Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
My local dealer is not quite good when it comes to phone calls so it's having some delays here.
Is your local dealer the one that did this repair? If yes, you want someone else working on this, as they will be motivated to cover it up. JLR penalizes dealers for redos on warranty work.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Don't know which dealership you use. We used to live in Charleston, that dealership was ok-ish. I've heard that Hilton Head is good, but I've never been there. Charlotte is where we bought our last two F Paces from, and they have been the best for us. I also haven't had any warranty claims through them though.
I had the Greenville dealer did the inspection. They are actually pretty great at what they are doing but they need more hands to answer phone calls. Charleston and Hilton Head dealers are too far for me. I'm not going for a 3-hour drive to get the car checked.

JacksonvilleJag (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Is your local dealer the one that did this repair? If yes, you want someone else working on this, as they will be motivated to cover it up. JLR penalizes dealers for redos on warranty work.
Nop, it's one of the Atlanta dealers who did this work. I am not giving out exactly which one just yet. My local dealer in Greenville pointed me out all these issues after I discovered the oil leak and brought it to them.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM

I originally thought the Greenville dealer will do a crappy job locating issues due to their size and lack of men power, but they actually are quite helpful except the ability to take a phone call due to them being quite busy.

SinF (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 01:18 PM

The plot thickens. If the last owner had no problems, why would dealer go into such involved yet specific repair? I never heard of that specific mode of failure - worn lifter. All I ever read suggest that engines on F-type very occasionally oil starve and get totaled. At much higher age/mileage there is timing chain issues. Sometimes injectors go bad. Basically, a solid engine with a few known issues.

Also, why the job was botched to the point that it leaking oil? If they had heads out, did they machine them to level?

This is like getting leprosy in 2020. How the heck did it happen?
I wish I know my friend, the last owner traded this out for another car(in a non Jag dealer) but that wouldn't affect my warranty status as it is transferable and bonded to the car. Greenville dealer thinks the oil on the bottom all came from the front but they need to dig further to give a definite answer. I know all the main issues the car could have but definitely not the worn lifter that gets poorly fixed. I'm not afraid of the common issues with any car but this type of weird stuff really freaks me out.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 PM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Just perusing the photos, the weld in photo #6 looks as if it was done in situ (the irregular shape, burn marks on the surrounding metal), is this housing supposed to be welded or is this a repair? I have a 15, so can't compare, but doesn't seem factory quality.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by rbr
Just perusing the photos, the weld in photo #6 looks as if it was done in situ (the irregular shape, burn marks on the surrounding metal), is this housing supposed to be welded or is this a repair? I have a 15, so can't compare, but doesn't seem factory quality.
I am not sure, if anyone here have a 16 R please help to check. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of the factory like that. I have seen the factory assembly line video(door gets slammed, ppl's *** rubbing on the paint of the car etc.) our cars are built but not with much care compared to other brands. I went for a speed run today and the car still drives well despite the mess in the front.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

... our cars are built but not with much care compared to other brands.
Out of interest, which brands do you think are built with "much care"?

Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Out of interest, which brands do you think are built with "much care"?
I'd personally feel that Porsche of the same era always had a slightly better build quality. Aston in my experience had always been very caring from the perspective of customer relationships. I can't say about the Italian brands, not enough experience with that section. My old Aston gave me loads of issues here and there but I love the car and the brand regardless. I love Jag just like many other cars, I like them and I accept their imperfection in the brand as a whole.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

This is like getting leprosy in 2020. How the heck did it happen?
Armadillo.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 PM

Update: The car is in for AC work today, talked to the corporate with the service advisor. The corporate office rep is complete trash, not willing to help AT ALL. The corporate office said there are only 2 ways to do it:1 goodwill repair by the Atlanta dealer(one who messed it up in first place) 2. out of pocket. Neither of these made any sense at all, it's a half-*** repair done under the new car warranty at the time(new car warranty ended in 2020.5 when I bought the car). During this phone call, I have heard some of the most absurd things in life. The representative said 'the warranty does not cover the repair but the cost of the repair', she also said 'there is nothing the corporate can do' and refuse to make a claim instead of a reference number(which is useless). She got extremely annoyed when I ask her why the corporate can't do anything. In normal logic, the warranty covers the repair. When the repair is not done right and being found by another dealer, the corporate can enforce the redo on the incorrect service by 1. telling the Atlanta dealer to fix it. 2. cover the expense so I can let the guys at Greenville get it done. But in reality, Jaguar USA with its representatives decided that there is NOTHING they can do. I also expressed the reason why I don't want this car to go to the Atlanta dealer(as they can **** it up in the first place, how can you be so sure they won't **** it up in round 2?) But I guess the only way is that I get hold to the ATL dealer.
Since I bought the car through a non-Jag dealer, the rep also recommended me to 'ask the selling dealer if they have done it' (I'll not say which dealer yet, but it is a new car dealer and a high end one, they are also very close to a Jag dealer where the supercharger has been checked out. So yes, the work on this car was done at Jag. And don't forget the warranty goes with the car)
p.s If anyone at corporate is reading this post, please actually do something! Be a decent manufacturer, and just cut the bull. I don't like to trash talk about a company I like, but the experience has been VERY bad for now.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Update: The car is in for AC work today, talked to the corporate with the service advisor. The corporate office rep is complete trash, not willing to help AT ALL. The corporate office said there are only 2 ways to do it:1 goodwill repair by the Atlanta dealer(one who messed it up in first place) 2. out of pocket. Neither of these made any sense at all, it's a half-*** repair done under the new car warranty at the time(new car warranty ended in 2020.5 when I bought the car). During this phone call, I have heard some of the most absurd things in life. The representative said 'the warranty does not cover the repair but the cost of the repair', she also said 'there is nothing the corporate can do' and refuse to make a claim instead of a reference number(which is useless). She got extremely annoyed when I ask her why the corporate can't do anything. In normal logic, the warranty covers the repair. When the repair is not done right and being found by another dealer, the corporate can enforce the redo on the incorrect service by 1. telling the Atlanta dealer to fix it. 2. cover the expense so I can let the guys at Greenville get it done. But in reality, Jaguar USA with its representatives decided that there is NOTHING they can do. I also expressed the reason why I don't want this car to go to the Atlanta dealer(as they can **** it up in the first place, how can you be so sure they won't **** it up in round 2?) But I guess the only way is that I get hold to the ATL dealer.
Since I bought the car through a non-Jag dealer, the rep also recommended me to 'ask the selling dealer if they have done it' (I'll not say which dealer yet, but it is a new car dealer and a high end one, they are also very close to a Jag dealer where the supercharger has been checked out. So yes, the work on this car was done at Jag. And don't forget the warranty goes with the car)
p.s If anyone at corporate is reading this post, please actually do something! Be a decent manufacturer, and just cut the bull. I don't like to trash talk about a company I like, but the experience has been VERY bad for now.
My nearby dealership, Rusnak Jaguar, tried to lie to me and upsell me a set of tires I do not need. So...I'm not surprised. Don't hesitate to consult attorney if you can't get an answer from corp. Do not let your warranty run out on this.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your continued misdventures. You should not be paying out of pocket on CPO car (is it?) for something that was not properly done as a warranty repair. The reason they are piling up BS on you is that they KNOW this has a high probability of requiring a new engine, a very expensive ordeal they would rather not pay for. There are two issues here - a) the car is not fit for use and should be repaired, b) the repair under warranty was not performed successfully. b) is not your problem and don't get pulled into how/why and who pays for this mess. a) can be resolved in a few ways - car was sold to you unfit for use, go after seller; car has coverage as CPO and is unfit for use, go after JLR.

Try escalating it to UK HQ, CSR read forums here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ip-centre-101/

However, if the car is not under any kind of warranty right now and was not sold as certified, then you can only realistically go after seller or dealer that performed repair. JLR does not have obligation to you outside of honoring warranty.

Last edited by SinF; 06-26-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Sorry to hear of your runaround...

An anecdote:

Many years ago, I brought a company-owned vehicle in for rough erratic shifting. The dealer opted to rebuild the automatic trans that had ~12K miles on it.

A year and 20K miles later, more transmission issues became apparent. This time, the manufacturer refused to do anything about it under warranty, saying that the car's 3 year/36,000 warranty did not apply, as repairs were only guaranteed for 12K miles!

Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
My nearby dealership, Rusnak Jaguar, tried to lie to me and upsell me a set of tires I do not need. So...I'm not surprised. Don't hesitate to consult attorney if you can't get an answer from corp. Do not let your warranty run out on this.
Absolutely! I'm gonna defend my rights on this for sure. Honestly, I feel like some of the dealers just shouldn't be operating.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your continued misdventures. You should not be paying out of pocket on CPO car (is it?) for something that was not properly done as a warranty repair. The reason they are piling up BS on you is that they KNOW this has a high probability of requiring a new engine, a very expensive ordeal they would rather not pay for. There are two issues here - a) the car is not fit for use and should be repaired, b) the repair under warranty was not performed successfully. b) is not your problem and don't get pulled into how/why and who pays for this mess. a) can be resolved in a few ways - car was sold to you unfit for use, go after seller; car has coverage as CPO and is unfit for use, go after JLR.

Try escalating it to UK HQ, CSR read forums here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ip-centre-101/

However, if the car is not under any kind of warranty right now and was not sold as certified, then you can only realistically go after seller or dealer that performed repair. JLR does not have obligation to you outside of honoring warranty.
Thank you, I am considering reaching UK HQ. The car was sold in 2018 as a CPO to the last owner. The new car warranty ran out in May 2020. The CPO warranty will last to May 2021 so that I have a warranty and it goes with the car, not person.

SinF (06-29-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Sorry to hear of your runaround...

An anecdote:

Many years ago, I brought a company-owned vehicle in for rough erratic shifting. The dealer opted to rebuild the automatic trans that had ~12K miles on it.

A year and 20K miles later, more transmission issues became apparent. This time, the manufacturer refused to do anything about it under warranty, saying that the car's 3 year/36,000 warranty did not apply, as repairs were only guaranteed for 12K miles!
Ouch, that is indeed very painful to hear. At least for my situation, the mileage is far below(25k) and one year left. The only problem is that the USA corporate isn't taking responsibility. I will talk to the GM of the dealer who performed the improper repair and see how that goes.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you, I am considering reaching UK HQ. The car was sold in 2018 as a CPO to the last owner. The new car warranty ran out in May 2020. The CPO warranty will last to May 2021 so that I have a warranty and it goes with the car, not person.
You have CPO warranty, ask them to provide refusal of coverage in writing. Don't threaten lawyers yet, as everyone circles the wagons when that happens.

Also, I highly recommend you do engine oil analysis. I use these guys: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...dard-analysis/

Oil analysis, assuming oil has some mileage on it, will show you if there is bearing damage (i.e. copper in oil). It is a quick and relatively painless way to answer "what about the rest of the engine" question.

The only problem is that the USA corporate isn't taking responsibility.
It could be the case of framing this problem. You need to ask them to fix multiple oil leaks then let them figure out why it is leaking. If you are asking them to redo warranty repair, while technically the same thing, they have easier time denying redo vs. address the issue.

However, at this point you need to have independent assessment of the root cause. Something that you can use to hold everyone accountable.

The issue could be as trivial as valve cover bolts not torqued correctly to as complicated as heads are warped due to improper handling. You need to know what it is.

Last edited by SinF; 06-29-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM

You have CPO warranty, ask them to provide refusal of coverage in writing. Don't threaten lawyers yet, as everyone circles the wagons when that happens.

Also, I highly recommend you do engine oil analysis. I use these guys: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...dard-analysis/

Oil analysis, assuming oil has some mileage on it, will show you if there is bearing damage (i.e. copper in oil). It is a quick and relatively painless way to answer "what about the rest of the engine" question.

It could be the case of framing this problem. You need to ask them to fix multiple oil leaks then let them figure out why it is leaking. If you are asking them to redo warranty repair, while technically the same thing, they have easier time denying redo vs. address the issue.

However, at this point you need to have independent assessment of the root cause. Something that you can use to hold everyone accountable.

The issue could be as trivial as valve cover bolts not torqued correctly to as complicated as heads are warped due to improper handling. You need to know what it is.
Thank you my friend, I will get that done once the redo is performed. I just contacted the Jaguar Gwinnett's GM and he said he will get hold onto his service guy and have this redo. I'll then take it for inspection for quality check. If anyone knows a good independent around upstate SC or around Atlanta GA please let me know.

SinF (07-02-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:55 PM

Another problem is that the oil that is currently in the car was fairly new(replaced along with filter when the job was done in 2020/4

Quick Reply: Leak...