Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 15 FType 281
All i can say jaguny is be very careful when touching or moving those coolant lines, you don't realize it but they have become very brittle. I'd suggest buying the overflow lines that come from the reservoir to the front of the engine from a dealer , they are reasonable, $25-30. Just to be on the safe side.Takes 3 minutes to install if you need to. cya.
My car is still under warranty and if some stress damage is visible, but not leaking, thinking to ask dealer to replace.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be in good shape , you have a 2016 so you should be good. The bad part is you don't know how brittle they are becoming until it's too late, how could you unless you try to flex them. I replaced mine and i removed the engine shroud to allow the heat to escape. Good luck, and Happy Travels.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

All i can say jaguny is be very careful when touching or moving those coolant lines, you don't realize it but they have become very brittle. I'd suggest buying the overflow lines that come from the reservoir to the front of the engine from a dealer , they are reasonable, $25-30. Just to be on the safe side.Takes 3 minutes to install if you need to. cya.
I have the part you are talking about new and ready to install and would love to know how to remove the old part and install the new part in 3 minutes!
I have a thread or some posts around here somewhere about how one of those little plastic tubes (two of them across the top front of the engine) on mine went brittle and cracked and I MacGyvered a fix for it which has been problem free for some 18 months now, but I am still worried that the other little tube will crack and leak one day soon.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 PM

The lines that i'm referring to are the lines from your reservoir to the front of the engine. My lines had clips attached to them, very easy to remove and install the new ones. I was impressed how easy it was. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

The lines that i'm referring to are the lines from your reservoir to the front of the engine. My lines had clips attached to them, very easy to remove and install the new ones. I was impressed how easy it was. Good luck.
Yep, I know exactly the lines you are talking about but after I had a fiddle with the clips I couldn't see an easy let alone a very easy way release them.
There is a simple clip/spring at the coolant reservoir end so no problem there, I am talking about the two clips/connections at the other end, front/top of the engine.
One looks like it shouldn't be too hard to undo but the other (lower down) looks like a PITA to get to and difficult to release without breaking the clip, so I'm looking for detailed instructions on how to gently undo those two connections.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 PM

I had a very small narrow screw driver and i gently lifted one side of the clip as i applied pressure and it released enough that i could than do the same to the other side of the clip. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:46 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Who did the work to replace your coolant lines? I live north of Boston and would like to know In case I need to address this on my car. 2014 s v8

Thank you

Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Default 2015 F Type hose

Fortunately i had a shop close to me that did the repairs HONEST 1 AUTO, my problem was more severe than just the lines on top, they had to remove the Super Charger to get to the line underneath. I saw the issue and took pictures, sent them to Jaguar and they refused to do anything, knowing there is a problem with these POS lines. cost me $900. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

May I ask, am I correct that NO FIX to leaking plastic hoses are available? I am into buying used F-Type V6S as my dream car and reading for months on this forum this is the only issue that is making me reconsidering the purchase. Basically we all know that all cars have something, but here even the water pump is a new design, supercharger spring can be replaced by fixed etc... But this is seriously like a ticking bomb if as little as 20k miles can destroy the lines and in worst scenario you will be trapped somewhere thousands of miles from home or with dead overheated engine. I wouldn't mind to replace all the lines, but it seems to me that there si no improved design/solution? Thank you!

Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 AM

If you are in the market for a F TYPE mine is for sale, 2015 White with Jag Black wheels, it's listed on Auto Trader.Com. Reason for selling, i'm 72 with Diabetus, hard for me to get in and out. Excellent condition, Please read add.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are in the market for a F TYPE mine is for sale, 2015 White with Jag Black wheels, it's listed on Auto Trader.Com. Reason for selling, i'm 72 with Diabetus, hard for me to get in and out. Excellent condition, Please read add.
Wrong continent I am afraid... Good luck with the sale and also I wish you all the best.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
May I ask, am I correct that NO FIX to leaking plastic hoses are available?
It is my understanding that Jaguar revised the specification of the plastic lines to make them more robust. So if you had the latest part numbers you would be in good shape.

That said, removing the plastic engine cover makes even the old plastic last longer.

Does anyone know if you could determine newer parts, visually?

Old 01-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Fortunately i had a shop close to me that did the repairs HONEST 1 AUTO, my problem was more severe than just the lines on top, they had to remove the Super Charger to get to the line underneath. I saw the issue and took pictures, sent them to Jaguar and they refused to do anything, knowing there is a problem with these POS lines. cost me $900. Good luck.

Sorry to hear of your experience.

I wonder could you post the photos you took, they may be helpful to others

Old 01-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I just purchased my 2014 F Type S V8 3 weeks ago. It has 39k on it. After reading this thread I went and looked
more closely at the service records and it appears the water pump was replaced in June of 2016 at 23k miles.
Should I be concerned that there was a failure or is there a chance that it was replaced due to just leaking? Would the June 2016 replacement part be the improved water pump part?

Also this morning I checked the coolant fluid level in the reservoir and it was below the min mark 1/4 inch or so. I was not getting a low coolant message.
My 2004 xj8 is super sensitive and gives me a warning if the level is right at min. This also concern's me that it was below min and no message came up.
Temp was right in the middle of the gauge as well.

Also the hoses I can see all look good with not leaks or crustiness at the connections.
The upper small hoses have the mesh covers. This is an early car made in April of 2013. Would the mesh covers been on a car built this early or were they already replaced?
I guess after reading all the coolant leaking stories I am now very concerned...... dreaded internet the sky is falling ha!
The car was clean and I don't think the dealer would have cleaned under the hood that well. Here is a couple of pictures of under the bonnet with the cover removed.
Any and all comment are welcome so I can know where to look for leaks.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
It is my understanding that Jaguar revised the specification of the plastic lines to make them more robust. So if you had the latest part numbers you would be in good shape.

That said, removing the plastic engine cover makes even the old plastic last longer.

Does anyone know if you could determine newer parts, visually?
Another similar question: when were the more robust coolant pipes first built into these cars?

Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Another similar question: when were the more robust coolant pipes first built into these cars?
I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that when JLR updated the timing gear (chains, tensioners etc) from the 6.3 mm to the 8.0 mm wide chains they also updated the dodgy coolant pipes. And that the V6 (AJ126) got the good gear from the get go. So some time in 2013/2014, and if so pretty much all if not really all F-Types should have the improved gear.
With one exception - the front coolant cross-over pipe (the big one top front of the engine).
On the older AJ133 SC (like my 2010 XFR) this was alloy and completely trouble free but they changed it to the extremely problematic plastic one around 2012/2013.
And it's not backwards compatible so you can't swap out your dodgy plastic one for the old and muuuch better alloy one.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
J444G (01-04-2020), JgaXkr (01-03-2020), Queen and Country (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Serendipitous that coolant and coolant loss should become one of the hotter recent topics right around the time that I start noticing the latter in my own ride.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my coolant level was a good finger width below the min line.
I procured the appropriate coolant, topped it up, and kept an eye on it.
Sure enough, after the next solid day of driving around it had dropped again.
So I made an appointment with the dealer.
They pressure-tested it today and could find no issues. What's more, when I brought the car in this morning, the service advisor told me that losing coolant was normal for their vehicles, and that they are continually performing coolant top-ups. However I can't help but to find myself dubious, as this issue is new for me.

(On the bright side, they ordered in some new exhaust parts I still had squeaky valves around 1,000 rpm.)

Old 01-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Serendipitous that coolant and coolant loss should become one of the hotter recent topics right around the time that I start noticing the latter in my own ride.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my coolant level was a good finger width below the min line.
I procured the appropriate coolant, topped it up, and kept an eye on it.
Sure enough, after the next solid day of driving around it had dropped again.
So I made an appointment with the dealer.
They pressure-tested it today and could find no issues. What's more, when I brought the car in this morning, the service advisor told me that losing coolant was normal for their vehicles, and that they are continually performing coolant top-ups. However I can't help but to find myself dubious, as this issue is new for me.

(On the bright side, they ordered in some new exhaust parts I still had squeaky valves around 1,000 rpm.)
I call BS on the bolded bit.
Since I fixed my coolant leak some two years ago now the coolant reservoir level has not dropped one iota and I haven't had to add a single drop.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 05:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
They pressure-tested it today and could find no issues.
A few decades ago I had new company car which lost coolant. I took it to the dealer who pressure tested it and found no found. However, while the tech was looking under the car he touched a hose which just pulled off the mounting - the securing clip hadn't been tightened in the factory (Vauxhall/GM, before you ask!). So I'm not convinced pressure testing is that effective.

Incidentally, the same car also used a bit of oil, which I'd never experienced with Vauxhalls before and was told "modern engines always burn a bit of oil". During the first service, they noticed that the seal on the oil pump was leaking a bit so fixed it and, completely coincidentally of course, the engine stopped "burning oil".

Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Agree with Oz. It's a fully sealed system and should have zero coolant leak! I've not had to top up my XF in 7 years of driving it and nothing on the F-Type either. Same with oil

There is a leak. They just can't find it. Take it back! If it looses coolant suddenly and overheats the engine can warp and be destroyed in seconds. I would not take that risk

The coolant has to be going somewhere. If they are sure it's not leaking out somewhere then maybe a bad head gasket which is bad news...
But most often it's the plastic header tank or one of the plastic coolant pipes - or a poor join somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (01-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced