F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, for one, do not like the keyless entry. I will stick with traditional buttons and wont be selecting the keyless entry option on my F-Type. (Here in Germany, it is an option).

The leather covers look good but I was thinking more on the lines of the pictures below.
Sigh... I guess I'll just have to stick with another one of those plastic blocks.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:17 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Or you can go full out with this $250k Agera key fob.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by De_Jag
I, for one, do not like the keyless entry. I will stick with traditional buttons and wont be selecting the keyless entry option on my F-Type. (Here in Germany, it is an option).

The leather covers look good but I was thinking more on the lines of the pictures below.
Sigh... I guess I'll just have to stick with another one of those plastic blocks.
I'm curious, why do you not like the keyless entry? I'm sure you've a valid reason but I can't fathom why anyone would not want keyless entry.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by De_Jag

Have you tried it on the F-type? I too thought it was a waste of time, until I actually saw how it's implemented on the F-type. I think it's awesome, and am glad it was part of my premium package, even though I thought I didn't want it.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 AM

One minor nitpick on the keyless entry. On other cars I've been able to hit the button once to unlock the driver's side and twice to unlock both the driver and passenger.

With the F-Type (AFAICT) it's all or nothing.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

As I recall you can change that in car settings so that they all open or one click gets the driver, 2 gets the passenger.

Larry

Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
As I recall you can change that in car settings so that they all open or one click gets the driver, 2 gets the passenger.

Larry
Hmm I couldn't find that setting. I found the option to change it to where keyless just opens the driver or both. I never was able to get it working with 2 press to open both.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

SINGLE/MULTI-POINT ENTRY
When you press the unlock button, your vehicle
will unlock in one of two ways:
1. Single-point entry: Unlocks the driver's door
only. A second press is required to unlock
the remaining doors and the tailgate.
2. Multi-point entry: Unlocks all of the doors,
and the tailgate on the first press.
To change from Single to Multi-point entry (or
vice versa), press both the lock and unlock
buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. The
hazard warning lamps will flash twice to confirm
the change.
This feature may also be set via the Vehicle
Settings menu. See 42, INSTRUMENT PANEL
MENU.
Note: If, when the vehicle is unlocked, an
audible warning is emitted, this will be a
‘Mislock’ error. There may be a fault with either
of the alarm sensors. Consult with your
Dealer/Authorized Repairer as soon as possible

The following 2 users liked this post by lsbrodsky:
Atomic (02-26-2016), Burt Gummer (03-03-2017)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Hmm I tried that previously and it only worked that way on the key fob itself, not on the keyless entry. I'll give it another go tonight.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Ended up ordering this one. Black with red stitching.

Looks like they've added some color options. Very nice!

Old 02-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Key Fob Replacement

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I'm curious, why do you not like the keyless entry? I'm sure you've a valid reason but I can't fathom why anyone would not want keyless entry.

LobsterClaws,
with the right equipment it is a piece of cake to steal your car if you have
keyless entry.
Watch this clip (in German)
Sicherheitslücke bei Keyless Go: Komfortabel auch für Diebe - SPIEGEL ONLINE
or
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...eves.html?_r=0

PS: I changed my F-Type order when I became aware of that safety hazard.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM

Fair enough. Is there a high rate of car theft in Germany? I don't know anyone who has ever had a car stolen and I live in a rather bad part of the states.

Though, it's nice to have written proof this is possible. About 15 years ago, as a teenager, I told my mother this had happened to me hoping she would believe that rather than investigate some other nefarious activities I was engaged in. Maybe now she'll finally believe me!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fair enough. Is there a high rate of car theft in Germany? I don't know anyone who has ever had a car stolen and I live in a rather bad part of the states.

Though, it's nice to have written proof this is possible. About 15 years ago, as a teenager, I told my mother this had happened to me hoping she would believe that rather than investigate some other nefarious activities I was engaged in. Maybe now she'll finally believe me!
There were ca. 18 000 auto thefts in 2015 ( presumably a considerable amount by hackers via keyless entry).

Most experts in Germany say ALL keylessGo systems are inherently unsafe.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Hmmm, this seems to me like fear mongering on behalf of the experts. Now, you have to do whatever makes you comfortable and I have no idea what the right choice is for your situation, but a quick search suggests to me that in 2014 there were over 41M passenger cars registered in Germany. So, with 18,000 auto thefts that gives you a less than 1 in 2 million chance of having your car stolen in any given year. (obviously this analysis is simplistic, since some models are surely stolen more than others and some areas of Germany are surely more prone to auto theft than others, etc. etc.).

Given the odds, I think I'd feel quite safe with a keyless entry system, even knowing they are potentially vulnerable.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm, this seems to me like fear mongering on behalf of the experts. Now, you have to do whatever makes you comfortable and I have no idea what the right choice is for your situation, but a quick search suggests to me that in 2014 there were over 41M passenger cars registered in Germany. So, with 18,000 auto thefts that gives you a less than 1 in 2 million chance of having your car stolen in any given year. (obviously this analysis is simplistic, since some models are surely stolen more than others and some areas of Germany are surely more prone to auto theft than others, etc. etc.).

Given the odds, I think I'd feel quite safe with a keyless entry system, even knowing they are potentially vulnerable.
It's also worth mentioning that attention-getting cars like our F-Types are some of the least-stolen of any cars. Typically, the cars most frequently stolen are the cars that are the most abundant, and, therefore, blend in well and don't stand out. The last thing a car thief wants is attention.

Most Stolen Cars: Is the Car You Are Considering a Target for Thieves? - Autotrader

Old 02-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
It's also worth mentioning that attention-getting cars like our F-Types are some of the least-stolen of any cars. Typically, the cars most frequently stolen are the cars that are the most abundant, and, therefore, blend in well and don't stand out. The last thing a car thief wants is attention.

Most Stolen Cars: Is the Car You Are Considering a Target for Thieves? - Autotrader
The most ubiquitous models make up the largest potential market for used (stolen) parts. Judging by the list, the owners should be giving great thanks to the thieves. BORING!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The most stolen models are the highest selling models because they are sitting on every street corner more or less--AKA a target rich environment.

If I were a car thief, I'd have a really hard time even finding an F-Type to steal considering I've never once seen one parked unattended in the real world anywhere. It's highly unlikely that any Jaguar will appear on such a list unless almost everyone built is stolen.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-29-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I ordered and just received the FOB cover BierNut recommended. (Thanks for the pointer.) I opted for the same black with red stitching that LynxFX showed, since it matches my interior. Order to receipt from China in a week - not bad!

Case looks nice, well packaged in a metal tin (like a large Altoids). A number of little extras - thread to close the top, cord loops, cloth tape, some kind of protective sheet. I haven't had a chance to sort through all the bits yet, but will hopefully get to it tonight.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow that's quick. Mine was shipped on the 25th so hopefully it comes soon. Sounds like it is pretty decent quality.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Mine shipped 2/27 with estimated delivery of 3/9-3/23. Sounds like it might arrive sooner than that.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Replacement