F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Chrome Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Having deleted almost all the chrome from my car, the key fob cap being one of the last chrome pieces is bothering me more than it should. I was hoping there was an OEM black option just like the badges.

Has anyone done some work on their key fob to personalize it? I just tried vinyl wrapping the chrome bit; very difficult to get a smooth finish, and also prevents the chrome cap from sliding all the way back flush. That was a no go.

I've thought of painting it but concerned about the durability, although a 2K clearcoat might be good enough. Any other ideas?
Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy some drain cleaner, needs to be the heavy duty one with hydrochloric acid in it. Then pour some in a Glass and put the silver piece in to the glass, the silver will turn black, once it gets the black you want run cold water of the fob cap then your done.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick and dirty solution? Plastidip. I'm kinda half joking. If you can tolerate it, it will work. Probably not long term though, since it's a high touch item and the Plastidip might rub off. I bought a key fob cover off Amazon that I really like

Old 10-22-2020, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHROME

Having deleted almost all the chrome from my car, the key fob cap being one of the last chrome pieces is bothering me more than it should. I was hoping there was an OEM black option just like the badges.

Has anyone done some work on their key fob to personalize it? I just tried vinyl wrapping the chrome bit; very difficult to get a smooth finish, and also prevents the chrome cap from sliding all the way back flush. That was a no go.

I've thought of painting it but concerned about the durability, although a 2K clearcoat might be good enough. Any other ideas?

Hi
Can the chrome section be removed and is it actually metal or chrome plated plastic? If yes then have it powder coated the same colour as your car.

Wayne Strutt

Old 10-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by waynestrutt
Hi
Can the chrome section be removed and is it actually metal or chrome plated plastic? If yes then have it powder coated the same colour as your car.

Wayne Strutt
The chrome cap simply slides off and yes it is solid metal, polished stainless steel I reckon (too heavy to be alu).
Should be a piece of cake to powder coat.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably better off wrapping it matte black or carbon fiber, paint will eventually peeling and cracking unless you get it powdercoated.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
Probably better off wrapping it matte black or carbon fiber, paint will eventually peeling and cracking unless you get it powdercoated.
bang....