F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Day with my F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Last Day with my F-type R

I love everything about this car except I miss being able to shift gears myself. With 11,000 miles on it, the R and I will take a road trip to Atlanta where I have traded it for a new Corvette convertible.

Like Holden, I took a huge hit in depreciation.

I wish all of you well with your F-Types. Fabulous car, but the R needs a manual transmission.

Bob

Old 01-14-2016, 05:41 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

No matter what new car a person gets, they're going to loose due to depreciation. You had a great ride, and it's on to the next one.

The following users liked this post:
ApolloBeachRetiree (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm sorry to see you go, Apollo, but I understand. Having owned and loved two C6s (Z51 and Z06), I still have pangs of longing when I see a C7. It is an amazing car and an even more amazing value.

I absolutely would have chosen the C7 over the R, but my decision to go with the F-Type was driven more by how much I liked the V6. In my current phase, I'm kinda over cars with power I simply can't rationally use on the street.

Please post a picture of your new C7.

The following users liked this post:
ImNotFamousAnymore (01-16-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Please post a picture of your new C7...
Dime a dozen...I'd rather see pictures of the hemi GTX.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Dime a dozen...I'd rather see pictures of the hemi GTX.
Pictures of F-Type are far more common around here . . . a penny (or less) a dozen, LOL.

I like seeing what choices people make, particularly someone going from an F-Type to something else.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
I love everything about this car except I miss being able to shift gears myself.
Didn't consider a tuned V6 manual? My car is turning into the beast it should have been.

Sorry to see you go, but wishing you fun & happiness in the C7.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Didn't consider a tuned V6 manual? My car is turning into the beast it should have been.

Sorry to see you go, but wishing you fun & happiness in the C7.
When I bought my F-Type, the manual V6 was just announced. I was willing to wait but my wife insisted on an automatic. I compromised by buying the R.

I was offered the option of trading the R in on a manual V6 but, given the depreciation on these cars, I decided that it would be wise not to experience a second time.

Love the R and miss her, but I love to shift more.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I love everything about this car except I miss being able to shift gears myself. With 11,000 miles on it, the R and I will take a road trip to Atlanta where I have traded it for a new Corvette convertible.

Like Holden, I took a huge hit in depreciation.

I wish all of you well with your F-Types. Fabulous car, but the R needs a manual transmission.

Bob
I'm with Foosh on this... C7s are tough to beat in value per pound. Not to mention that the C7's appearance are in fact stunning, in my opinion. Good luck to you in making the deal happen. Please post that pic when you pick it up.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

I was offered the option of trading the R in on a manual V6 but, given the depreciation on these cars, I decided that it would be wise not to experience a second time.
You're right about depreciation, and that was another factor in my decision to go with the V6 base. The depreciation on $65K is a lot easier to take than the same percentage on $110K.

I haven't done a thorough review, it does seem that the base cars depreciate at a slower rate. I was offered a trade-in value on a manual that only reflected 12% depreciation after a year.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:50 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I haven't done a thorough review, it does seem that the base cars depreciate at a slower rate. I was offered a trade-in value on a manual that only reflected 12% depreciation after a year.
My own research corroborates this suggestion. I looked at a lot of the sales figures for used vehicles, as well as the residual value figures used by the banks and saw a similar trend. We all know that options depreciate much faster than the base car itself, so the fewer you have the smaller the impact. This obviously adjusts with spec, since for example my R has very few options since everything is factory standard. But overall the base spec sees much less depreciation dollar for dollar.

One additional piece of good news is that while depreciation was not so great on the older F-Type models (2014-2015 MY) the residual value projection for 2016 (and likely 2017) models is higher by several percent than the earlier models, so the analysts expect that the newer F-Types should hold their value better. We won't know for sure how realistic that is until sale time, but I thought it was nice to see.

At the end of the day, buying a performance luxury vehicle isn't really about resale value. Everyone knows that cars in this bracket and price range don't hold their value well. These aren't the kind of vehicle for people for whom resale value is going to be a major factor. That being said, I'll be happy once the F-Type depreciates at a rate similar to a comparable 911, though I'm not holding my breath for that.

Of course, if you never sell the car, then it doesn't really matter anyway.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's why I leased my F v8 convertible. I can always buy it off the lease if I decide to keep it and with near zero financing it makes financial sense. No depreciation issue. The last time I bought a car off lease I also was able to re-negotiate the residual and knock off the last payment and transfer fees. That's a nice savings.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ajmarton
That's why I leased my F v8 convertible. I can always buy it off the lease if I decide to keep it and with near zero financing it makes financial sense. No depreciation issue. The last time I bought a car off lease I also was able to re-negotiate the residual and knock off the last payment and transfer fees. That's a nice savings.
Smart!! Wish I had thought of this strategy a year ago.