F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

So yesterday as I described I had low coolant in the tank about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch below MIN. I topped it of and ran the car to temperature. Btw the car has not overheated or shown any rise in temp since I have owned it.(3 weeks)
Temp has been steady in the middle of the bar gauge is this normal?

Checked all the hoses and connection looked clean and secure.

This morning I checked when the car was cold and the level was at min. So ran the car to temp and the level rose to max. I assume this is normal expansion and contraction of the fluid
within the system. I did another quick check of the hoses and connections this time I checked around the firewall and found this a loose clamp floating around on the hose with some kind of tool still attached to it?
The blue piece is the tool.
Does this look like a dealer tool or maybe a tool from the factory build and the clamp never got secured? This hose has the mesh on it possible replacement part?? I am attaching a picture. The tool looks to me to be
used to keep the clamp open so you can slide it into position and release it.

Any thoughts from a Jag tech out there would be great.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

After following this thread I decided to check the coolant level in my 2014 V6S. It was ~1/4" below the min level on the expansion tank. I did discover how coolant can get out of the system even though it is sealed - If the cap on the tank is not screwed on tightly (at least two or three clicks). When I went to add coolant to the tank I found the cap was loose and there was evaporated coolant crust inside the cap. It wasn't ridiculously loose but it did not click like a properly tightened one does when you unscrew it.

BTW the following orange coolant meets the spec on the sticker on the expansion tank - WSS-M97B44-D

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...850/7020008-P#

Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that when JLR updated the timing gear (chains, tensioners etc) from the 6.3 mm to the 8.0 mm wide chains they also updated the dodgy coolant pipes. And that the V6 (AJ126) got the good gear from the get go. So some time in 2013/2014, and if so pretty much all if not really all F-Types should have the improved gear.
With one exception - the front coolant cross-over pipe (the big one top front of the engine).
On the older AJ133 SC (like my 2010 XFR) this was alloy and completely trouble free but they changed it to the extremely problematic plastic one around 2012/2013.
And it's not backwards compatible so you can't swap out your dodgy plastic one for the old and muuuch better alloy one.
If this is correct that would be great... So me wanting MY2016 V6S should be safe, except the front top cross-pipe am I correct? And that front top piece haven't been upgraded by Jaguar correct?

Old 01-04-2020, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
After following this thread I decided to check the coolant level in my 2014 V6S. It was ~1/4" below the min level on the expansion tank. I did discover how coolant can get out of the system even though it is sealed - If the cap on the tank is not screwed on tightly (at least two or three clicks). When I went to add coolant to the tank I found the cap was loose and there was evaporated coolant crust inside the cap. It wasn't ridiculously loose but it did not click like a properly tightened one does when you unscrew it.

BTW the following orange coolant meets the spec on the sticker on the expansion tank - WSS-M97B44-D

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...850/7020008-P#
yes dexcool is a orange coolant that meets the spec. I have used it in my 2004 xj8

Old 01-04-2020, 10:35 PM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

I vaguely recall reading somewhere else that when JLR updated the timing gear (chains, tensioners etc) from the 6.3 mm to the 8.0 mm wide chains they also updated the dodgy coolant pipes. And that the V6 (AJ126) got the good gear from the get go. So some time in 2013/2014, and if so pretty much all if not really all F-Types should have the improved gear.
With one exception - the front coolant cross-over pipe (the big one top front of the engine).
On the older AJ133 SC (like my 2010 XFR) this was alloy and completely trouble free but they changed it to the extremely problematic plastic one around 2012/2013.
And it's not backwards compatible so you can't swap out your dodgy plastic one for the old and muuuch better alloy one.
Originally Posted by BritCars
Agree with Oz. It's a fully sealed system and should have zero coolant leak! I've not had to top up my XF in 7 years of driving it and nothing on the F-Type either. Same with oil

There is a leak. They just can't find it. Take it back! If it looses coolant suddenly and overheats the engine can warp and be destroyed in seconds. I would not take that risk

The coolant has to be going somewhere. If they are sure it's not leaking out somewhere then maybe a bad head gasket which is bad news...
But most often it's the plastic header tank or one of the plastic coolant pipes - or a poor join somewhere.
Oh boy.

It just occurred to me upon reading your post that I have in fact been noticing white fumes in the rearview on start up lately. It must be new since it's never drawn my attention before. It's been raining a lot, so I'd initially subconsciously dismissed it as water evaporating out of the tail pipe.

I threw a bunch of "Well did you check this? How about this? Now what about that?" questions at the dealer via email just now. They still have the car. We'll see what they say come Monday.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Oh boy.

It just occurred to me upon reading your post that I have in fact been noticing white fumes in the rearview on start up lately. It must be new since it's never drawn my attention before. It's been raining a lot, so I'd initially subconsciously dismissed it as water evaporating out of the tail pipe.

I threw a bunch of "Well did you check this? How about this? Now what about that?" questions at the dealer via email just now. They still have the car. We'll see what they say come Monday.
Hi Luc, I have my car stored out in your area. I recently took it out a few times during the nice Christmas weather (8 - 11 degrees C) and I do notice that there is water vapour (the "white smoke") that is visible about 7 seconds after start up, and the loudness doesn't decrease until about a minute later. The cloud thins out but doesn't disappear. I just assumed it was cold.

When I had the car in a heated (20 degree C) parkade, the loudness took about less than half the time before resuming the quiet idle.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twitchf00t
Hi Luc, I have my car stored out in your area. I recently took it out a few times during the nice Christmas weather (8 - 11 degrees C) and I do notice that there is water vapour (the "white smoke") that is visible about 7 seconds after start up, and the loudness doesn't decrease until about a minute later. The cloud thins out but doesn't disappear. I just assumed it was cold.

When I had the car in a heated (20 degree C) parkade, the loudness took about less than half the time before resuming the quiet idle.
Interesting, and somewhat comforting to read that your recent experience has been similar.

Regardless, I'd rather err on the side of caution. I figure it can't hurt for them to check.

I assume by "loudness" you're referring to the fast idling period at start up? Does/can the duration of this vary?

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 01-05-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I was told on my last service that the coolant pump had developed a minor leak and therefor should be replaced. I received a quote for the work and parts, and it was not that expensive. Deceided to have it done when I take the car out after winter storage.
My car is out of warranty, so I thought I would have to pay. However I have a good insurance which also covers breakdown in engine and drivetrain, and it turns out that the coolant pump is included in the coverage. That was a nice surprize.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Yes that blue piece of plastic is what you said it was. Comes that way from Jaguar and then you simply release the clamp when you get it into position.
I can't see the end of that coolant hose but is there a clamp attached?

Maybe that blue part is an extra clamp?

Old 01-05-2020, 02:33 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I am sure the exhaust "white smoke" is water vapour and normal and noticeable when temperatures are below 8°C.

Definitely worth checking coolant expansion tank cap is screwed on until it clicks three times

Antifreeze spec WSS-M97B44-D is a Ford specification

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes that blue piece of plastic is what you said it was. Comes that way from Jaguar and then you simply release the clamp when you get it into position.
I can't see the end of that coolant hose but is there a clamp attached?

Maybe that blue part is an extra clamp?
It was not an extra clamp. This clamp was floating free I did discover it loose against the fire wall.

There was no clamp on the hose at the fire wall. I am wondering if they changed the hose out at some point and
put the clamp over the hose but did not release the installation tool.

I did position the hose clamp over the barb as you could feel the position of the barb Then I released the tool.
So it should be all set now. I took the car out today and drove 30 miles then checked the coolant level it was fine. I will check the level again in the morning when
it is completely cool to compare it.

SinF (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Boy I was afraid that's what happened!!
Glad the hose did not blow off before you found the missing clamp.
Pretty bad repair job.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM

No I think the clamp has not been attached ever or if and when that hose was ever replaced and they put the clamp on it never got secured.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59

Definitely worth checking coolant expansion tank cap is screwed on until it clicks three times
So I noticed that the coolant had finally crept its way back down to "min".

Upon inspection:

My cap won't click three times, though.
Once, ok, twice, with a grunt, but the third time would seemingly take Herculean effort. Maybe the cap is defective?

Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I think someone on here reported a similar fluid loss that turned out to be due to a defecive cap, can't remember who, though.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

If i remember rightly wasnt the cap a recall for being defective a numer of years ago??

Old 09-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a simple clip/spring at the coolant reservoir end so no problem there, I am talking about the two clips/connections at the other end, front/top of the engine.
One looks like it shouldn't be too hard to undo but the other (lower down) looks like a PITA to get to and difficult to release without breaking the clip, so I'm looking for detailed instructions on how to gently undo those two connections.
I changed the overflow hose on my 2014 V8 S recently as preventative maintenance. I had the intake T-connector piece out as I also changed the supercharger belt at the same time, and that made it far easier to access these two connectors at the top of the engine. The hose itself was simple to change, but a surprising amount of coolant spilled out once I unplugged the two lower connectors, so anyone planning to do this may want to prepare some rags to catch the spill.

Note that after six years and ~13k miles, the original hose wasn't brittle at all, although all the plastic clips that held it in place shattered easily. The replacement hose was part number T2R5910 and looked identical to the old one.

turka (10-19-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking For The Missing Piece To A Coolant Puzzle

I'm on the tail end of a massive coolant hose rebuild.

It all started with a loss of coolant, which lead to the dealer to replaced the water pump and all the external hoses. Then when it came time for me to deal with the supercharge isolator, I decided to take it to a local mechanic specializing euro cars. He found all the internal hoses also needed to be replaced (I too smelt the coolant leak). He replaced everything at a fair price and was very detailed in walking me through everything that was done.

Now everything seems to be holding except for this one clip at the top front of the engine. It had vibrated off once, which bled out the coolant and it left me stranded. My mechanic replaced it, but it seems like it could vibrate right off again. It seems way to easy come off for such a critical part.

I'm hoping someone could identify the part so I can confirm I have the right one and or provide feedback on how to prevent this from happening again.

This is a 2014 F-Type S (v6) with ~62,000 miles. Way past warranty, and not looking to go to the dealer if not needed, but still looking to do the job right. I've attached a photo of the clip I'm looking for.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

This isn't a specific answer to your question,

But have you considered safety-wiring that connector in place? Here's how it is done in some other cars:

Note that the safety wire goes around the main coolant pipe outside of the green circle. (Got this picture off the 'net.)

Old 12-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
This isn't a specific answer to your question,

But have you considered safety-wiring that connector in place? Here's how it is done in some other cars:

Note that the safety wire goes around the main coolant pipe outside of the green circle. (Got this picture off the 'net.)
Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely an option, but first I want to make sure I have the clip/fclamp in the 1st place.

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced