F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda Cool Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Fishbits, did yee not know the story of our BRG?
As I read about it, an English Newspaperman brought forth the idea of an International Auto Race in 1903, and the winner was entitled to host the next year's race. It was won by an English vehicle, but the speed limit in England at that time was 12 MPH. So, the racing locale was held in Ireland, where there was not such a low speed limit. Further, at that time the primary colors of the British flag were already "taken" as national racing colors by other countries. As I recall, White by Germany, Red by Italy and Blue by France. Therefore, the British adopted Green since the race was contested on the Emerald Isle. There have been many differing shades of BRG, but none -- to my eye -- as AWESOME as the current FT paint scheme.
As with Wikipedia, please fill in any blank spots or errors in my telling.

Last edited by 16fnrbrg; 09-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 16fnrbrg:
Misujerr (09-19-2018), Uncle Fishbits (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
Great story! Two years ago I got to see one up close at the RM auction preview in Monterey. It sold for a mere $21.8 million.
LOL. Weird connection to that... I was born in Carmel, and after moving about a bit ended up back in Monterey where I worked at the Portola Plaza front desk for a number of years. Beyond the concourse week, they also had the original TED Talks (prior to the becoming a gimmicky empire)... and it was a joy working at that property. The amount of gum alone I purchased from that small gift shop, in the shot, would be enough for a downpayment on a D-Type. WELLll... okay. Downpayment on a scale model. Maybe.

But I will tell you... every human should be gifted with the time to visit Monterey/Carmel/Carmel Valley that week. You don't even need to buy tix to events... just driving around that week will have you spotting a rare and stunning treat in 1 of every 3 cars or so. It's glorious.

Thanks for these pics. You bring back a lot of great memories. That hotel lobby is truly beautiful as well.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
Fishbits, did yee not know the story of our BRG?
As I read about it, an English Newspaperman brought forth the idea of an International Auto Race in 1903, and the winner was entitled to host the next year's race. It was won by an English vehicle, but the speed limit in England at that time was 12 MPH. So, the racing locale was held in Ireland, where there was not such a low speed limit. Further, at that time the primary colors of the British flag were already "taken" as national racing colors by other countries. As I recall, White by Germany, Red by Italy and Blue by France. Therefore, the British adopted Green since the race was contested on the Emerald Isle. There have been many differing shades of BRG, but none -- to my eye -- as AWESOME as the current FT paint scheme.
As with Wikipedia, please fill in any blank spots or errors in my telling.
Adding the wiki, because the lead picture is, umm... curious: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/British_racing_green

But the Top Gear history is a treat:

Old 05-11-2022, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jock Lawrence.

Originally Posted by Mairi Chapman
Thank you for sharing this story! I am James Lawrence’s grandaughter. 1st daughter to his 4th child. Reading your story was the first I had ever heard of great uncle John’s success or involvement with Ecurie Ecosse.
John was not talked about much in my family.
My father, was also christined James Martin Lawrence (and now goes by Martin formally; to avoid having 2 Jimmys in the family), he was one of 5 children between James and Margaret. They lived in Aberlour, Banffshire. You are right, he was the local GP. He sadly is in the nursing home now, but he is still well.
I don’t remember spending much time with my grandad till he retired, so conversation was quite low on the family history front. I’m sure my Dad or uncles may know more.
I think John was somewhat of an ‘eccentric’ character, that put his mother through a fair bit of financial trouble.
I am so pleased to know a little bit more about him. Hearing you speak of Cullen and Edinburgh gave me goosebumps. I loved visiting Cullen for the BEST ice cream Scotland has, which is a few doors from my grandads home - I am guessing this might be ‘The Wakes’ you were talking of.
Amazingly I also went to Napier University to study Architecture and Design, and knew NOTHING of the history that lay a few streets away. How sad.
My uncle Duncan (eldest son, of 5 children by James and Margaret) still lives 5 mins up the road in the gorgeous Morningside area of Edinburgh.
Thank you so much for sharing!
Mairi x

Hi Mairi,

I just stumbled on your post - I am in Brisbane. I can tell you John's wife, son and daughter all remain in Auckland. John was the service manager for the main Ford dealer in Auckland, but went back to the UK in the mid-1990s I think it was. They have remained there ever since. I have pics of them if you want them.