F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024 | 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by XKDreams
Thats part of the problem with EVs. The people pushing for full adoption of EVs, are science challenged. And believe statements like your’s that are impossibilities. Heck, take California as an example, we don’t have enough power capacity when it gets hot and they have to have forced brown outs. As well, if it’s windy, they have to shut down entire grids. We simply don’t have enough power generation capacity to power the state as is, and we are going to rapidly move all fossil fuel useage to electricity ?
Get out of here with that "impossible" garbage, 50 years ago an electric car that drives itself and talks to the other cars around it in real time by sending information to space was "impossible." An iPhone was "impossible" once upon a time... going to the moon or orbiting the earth was "impossible..." if you go back far enough, the earth revolving around the sun was "impossible." Nothing is impossible mate, "impossible" is just a word used by people who can't see a solution that doesn't exist yet.

California may not have the power capacity right now to run 100% EVs... nowhere does. Guess what power companies do though? The same as every other business - they build their infrastructure based on demand. If the demand increases, the grid will increase its infrastructure to handle it. If the world can't generate enough power using fossil fuels (which is rapidly becoming a huge bottleneck) then other technologies will step in to fill the demand. Our power consumption is increasing at an almost exponential rate and we haven't quite figured out how to scale the infrastructure at the same rate, so yes some grids are struggling. There are a few points in our limited electrical history where this has happened to varying degrees (e.g. during war when resources were scarce) and we've figured it out, there's no reason we won't figure it out this time.

I am not "pushing for full adoption of EVs." I believe the next two or three decades will be a mix of ICE vehicles and EVs and a mix of driverless/self-driving vehicles and human-driven vehicles (whether they are ICE or EV). I'm not even sure we'll see 100% EVs in my lifetime (I'm 41) not because of the technology, but because people just can't seem to accept them and actively fight against them because Alex Jones/Tucker Carlson/insert name here says the lizard people put DNA trackers in Teslas or some garbage. Part of the reason this argument is propagating through every car forum on the planet is that 90% of people seem to believe you have to fight for one or the other, joining "Team EV" or "Team ICE" when the reality is that both will exist alongside each other for a very long time to come.

Originally Posted by XKDreams
Are they going to install point of use nuclear reactors to provide all the power needed for charging all the vehicles in a 200 house neighborhood like I live in? You can’t have an array of 20 fast charge stations stations, along a freeway, without a nuclear reactor powering them. Ask anyone that has driven a Tesla from LA to San Francisco.
Maybe that is the solution. Maybe solar is the solution, or wind, or hydro, or hamsters on treadmills. Maybe we'll have to hook up all the treadmills and exercise bikes in gyms to the grid so gym junkies drive their tesla to the gym and make some of the power to recharge it while they're there (that's actually not a bad idea, think about how many people around the world are in the gym at any one moment). Maybe the solution is something that hasn't been invented yet. Maybe the solution is a combination of all of those (that's most likely).

I do not accept that my statement is an "impossibility." At some point, whether it's two weeks from today or 100 years, the vehicle that I described will exist. Heck, now I've said it on the internet Google's AI has probably already started designing it 😂 P.S. How long ago do you think it was that an AI designing a car from a one-line concept in a forum post was considered "impossible?"

Last edited by dangoesfast; 06-19-2024 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added P.S. at end
The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 10:06 PM

OK so I got excited about the last line in my last post and kind of blew my own mind. I asked ChatGPT to give me a high-level text design of the concept car, including a prompt for an image generator AI to make a picture of it. I'm not going to post it all here because I've already derailed this thread enough from the original topic and the results are quite long, but I created a separate thread in the Off Topic forum for anyone who wants to look. If you want to talk about this concept (or tell me more about how impossible it is lol), it might be worth doing it in the new thread since poor @DMeister might want his thread back 😆

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...chatgpt-281314

This took literally 90 seconds. If you had asked me 20 years ago if I'd be able to design a hypercar concept with images in 90 seconds using a free AI system that I just talk to like a regular person, I honestly would have said "that's impossible." 🤯🤯🤯

Last edited by dangoesfast; 06-19-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2024 | 03:20 AM
|

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
OK so I got excited about the last line in my last post and kind of blew my own mind. I asked ChatGPT to give me a high-level text design of the concept car, including a prompt for an image generator AI to make a picture of it. I'm not going to post it all here because I've already derailed this thread enough from the original topic and the results are quite long, but I created a separate thread in the Off Topic forum for anyone who wants to look. If you want to talk about this concept (or tell me more about how impossible it is lol), it might be worth doing it in the new thread since poor @DMeister might want his thread back 😆

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...chatgpt-281314

This took literally 90 seconds. If you had asked me 20 years ago if I'd be able to design a hypercar concept with images in 90 seconds using a free AI system that I just talk to like a regular person, I honestly would have said "that's impossible." 🤯🤯🤯
It’s fine dude, it’s all sorta related. You bring interesting items to read and consider. As I already told you, just because we had our little exchange above there, this does not make me disinterested in your thoughts/ideas etc..I think it’s all good discussion…I personally am similar to you in terms of believing that most things can happen with time and will. I think that perhaps most people who work with/in the technology space have this sort of mindset. Believing in and wanting something to happen are 2 different things though ;-o

The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
dangoesfast (06-20-2024), Thunderjet Racing (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024 | 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
It’s fine dude, it’s all sorta related. You bring interesting items to read and consider. As I already told you, just because we had our little exchange above there, this does not make me disinterested in your thoughts/ideas etc..I think it’s all good discussion…I personally am similar to you in terms of believing that most things can happen with time and will. I think that perhaps most people who work with/in the technology space have this sort of mindset. Believing in and wanting something to happen are 2 different things though ;-o
All good mate I was just trying to keep the tone light

Turns out in-road induction charging already exists:
https://www.drive.com.au/news/first-...north-america/
https://electreon.com/
https://www.swinburne.edu.au/news/20...y-on-the-road/

What a time to be alive

Thunderjet Racing (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024 | 04:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by double-o-seven
Well, the AJ8 engine design itself (all three generations of it) is Jaguar's from Jaguar engineers, and it was simply built by Ford UK engine plants for a long time because that was more cost effective to do so, from engine manufacturing perspective.
The engines were built, AIUI, by Jaguar employees in a separate section of the Bridgend works.

Old 06-20-2024 | 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
The engines were built, AIUI, by Jaguar employees in a separate section of the Bridgend works.
I'm fairly sure that when the AJ133 started to be made in late 2008 it was the first engine made in the Ford Bridgend engine plant for JLR.
That is, no previous version of the AJ V8 was made at Bridgend.
Also, the AJ133 was a clean sheet design and borrowed little or nothing from the earlier AJ V8 and it was designed entirely in house by JLR with maybe a little help from Ford, seeing as Ford sold JLR to Tata in mid 2008 and it would not have been possible to design the new engine in the short time-frame after that sale.
The deal between JLR and Ford to build the AJ133 (and later the AJ126 V6) at Bridgend expired in December 2020 and after that JLR moved production to their new multi-billion $ engine plant at Wolverhampton.
I believe the AJ133 and AJ126 are still to this day being built at Wolverhampton but it seems they will probably be discontinued soon seeing as they cannot meet the ever more swinging fuel economy and CO2 dictats of our Lords and Masters.
However it seems that there may be life yet in those old dogs as JLR have just released an all-alloy redesign of the problematic plastic upper cross-over coolant pipe (the one on the top/front of the engine in plain sight), and why would they do that if those engines were about to be scrapped?

Old 06-20-2024 | 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Ferrari expects to get over $500K for their first EV.
Most of them will likely do less than 1000 miles a year and spend mucho time being serviced at great expense.
But I do not think Jaguar is in the same league of selling to very high net worth individuals who like to show off their expensive toys.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...er-500k-report

Thunderjet Racing (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024 | 10:08 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I believe the AJ133 and AJ126 are still to this day being built at Wolverhampton but it seems they will probably be discontinued soon seeing as they cannot meet the ever more swinging fuel economy and CO2 dictats of our Lords and Masters.
They have moved to BMW 4.4 V8s for the new Range Rovers, I believe (Harry's Garage latest video shows one in action). Shame to give up on such a great engine.

Old 06-20-2024 | 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
However it seems that there may be life yet in those old dogs as JLR have just released an all-alloy redesign of the problematic plastic upper cross-over coolant pipe (the one on the top/front of the engine in plain sight), and why would they do that if those engines were about to be scrapped?
Wait, there are JLR part numbers for metal coolant lines that we can order to replace our plastic hoses now?

The following 2 users liked this post by gearFX:
Carbuff2 (06-20-2024), Turko (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024 | 04:19 PM

At the Car show I was at least weekend there were plenty of cars from the 50's 60's and 70's. My old car club is still thriving and the last model year of that specific model was 2008. I'm confident the FTYPES will still be around for years to come. As long as the enthusiasts of the car make a demand for parts someone will make them.