F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch control

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 02:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if you got the 'launch ready' message, just lightly tapping the throttle is NO real launch control. So apparently CGO is just thinking he has launch control, when he's basically doing what any of you could do, just without the lights.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:25 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah, I would tend to agree that unless he is seeing a definitive message on the readout of sorts he is just operating an already fast AWD car like the rest of you guys...lol

Old 08-12-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Hopefully he'll be able to snap a photo or take a video of his instrument panel during the "dynamic launch control" process so that the 2021 and newer V8 owners will know for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Cgo (08-13-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 03:03 PM

The instructions in the manual says it all IMO. 'Lightly applying throttle' is NOT proper launch control. He even posted the manual instructions to prove he has launch control... but that actually proved he really doesn't. Ha ha. You can call something whatever you want, but the facts speak for themselves. What he can definitely answer, is at what rpm he gets the dash light of 'activation ready'. But based on 'lightly applying throttle', my bet is it'll be quite low... which would be perfectly fine for a large V8 with a supercharger. So the other question some of you guys could answer (IF you're into that kind of thing) is what is the ideal rpm to launch your F-Type using brake-torquing. Based on having a supercharger, I don't think anything more than 2K rpm is needed. And whatever that rpm is, that's probably what the 'launch control' system is doing. So basically a simple brake-torque launch, but at the optimal rpm. So in a sense, that dash light is probably better than nothing, but if you know at which rpm that is, the system doesn't help launch your car any quicker. It just acts like a shift light, telling you when it's optimal to shift... or to launch. Having said that, for a proper launch, you definitely need a DCT, which do the equivalent of a clutch dump. Both systems are quite abusive, but brake-torquing can overheat a regular transmission in short order. That's why in most cases, you can only do one, and require several minutes of cool-down. So for me this is a moot conversation, since I'd never use it anyway.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-12-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:25 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
... what is the ideal rpm to launch your F-Type using brake-torquing. Based on having a supercharger, I don't think anything more than 2K rpm is needed.
I bet it's tickover - just floor the throttle and let the autobox do its thing!

Portlander (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 03:32 PM

I brought the RPM's up to 4K in my attempt to get the "launch ready" indicator to light up on the dash with no luck. Best launch RPM using brake/torque was around 2250 which was controlled but still aggressive enough on the smooth surface at the mall parking lot.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yes, Dynamic Launch doesn’t do much, mostly it disables rev matching to keep the revs up during shifts. This document describes it on p. 5.16.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0

Dynamic Launch
Dynamic Launch enhances vehicle acceleration and
automatic gear changes. The system uses driver brake
and throttle inputs to detect a ‘launch’ situation and
adjusts gear shifts accordingly.
During normal automatic gear changes, the engine’s
power and torque are reduced slightly to match the
engine speed to the transmission speed, which deliv-
ers a very refined shift.
In Dynamic Launch the engine’s torque is not low-
ered during the gear change. This delivers maximum
through-gear vehicle acceleration, through 1st and
2nd and then through 3rd and 4th gear changes. This
allows the car to accelerate more quickly than when in
‘conventional’ Sport Mode.
Because the torque is not lowered during the process,
the driver also feels a slight ‘boost’ in acceleration as
the transmission and engine speeds are matched, trad-
ing refinement for ‘sportiness’.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
Jamal302 (08-17-2023), Portlander (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 12:42 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Even if you got the 'launch ready' message, just lightly tapping the throttle is NO real launch control. So apparently CGO is just thinking he has launch control, when he's basically doing what any of you could do, just without the lights.
message comes on, floor it, the car holds the pre-determined RPM, release the brake, boom, you're off! That is launch control. You dont have to hold the rpm yourself, mash the pedal and the car holds the rpm for u.

Old 08-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I right in thinking that even in sport mode and dynamic mode on from a standing start the car is in 2nd gear unless you use the paddles to override into 1st?

Old 08-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by munchie
Am I right in thinking that even in sport mode and dynamic mode on from a standing start the car is in 2nd gear unless you use the paddles to override into 1st?
yes. For hard launches, put it into first.

munchie (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
yes. For hard launches, put it into first.
Another school of thought is that yes, the car defaults to 2nd gear on take off BUT if you mash it from a dig it will shift back to 1st gear so fast you can't detect it doing so.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:45 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Having owned two F-Types, a base model 2018 and a P450 AWD 2022, I think it would have been nice had Jaguar overtly stated whether or not each vehicle was equipped with launch control. Neither of my F-Types reacted positively to launch control instructions so I'm assuming neither had or has it.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:13 AM

Tried it again in my 2021 R with no luck so you are not alone. Is there anyone else with a 21 or newer V8 other than Cgo that has pulled this "dynamic launch" off?

Old 08-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by munchie
It kicks down to first so quick that it's fine. If you are good enough to shift at just the right moment, then go with the manual shifts. I'll take the ego blow and admit that when in Sport, the cars shifts better than I do.

Last edited by eeeeek; 08-14-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:14 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'll take the ego blow and admin that when in Sport, the cars shifts better than I do.
In D or S I find the box shifts pretty much exactly when I think it should regardless of how I'm driving (pottering or "pushing on") - does it read minds?

Old 08-14-2023, 01:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
It kicks down to first so quick that it's fine. If you are good enough to shift at just the right moment, then go with the manual shifts. I'll take the ego blow and admin that when in Sport, the cars shifts better than I do.

I mist admit I can't change quick enough on the paddles from.1st to second on a standing Starr it always flashes like crazy as it hits the rev limiter so fast.

Old 08-14-2023, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the launch control sequence multiple times on my US based '16 v6 Base with no dynamic launch message on the screen. Do the v6 bases not have launch control in the US?

Old 08-14-2023, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by HowYouDoin
I tried the launch control sequence multiple times on my US based '16 v6 Base with no dynamic launch message on the screen. Do the v6 bases not have launch control in the US?
As stated elsewhere only the V6S got launch control and the base model never got it anywhere in the world.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
message comes on, floor it, the car holds the pre-determined RPM, release the brake, boom, you're off! That is launch control.
Indeed, but that's not what the instructions you posted said, hence our confusion. They said to press the gas pedal lightly, and when the launch message says it's ready, to release the brakes, then floor the gas pedal. That's clearly just a brake-torque launch. But if it's like you just described above, then it'd' be proper launch control. So for which model were the instructions you posted??? Just curious.

Portlander (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 03:45 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
As stated elsewhere only the V6S got launch control and the base model never got it anywhere in the world.
And it was available on the 4-pot loaner I had for a weekend.
My MY18 V8 handbook has the same set of launch control instructions, so it's clearly a "one book fits all" publication - it also includes details of the auto high beam assist and blind spot monitoring, neither of which are fitted to my car.

OzXFR (08-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Launch control