F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JustDrive is now available! A quick take and some pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

So I had dealer look into this. They interestingly tested the app on a 2016 model in the showroom and got the same software update message on that one too. So it's not just 2015 cars that need an update.

They called the regional service rep to clarify what the software update package is, but have me scheduled for Tuesday.

@mcgriddle - can you take a pic of your software version? to obtain it press the gear symbol in the bottom left of the app screen.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

What is it using for navigation? The Sygic app you can get for InControl app, or something else?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
What is it using for navigation? The Sygic app you can get for InControl app, or something else?
Apple Maps

The following users liked this post:
CaptainHam (11-19-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Apple Maps
Oooph . . . I'm a huge Apple cultist having purchased almost every device they've ever sold, including the Apple Watch. However, Apple maps is not up to standard. This is one area where Google is far superior.

Apple maps are not updated often enough. For example, on my new property, Google had my new house and barn on the satellite view about a year ago, but on Apple Maps, it's still showing just field and forest. This is a property only 25 miles from downtown Washington, DC.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

For all of you driving yourself crazy trying to get the software upgrade to use JustDrive, let me save you the trouble. Having now spent about 30 minutes trying to use it and figure out the benefits of the long wait/development --> I hereby conclude that IT SUCKS.

Since I took delivery of my F-type in August, I have had to figure out work arounds for not having voice recognition capabilities in this car From my research on this forum, I settled on buying a dash mount for my phone and using Siri for all of the functionality I would have otherwise used if I had voice recognition in this car. I should also preface my review by saying that I use Waze -- no other GPS can compare.

The question I ask myself in terms of whether JustDrive is worth it is this -- "Does it make my life easier/better versus using Siri/Waze" My answer is that it does not. Here's why:
  1. You have to push the 'mic' button for the app to even start listening to you. With Siri that's true too but if you're plugged in to a power source then you just need to shout out "siri" and she comes to the rescue. Well, for any InControl App to work, you have to be plugged in. To me, the functionality to even get the App to do anything is already a step behind Siri.
  2. I had watched the JustDrive Youtube promo video (it is about a year old now) which suggests it will let you text someone. This first launch of JustDrive does not do that. It will call someone -- provided the app recognizes what you're saying -- maybe my thick Canadian accent threw it off
  3. Even though I would not usually use the GPS because of my devotion to Waze, I tried to use the JustDrive GPS. It was hard to use because you have to say the street and city slow enough that it knows which is which. Otherwise, you end up spending a lot of time starting over again trying to get it to understand the location you want.
  4. I must confess that I do not use my iPhone for music (I have an iPod for that). I played around with the "play" functions, but ultimately did not see any real value to them versus just plugging in my ipod directly to the USB.
  5. a last point -- the fact that the whole InControl app requires you to be plugged in is already annoying and outdated. For ease of use, I don't want to have to plug my phone in every time I get in the car. Ideally, if it connected via bluetooth then I could/would be more inclined to use any of the apps -- including JustDrive

Others may disagree and/or JustDrive may get better with time. Either way, I wouldn't waste too much of your time or getting your expectations too high. This was not worth the hype/wait and it is already obsolete (in my view).

Foosh (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks for the insightful post.

I too have concluded that a smart phone, mounted strategically, is far more useful than any car system on the road today. Even the best in the industry today, will be stupidly out-of-date a couple of years from now. It's so much easier and more cost-effective to upgrade a mobile device to keep up with technology rather than chasing the impossible dream of achieving state-of-the-art in a hard-mounted vehicle system.

What I'd really like to see is just a screen and speakers with no other functionality except to mirror whatever both Android and Apple devices are capable of delivering via Bluetooth or USB. All that would take is apps developed for whatever you want to control in any given vehicle.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-18-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
@mcgriddle - can you take a pic of your software version? to obtain it press the gear symbol in the bottom left of the app screen.
Stealth-- I couldn't find a version screen like this. When I click the gear symbol and then click software, I get the following screen regardless of whether I'm in the InControl menu screen or in JustDrive.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I literally just took delivery of my car last month and tried to use JustDrive last night and it says I need a software update. When someone figures out how to get that update, please post here. I use Spotify every day - interested in seeing the integration there.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Jaguar Land Rover just officially released a statement stating InControl and JustDrive functionality.

Unhingd (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Stealth-- I couldn't find a version screen like this. When I click the gear symbol and then click software, I get the following screen regardless of whether I'm in the InControl menu screen or in JustDrive.

Great, I have version 4633. So clearly I need to upgrade to your version.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Jaguar Land Rover just officially released a statement stating InControl and JustDrive functionality.

Thanks. I am scheduled for this update on Monday so we shall see how it goes.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Put in CarPlay/Android Auto or I won't care.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
Put in CarPlay/Android Auto or I won't care.
Yep. As has been mentioned earlier, all anybody needs is mirroring capability of their smartphone, wirelessly, with touch control. Job done.

Anything else is a waste of money, the manufacturers can't hope to compete with Apple/Android and the pace of change in the tech world.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainHam:
Arne (11-20-2015), spindoc (11-19-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM

Don't Carplay and Android Auto only support certain Apps right now? I don't think Waze works, for example. Only Apple Maps and Google Maps, no?

Full mirroring would be the best solution, no doubt.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do I have to do...

...to whom...

To get Waze support for InControl Apps.

Because I would consider most offers as 'reasonable'

Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis

I took this notice to my service appointment today and they said they looked in the SDD tool and couldn't find any software updates.

They said they would keep an eye on it and call if any updates are offered!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That is just unacceptable. They have to get this update out....it's not right.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 AM

Agreed. They should've planned a software update for older versions as the newest software version rolled out months ago.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I called Jaguar customer relations and opened a case number. They are coordinating with my dealer to get the software update.

I'll keep you all advised.

Lookout! (12-02-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I called Jaguar customer relations and opened a case number. They are coordinating with my dealer to get the software update.

I'll keep you all advised.
Have you had any updates?

My car has been at the dealer for 2 days now. Yesterday they got someone from Jag engaged on the issue, and the Jag guy wanted them to backup the car's software to a USB and upload it to a share site. Apparently they are supposed to come back with a replacement software to give to the dealer to install. However today there was absolutely nothing coming back from Jaguar.

I have a day trip to NYC on Thursday so i am debating whether to get my car back tomorrow or leave it with them till Friday. I'm hoping that the fact that a customer car is sitting at the dealer, and they are paying for a rental loaner gives them some motivation to get this upgrade done.

Quick Reply: JustDrive is now available! A quick take and some pictures