F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lateral play on lugnuts on 4 wheels - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lateral play on lugnuts on 4 wheels - is this normal?

Hello F-typers! A little help please!
I took my 2016 R for the 6 year service in early October but didn't have much chance to drive it (a few short trips under 20 km and one 100 km trip).
Today since the weather was good, I decided to take it out - and as I got to highway speeds I felt an unsual vibration.
I stopped and checked the lugnuts and about 3-4 lugnuts on every wheel were loose - in that you could move it side-to-side with your fingers.

I limped home and tightened them to 92 ft lb but didn't noticed much tightening was needed. After retorquing the nuts were still loose. I've attached a video taken off my iphone which hopefull you can see.
I took off a lugnut and found that the stud was firm, and there were trace metal shavings on both the stud and the lugnut (like a few slivers). I also noticed that there is a washer on the wheel facing surface of the lugnut - what is the purpose of this? I've not yet encountered that.
I retorqued my wheels prior (like in 2020) and didn't notice play like this before.

After loosening the lugnut (I just tested on two) for 1 turn, I can still unscrew it with my fingers all the way and spin them back into place with fingers. I was wondering if any of you guys and gals could go to your F type and confirm if there's any lateral play on the lugnuts (i.e. this is normal), or did something catastrophic happen to my car that I didn't know about.
Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed I couldn't upload the file (which is 100 MB) - is there a different way I can show you all?

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitchf00t
Hello F-typers! A little help please!
I took my 2016 R for the 6 year service in early October but didn't have much chance to drive it (a few short trips under 20 km and one 100 km trip).
Today since the weather was good, I decided to take it out - and as I got to highway speeds I felt an unsual vibration.
I stopped and checked the lugnuts and about 3-4 lugnuts on every wheel were loose - in that you could move it side-to-side with your fingers.

I limped home and tightened them to 92 ft lb but didn't noticed much tightening was needed. After retorquing the nuts were still loose. I've attached a video taken off my iphone which hopefull you can see.
I took off a lugnut and found that the stud was firm, and there were trace metal shavings on both the stud and the lugnut (like a few slivers). I also noticed that there is a washer on the wheel facing surface of the lugnut - what is the purpose of this? I've not yet encountered that.
I retorqued my wheels prior (like in 2020) and didn't notice play like this before.

After loosening the lugnut (I just tested on two) for 1 turn, I can still unscrew it with my fingers all the way and spin them back into place with fingers. I was wondering if any of you guys and gals could go to your F type and confirm if there's any lateral play on the lugnuts (i.e. this is normal), or did something catastrophic happen to my car that I didn't know about.
Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed I couldn't upload the file (which is 100 MB) - is there a different way I can show you all?
Something is definitely wrong, no way after torqueing to 92 ft/lb should a wheel nut still feel loose or move from side to side.
Something funny going on but I have no idea what except that maybe the wrong size (too big) or thread wheel nuts have been used. Maybe some grease monkey at the dealership (assuming it was a dealership) where you had the service put the wrong nuts back on?
The washer on the lug nut is normal / OEM and simply how these "mag seat" nuts work, the washer spreads the load onto the wheel and away from the stud.

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-17-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I felt like i had lateral movement after installing spacers myself, it felt like some of the lug nuts would move and rattle by hand.
I took the car in to the local tire store and had them check, they removed and reinstalled the lug nuts - when they gave the car back I still had the same 'movement' with some of the lug nuts.I showed the technician and he told me it was caps that are used on the lug nuts.
I would certainly still recommend getting them checked but hopefully its simply the cap (I also hadn't noticed the movement before)

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:33 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

If you still want to show your video, you can sign up for a YouTube account, upload your video, and then copy the link to that video to a post here. I did that in order to email my service adviser a large video/audio file of the noise that I think is coming from the bulkhead

Old 10-17-2021, 11:41 PM

I just uploaded the video to youtube, please find the link below:

Forgive the vertical filming but it was the only way to keep the phone steady. You'll see the lugnuts next to the locking nut and the one on the bottom are loose.
Each wheel is affected.

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 12:05 AM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Lug nuts often have covers on them.

Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Acces...rs/WM8019.html

You may just be feeling/noticing the cover moving around.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:38 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitchf00t
I just uploaded the video to youtube, please find the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MkbUACQMlg

Forgive the vertical filming but it was the only way to keep the phone steady. You'll see the lugnuts next to the locking nut and the one on the bottom are loose.
Each wheel is affected.
I'm not too sure about the cover or cap thing. This does not seem normal. Usually with a cap, u torque the nuts then install the caps.

Take a nut off and look at it. Are there caps? You'd see the separation when looking at the inside. Can you jiggle while holding one?

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:54 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

weird for sure. I would have said they are just loose covers but if OP has already torqued them they cant be otherwise his wrench wouldn't have fitted over the covers ??
I suspect someone has used the the wrong bolts given he has found metal shavings
Are you the original owner ?? maybe someone had different wheels/spacer/bolts in at some stage
Are the bolts too long (edit lugnuts not deep enough ) so bottoming out in depth allowing you to reach your torque setting but not engaging the thread or rear of the head(edit washer part) of the lugnut to seat it ?

Last edited by Borbor; 10-18-2021 at 02:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Borbor:
Gnick (10-21-2021), Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:10 AM

Yes even after I removed the lugnut and retightened and torqued (with a brand new torquing wrench) to 92 ft lbs, it was still mobile.
I am the second owner, had it for 3.5 years now. No spacers, no mods, the brakes still don't need changing and it's got 57,000 kilometers on it.
Was serviced at the only local JLR dealership but after a two disappointments I went to a different dealer in a different city. For the 6 year service I was leary of going back to the dealer but didn't have time to travel so went to an independent JLR mechanic for major servicing.

About the nuts and bolts, are there more than one for the stock wheel set ups that I can purchase from the dealer? I have the 20" Gyrodynes.
I should confirm but I think the locking lugnuts were the only ones not loose.

The washer is slightly mobile but cannot slide off. It's a few millimeters thick. Metal shavings found inside (trace).

Stud is not loose. Metal shavings found on threads (trace).

Last edited by Twitchf00t; 10-18-2021 at 02:13 AM.
Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Just checked ours...no movement.

I think the locking lugnuts were the only ones not loose.
Interesting...just as a diagnostic, if you 'stacked' another washer under the lugnut would it tighten then?
I'd be cleaning the wheel to nut mounting surface too...the amount of dirt inside indicates to me that the washers have not been holding fast for some time. There isn't anything at the base of the studs that could be bottoming the lugs?

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I think the point others are trying to make is that the lugnuts may have cladding on them, so it's actually two pieces. Ford used to do this, which resulted in me replacing all the Ford lugnuts when the dealer rounded the corners on them. If you take the lugnut off, you might be able to get the cladding to move to confirm if this is the issue.

Last edited by DJS; 10-18-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:23 AM

I checked the wheels today - all 4 locking lugnuts are secured and don't move.
It's the non-locking ones that jiggle. I'm currently waiting for a response from the mechanic.

When I get back I'll move the locking nut from one stud to another to see if it moves.

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

The factory lug nuts on my 2018 were the capped type. Meaning that there is a stainless steel covering crimped around the lug nut itself. I strongly suspect what you are experiencing is the looseness of the beauty cap not the actual lug itself. Personally I hate the capped type lug and have experienced them before on other vehicles. When I found them on the F-Type, I ordered a set of chromed solid steel lugs (Gorilla but not locking) and replaced all of the capped lugs. The reason I hate the capped type is that not only do they sometimes appear "loose" but it is possible for the lug wrench/socket to round off the cap making it challenging to remove the lug itself.

My advice is replace them all with solid lugs.

The following 5 users liked this post by TX69XKE:
Awd (10-18-2021), Lucielle (10-21-2021), mikeyg1664 (10-21-2021), OzXFR (10-18-2021), Vistacom1 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I totally agree replace the original lug nuts with solid ones, I replaced mine with gorilla solid lug nuts. I was told by my mechanic and JLR that my lug nuts should be replaced. The cap becomes worn and you cannot get a 19 mm socket to seat itself. The caps can also rotate on the lug nut preventing removal. Then you're up sh..ts creek. Good luck, I also removed the locking lug nut, didn't want to chance loosing the key. I'm not concerned about anyone stealing my wheels 😜
Frank MY 16 S coupe

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
I totally agree replace the original lug nuts with solid ones, I replaced mine with gorilla solid lug nuts. I was told by my mechanic and JLR that my lug nuts should be replaced. The cap becomes worn and you cannot get a 19 mm socket to seat itself. The caps can also rotate on the lug nut preventing removal. Then you're up sh..ts creek. Good luck, I also removed the locking lug nut, didn't want to chance loosing the key. I'm not concerned about anyone stealing my wheels 😜
Frank MY 16 S coupe
Where did you buy the Gorilla lug nuts? Were they the 73138J (chrome) model?

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

+1 on Gorilla nuts. Just go to their website.

My 2021 has the factory upgraded black lugs with the Jag logo on each. Mine are tight and dont move. I may still replace them with Gorilla nuts. I've used them on all my cars.

Just to check, you should measure the length of the wheel stud end to wheel surface. Then, measure the thread depth on the lug nut. If for some reason, the nuts arent deep enough, the stud will bottom out inside the nut before it seats to the wheel surface. You'd be able to torque it, but it wouldnt be seated against the wheel which would allow for the slop and vibration at speed because your wheels would be loose.

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
+1 on Gorilla nuts. Just go to their website.

My 2021 has the factory upgraded black lugs with the Jag logo on each. Mine are tight and dont move. I may still replace them with Gorilla nuts. I've used them on all my cars.

Just to check, you should measure the length of the wheel stud end to wheel surface. Then, measure the thread depth on the lug nut. If for some reason, the nuts arent deep enough, the stud will bottom out inside the nut before it seats to the wheel surface. You'd be able to torque it, but it wouldnt be seated against the wheel which would allow for the slop and vibration at speed because your wheels would be loose.
I did go to their website but no online store that I could see. If you have link to their online store would appreciate it.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

+1 on replacing the lug nuts. I had to do that to all of the nuts on one of my vehicles because tire guys really like to use impacts to tighten them. It'll spin the cap on the 2-piece lug nuts and can make them very difficult to remove.

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by TX69XKE
The factory lug nuts on my 2018 were the capped type. Meaning that there is a stainless steel covering crimped around the lug nut itself. I strongly suspect what you are experiencing is the looseness of the beauty cap not the actual lug itself. Personally I hate the capped type lug and have experienced them before on other vehicles. When I found them on the F-Type, I ordered a set of chromed solid steel lugs (Gorilla but not locking) and replaced all of the capped lugs. The reason I hate the capped type is that not only do they sometimes appear "loose" but it is possible for the lug wrench/socket to round off the cap making it challenging to remove the lug itself.

My advice is replace them all with solid lugs.
This.
I replaced mine several years ago with the Gorilla "black chrome" ones 73138JBC, purchased from Summit Racing, see here: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gor-73138jbc
Zero problems ever since.

Lucielle (10-21-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by TX69XKE:
Lucielle (10-21-2021), RGPV6S (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Lateral play on lugnuts on 4 wheels - is this normal?