F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter for F type R

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default K&N Filter for F type R

I'll bet a lot of us car heads have heard about the benefits of a K&N engine air filter which often gets you a little more horsepower and better yet, sometimes improves the sound of ta forced air blower, whether turbocharger or supercharger. I can't recall seeing any comments on the forum (F Type) on any owners, yays or nays, on this slight "factory standard" engine modification. If anyone can provide some positive feedback, it would be a pretty cheap modification at less than $90. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

used the pre oiled filters on my porsche turbo years ago was not a good thing have forgotten what the oil damaged . replaced them with k/n dry filters and all was good . sorry for my memory laps , remember it was a small part that controlled air flow prior to the turbos

Old 07-04-2022, 08:07 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Probably the mass airflow sensor.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
Probably the mass airflow sensor.
Yep, the MAF(s).
This is a well known and documented problem with oil coated air filters like K&N but is only a problem if too much oil is used. It's meant to be only a light coating but sometimes people go overboard with the oil, usually through ignorance (more must be better, right?). Also these days K&Ns come pre-oiled but many don't realise this and add another coat.
The excess filter oil blows off the filter and coats the thin wires of the MAF which then stuffs up the MAF readings and your engine runs poorly.
It has been well proven over many years that on a well designed system like that on an F-Type, when the stock filters are clean, K&N filters don't improve air flow or power or torque or performance at all and in some cases they are worse. But they do often increase induction roar and/or SC whine, not a lot but some.
I put K&Ns in my old XFR and it made zero difference to anything.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I put BMC into the F Type (I use "I put" in the context that I paid for someone else to, because it involves getting under the car). It made a noticeable difference to engine noise (gruffer at idle) and supercharger whine. Not massive, but noticeable before the exhaust noise takes over and then again if you really punch it at higher revs. I would have liked a Hellcat scream, I got a pussycat meow. Not a particularly successful mod, but I wouldnt say it was a fail..

Old 07-05-2022, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

I have them on my F-Type and VR4. As noted above, avoid over-oiling and you shouldn't have a problem. Any HP boost is nominal, but I like the air flow for both engine and exhaust. Replacing filters on the F-Type is a moderate PIA. I believe I got mine from autoanything.com.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

correct !!!!

Old 07-07-2022, 10:07 AM
Received 254 Likes on 129 Posts

Not a big fan....great marketing and such, but the paper ones (two of them...so a HUGE amount of surface area) are darn good stock:

(more of these videos exist....)

Data to think about.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

There are air filter test results on the web. The issue with air filters is that they're confronted with two contradictory goals: having low restriction, and removing all dirt. The problem is, most air filter tests are based on airflow and/or horsepower increase only. This means that the filter with the least restriction will always win, and by definition, the filter with the least filtration ability (think: no filter paper at all) will always win the competition. I suggest searching for online air filter tests that include dirt filtering in addition to air flow. One factor cannot be used to determine "best" without the other.

Last edited by kb58; 07-07-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:01 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments and the informative collaboration. I saw enough here that really helped me conclude to stick with with the factory filter....not only the potential dirt entry issues, but also the degree of work to simply change this air filter! I thought my M/B's were a PIA, they're nothing compared to this F type with a filter change! That K&N filter would have to be really something special, like more HP and better acoustics with the supercharger, for me to spring for the filter and the labor to change it. Hell, who am I kidding anyway, I'll never hit the "miles" on this 2021 Jaguar new car warranty and I'll very likely sell or trade it in before the 5 year warranty expires, anyway!
hank you, all!

Old 07-07-2022, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

If your main aim is to improve the sound ie increase SC whine then instead of K&N filters you should go for a Mina Gallery lower intake kit.
Big increase in SC whine, much more than fitting K&Ns, mainly because it eliminates the intake baffles just after the MAFs.
Maybe a little increase in power/torque/performance definitely no loss in my experience but no useful data on this.
Not a helluva lot more expensive than a pair of K&Ns and not a helluva lot more labour than fitting new stock filters or K&Ns.
The downside is they are also oil coated filters but I believe that because they are open to the air and have a bigger surface area than K&Ns they don't need cleaning or re-oiling as often, and in any event many/most F-Type owners would likely sell the car before the filters need any work.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-07-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When I raced motorcycles about 20 years ago, we had a dyno in the shop. We tried K&N filters on a variety of bikes, along with a variety of oiling, heavy oiling, light oiling and no oiling. Not one produced more power.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (07-10-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I put BMC into the F Type (I use "I put" in the context that I paid for someone else to, because it involves getting under the car). It made a noticeable difference to engine noise (gruffer at idle) and supercharger whine. Not massive, but noticeable before the exhaust noise takes over and then again if you really punch it at higher revs. I would have liked a Hellcat scream, I got a pussycat meow. Not a particularly successful mod, but I wouldnt say it was a fail..
I also installed BMC’s last fall - didn’t notice that much difference but they seemed like better quality than oem. I have the supercharger sound in one of my others that you referenced - the f-type is a bit noisy, the mopar is straight up bananas.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
I also installed BMC’s last fall - didn’t notice that much difference but they seemed like better quality than oem. I have the supercharger sound in one of my others that you referenced - the f-type is a bit noisy, the mopar is straight up bananas.
Cheers, I had mine put in pre exhaust work, at that stage the car was a lot quieter and you could really pick the difference at idle, also pre about 3000RPM (I think) and then again when the revs got really high (which I never usually do, so it might have always been like that). Now I still get some whistle at 2000 to 3000rpm, but the exhaust is way too loud to hear it after that.