F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased Type R with project 7 wheels? and Ceramic Brakes. Also is it lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just purchased Type R with project 7 wheels? and Ceramic Brakes. Also is it lowered?

New owner here. 2015 V8 Type R. I have a few questions and could use some help please!

1. Previous owner said the car has Rims from an actual 20" Project 7. Not sure if they are expensive? or if this is even true? Are these wheels an option in 2015? or later years? I have the carbon ceramic brakes so do only certain stock wheels fit over these huge brakes? or do all the factor wheels fit with them?

2. The car seems lower (less wheel gap) Then other ftypes I have seen. So am i right to assume maybe it has been lowered some?

3. How expensive is it to replace the pads on these brakes? I was told that maybe I should switch the car to steel rotors? I am scared of a $10,000 brake job at some point. The current pads passed maryland inspection but not sure how long these pads last and when to change? The car has 20k miles and I assume original pads.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (08-10-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

The carbon pads should last a very long time as long as you are not tracking the car, it's the rotors that will cost you a small fortune.

You should have many more years of service before having to think about it.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Definitely lowered. Looks amazing. Congrats!

Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Beautiful car! Congrats!

1) Car is definitely lowered, Unless you for some reason like the stock look where the car looks ready for off roading, or live where roads are horrible, be glad this was done for you already!
2) Those brakes are an very expensive upgrade option - keep them!
3) 2015R's with carbon ceramics came with wheels very similar - but most had a chrome stripe in the center of some spokes - check google images to see what I mean. They may just be those wheels where the chrome was blacked out, or they may in fact may be Project 7 wheels. Either way, you heard correctly, the wheels you have are very expensive and are some of the few that will fit on cars with the ceramic brake option.

Looks like there is very little you need to do to that car. At some future date if you are bored, you could complete the look of the car by getting the exhaust tips ceramic coated black and possibly painting the emblems black.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks great! What others said, yes its lowered. Yes, those are probably project 7 wheels (why would the owner lie). Keep the ceramic brakes. I should've gotten them on mine. Less brake dust.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Great looking car and welcome!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by gotacamaro
3. How expensive is it to replace the pads on these brakes? I was told that maybe I should switch the car to steel rotors? I am scared of a $10,000 brake job at some point. The current pads passed maryland inspection but not sure how long these pads last and when to change? The car has 20k miles and I assume original pads.
I'm not quite at 20k miles on mine yet, but at every service since new the pads and discs are measured and were recorded at 95%. There is barely any visible wear to the discs (I can't tell with the pads). About £4k a corner is the typical cost at the moment for replacing both. Baring a failure I don't expect to replace mine for many, many years (and probably never as my car will not see more than 50k miles).

Regarding the wheels - if the car was specced with the CCBs from new then I believe the 2015 R was only offered with the diamond cut forged storm wheels. Those are the same style as the wheels in your photos, but a matt black with a diamond cut finish to the rims and spokes. They have also offered cast wheels in the same storm style that were a semi-gloss dark grey. The gloss black ones were offered as an option with the P7 (they called it Santorini black). The cast wheels are frequently sold aftermarket and sprayed gloss black. You'd need the code from the inside of the wheel to tell for sure which variant you have. Although an expensive option when supplied with a new car the forged storm wheels are actually less to buy new from a dealer than a set of aftermarket refurbished ones (in the UK). I know because I have two kerbed ones in my garage that I replaced with new when I found the new cost was less than the cost of refurbishing them properly. I believe you need 20" to fit over the CCBs.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Here is a photo with both my P7 and my F Type R with CCB

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (03-25-2020)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

The wheels on your car are known as "Storm" wheels. Prior to the introduction of the Project 7, Storm was the standard wheel provided with the Carbon Ceramic Brake package. I do believe the Storm was the only Jaguar Wheel that fit with the Carbon Ceramic Brake package at that time. Most of the other Jaguar wheels do not have the proper clearance. There may have been one other wheel style introduced since the 2015 model year that also fits the CC Brakes, but I am not 100% certain on that detail.

I also have a 2015 R, and purchased the Storm Wheels after taking delivery because I like the look better than any of the other Jaguar wheel options, but could not order the Storm on the car from the factory at that time, without also ordering the CC Brakes, which I had no interest in.

As mentioned by another poster, the Storm initially had the Diamond Turned Silver face as shown on my car. Beginning with the introduction of the Project 7, I believe Jaguar fitted the Storm wheel in solid Black, and possibly a solid Ammonite Grey. On your car, with the complete Black Out package, the all black wheels look great! On my car, I intentionally wanted to maintain the chrome/silver accents on the Window Surround, Hood Vents and side Power Vents to achieve a more "Classic" look (rather than the more sinister or aggressive look of all black), thus the Diamond Turned Storm wheel was a more complimentary choice, in my opinion.

Sometimes difficult to tell if one searches the internet because there are scores of refurbished and repainted Storm wheels on the market, but I am pretty certain from my prior searches that the Project 7 Storm wheels were a matte or semi-matte black finish. Your Storm wheels appear to be a high gloss black finish, suggesting to me that these quite possibly were refurbished or repainted using a high gloss paint, and therefore not a true Project 7 wheel.

Edit: Since Zach owns both, maybe he can clear up the difference in finishes...

Last edited by IronMike; 08-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys!

Looking at Zach's Pics , the wheels look identical to his Project 7 wheels. But may be as some suggested and are just the 'storm' wheels painted. I can definitely remove the wheel and look for some numbers to find out. Any ideas what I would be looking for and where on the wheel?

Good to know the CCB will last a while. I do not wish to spend $10k plus just doing brakes. Can you just replace pads every few years? I was told by the Jag dealer that they want to change Rotors and Pads same time so the new pads 'set' right. That seems a little ridiculous.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM

The wheels used with CCB are identical , the only difference being the exposed Magnesium versus the P7 wheels which are all black painted. So you could take the regular wheels from a CCB car and paint them to be the same as a P7

Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855

The wheels used with CCB are identical , the only difference being the exposed Magnesium versus the P7 wheels which are all black painted. So you could take the regular wheels from a CCB car and paint them to be the same as a P7
could be the lighting or angle of your pictures... While the Diamond Turned Storm appears to be a satin black, which I can confirm because I bought a set, brand new from Jaguar, in OEM cartoning. Conversely, the Project 7 Storm appears to be more glossy, but also appears to be more a dark ammonite grey than a true black.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

From the barrel of a rear Storm wheel off my 2015 R.

EDIT: Ack! Thought this was a current thread.

Last edited by Krefly; 03-25-2020 at 05:41 PM.