convenient, full service mechanic (who has told me that their shop works on some F-Types in the area). From my reading on this topic in this forum, others here seem to handle oil changes in a similar fashion. Care to comment?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I see what you did there. Your wording implies that oil changes should be done at the dealer and not by my local, more convenient, full service mechanic (who has told me that their shop works on some F-Types in the area). From my reading on this topic in this forum, others here seem to handle oil changes in a similar fashion. Care to comment?
Care to comment? Sure!

A few comments:

The subject of oil has come up before (on every car forum ever) and the F-Type does indeed specify a very particular oil. While there may be other sources, I'm not aware of any besides JLR dealers. I haven't looked because I'm still in my included with purchase (some call it free) maintenance period.

You were concerned about the specific oil, so I thought that a dealer change might be the best way to address that concern.

If you had other concerns about the BMW dealership's inspection, the Jaguar dealer could also confirm condition of the car.

If you're more DIY, pull a sample and get it analyzed and judge for yourself. That's what I've done.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 AM

I'm not much of a DIY kinda guy when it comes to cars......or yard work. I just watched a YouTube video showing a guy changing his own oil in an F-Type. He said he contacted his Jag dealership about an oil change and claims that the dealer told him there would be a three week wait!! Three week wait?? Yikes! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm used to taking my cars to the dealer unannounced and having the oil changed out, the car washed and vacuumed and ready to drive in a couple of hours. However, I've never done business with a Jag dealer.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not much of a DIY kinda guy when it comes to cars......or yard work. I just watched a YouTube video showing a guy changing his own oil in an F-Type. He said he contacted his Jag dealership about an oil change and claims that the dealer told him there would be a three week wait!! Three week wait?? Yikes! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm used to taking my cars to the dealer unannounced and having the oil changed out, the car washed and vacuumed and ready to drive in a couple of hours. However, I've never done business with a Jag dealer.
Dealer experiences here seem to vary quite a bit. I have a good relationship with mine. Range Rovers here are very popular here so they're typically pretty busy. I don't drop in without an appointment, but depending on what I need they have seen me on quite short notice.

My oil analysis results indicate that the extended change intervals are acceptable for my mileage and use.

The other reason I suggested the dealer is that it would give you a "baseline" both for you and for the dealer for any future work. Is your local dealer the same one that serviced the car from new?

Old 11-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Is your local dealer the same one that serviced the car from new?
No. If memory serves from the CarFax, the car was sold originally in Austin in something like March/April of 2016 (so, with less than 15K miles on the car, it still has a fair amount of warranty remaining) and then wound up at the BMW dealer in San Antonio. I'm in far north Dallas so the Jaguar dealer closest to me (Frisco) has yet to see the car.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

I like my dealer, so far. Called them in the afternoon to get something done and they gave me an appointment the following day. Went perfectly. I imagine they have oil in stock so I'm hoping for the same experience when it's time for that. I only let the dealer touch my in-warranty cars. Done trying to save time/money/whatever going to other places. I'm sure there are some good independent places out there... I just haven't found any. The previous owner of my F-type also seemed to like their dealer and it has service records which was nice to see.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.