F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

large lower pulley by mina

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 04:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default large lower pulley by mina

anyone tried the lower pulley by mina, is nessary to change tune , have velocity tune at present , but not for larger pulley . thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I have the larger lower pulley from VAP and it does need a tune for it. If you already have the VAP tune you might already have the tune for the larger pulley on your flash tool as VAP sometimes supplies both if you ask (they did for me when I just bought the tune without the pulley). If not you simply ask them for the tune for the larger pulley and they will supply it (if you buy their pulley of course).

BTW. I might be wrong but I seem to remember somebody on this forum saying the current tune supplied by VAP works with and without the larger lower pulley. If I am incorrect somebody will correct me.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 09-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke to Mina yesterday and they stated their pulley is cheaper than VAP because its made in house and they can also supply the tune for an extra cost. BUT they said the tune isn't necessary to run the pulley, as it gives an default 18% gain in HP... the tune is for the torque curves and allows for proper use of the extra power according to Mina.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

would love to know about the tune for the larger lower pulley , have the stage 1 tune from vap,

Old 09-13-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

When I got the VAP tune I asked for two maps (91AKI and 96AKI) and noted that I was planning on installing a lower pulley at some later date. He told me that the tunes would work with the lower pulley, and also with the stock one.

I'm skeptical of claims that the stock tune would work properly with a lower pully since the increased boost pressure is not accounted for. At minimum I'd expect it to throw a code for excessive boost pressure or worse, conditions would be "off the map," i.e. beyond the range of parameters in the lookup tables. I'm not sure what the system does in that case. It probably cuts throttle, but I don't know.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
When I got the VAP tune I asked for two maps (91AKI and 96AKI) and noted that I was planning on installing a lower pulley at some later date. He told me that the tunes would work with the lower pulley, and also with the stock one.

I'm skeptical of claims that the stock tune would work properly with a lower pully since the increased boost pressure is not accounted for. At minimum I'd expect it to throw a code for excessive boost pressure or worse, conditions would be "off the map," i.e. beyond the range of parameters in the lookup tables. I'm not sure what the system does in that case. It probably cuts throttle, but I don't know.
I think you are correct that the stock (OEM) tune won't work with the larger crank pulley. VAP stated on this forum if you drive in a spirited manner with stock tune and large lower pulley codes will be thrown. However as I said above the latest VAP tune may accommodate both the stock and larger lower crank pulley but I am not sure. In my case VAP gave me two versions of the tune one for the stock crank pulley and one for their larger crank pulley.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
However as I said above the latest VAP tune may accommodate both the stock and larger lower crank pulley but I am not sure. In my case VAP gave me two versions of the tune one for the stock crank pulley and one for their larger crank pulley.
VAP will give you the tune you ask for. I got one that was "pulley ready" because I asked about it. Is the "standard" custom tune the same? I don't know either.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
VAP will give you the tune you ask for. I got one that was "pulley ready" because I asked about it. Is the "standard" custom tune the same? I don't know either.
The tune is different with and without a pulley from VAP unless you do what you did.

For the OP, since you already have a VAP tune they will update the tune for the pulley with a VAP pulley purchase. They will not update their tune for a non-VAP pulley purchase at least not for free. In short, if you already have a VAP tune, it doesn't make much sense to go with a non-VAP pulley unless you originally requested "the pulley tune" from VAP to begin with....