Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher G. Erckert
I'm on the tail end of a massive coolant hose rebuild.

It all started with a loss of coolant, which lead to the dealer to replaced the water pump and all the external hoses. Then when it came time for me to deal with the supercharge isolator, I decided to take it to a local mechanic specializing euro cars. He found all the internal hoses also needed to be replaced (I too smelt the coolant leak). He replaced everything at a fair price and was very detailed in walking me through everything that was done.

Now everything seems to be holding except for this one clip at the top front of the engine. It had vibrated off once, which bled out the coolant and it left me stranded. My mechanic replaced it, but it seems like it could vibrate right off again. It seems way to easy come off for such a critical part.

I'm hoping someone could identify the part so I can confirm I have the right one and or provide feedback on how to prevent this from happening again.

This is a 2014 F-Type S (v6) with ~62,000 miles. Way past warranty, and not looking to go to the dealer if not needed, but still looking to do the job right. I've attached a photo of the clip I'm looking for.

You can't get that clip by itself, it's part and parcel of the hose/pipe, part # T2R5910.
You can get that hose from Britcar for cheap, see here:
https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.ph...t=&xPerPage=10
Despite what I said earlier about the clips being hard to fit I bit the bullet and replaced that hose a few months ago and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.
Since replacing that part I have had zero coolant leaks and both the clips have held firm.

Edit - I just noticed the pic shows that the little plastic piece which locates and separates the two small hoses is not correctly placed, it should be moved up about 1" so it is holding those hoses where they have some wrapping/tape on them.
This tells me that whoever replaced this hose in the first place did not do a great job and they may not have properly pushed home the offending/leaking clip.

Edit 2 - or else a piece of the old clip broke off inside and is now blocking the new clip. Seeing as how brittle these clips were on mine and they broke when I went to remove them I reckon that is a fair chance.

Edit 3 - something is definitely wrong with that connector. Looking at mine it is pushed much further on and is only about 2 mm away from the body of the cross over pipe, and it has a pair of tangs which clip firmly behind a ring on the spout/spigot. That ring and those tangs seem to be missing in the pic, either that or the ring is hidden underneath. Whatever the cause that connector is nowhere near far enough pushed on and it is not locked on/in, no wonder it has been falling off!

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-20-2020 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More details

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You can't get that clip by itself, it's part and parcel of the hose/pipe, part # T2R5910.
You can get that hose from Britcar for cheap, see here:
https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.ph...t=&xPerPage=10
Despite what I said earlier about the clips being hard to fit I bit the bullet and replaced that hose a few months ago and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.
Since replacing that part I have had zero coolant leaks and both the clips have held firm.

Edit - I just noticed the pic shows that the little plastic piece which locates and separates the two small hoses is not correctly placed, it should be moved up about 1" so it is holding those hoses where they have some wrapping/tape on them.
This tells me that whoever replaced this hose in the first place did not do a great job and they may not have properly pushed home the offending/leaking clip.

Edit 2 - or else a piece of the old clip broke off inside and is now blocking the new clip. Seeing as how brittle these clips were on mine and they broke when I went to remove them I reckon that is a fair chance.

Edit 3 - something is definitely wrong with that connector. Looking at mine it is pushed much further on and is only about 2 mm away from the body of the cross over pipe, and it has a pair of tangs which clip firmly behind a ring on the spout/spigot. That ring and those tangs seem to be missing in the pic, either that or the ring is hidden underneath. Whatever the cause that connector is nowhere near far enough pushed on and it is not locked on/in, no wonder it has been falling off!
Much appreciated. I attached a few pics of just the clip. Same single clip from different angles.

If you can confirm this not what you see, I order the part tonight. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Much appreciated. I attached a few pics of just the clip. Same single clip from different angles.

If you can confirm this not what you see, I order the part tonight. Thanks.

That clip is not meant to be detached from the tube and it looks like yours has been broken off.
Is that from the original or the replacement?
I ask coz I could not get my old/original off without snapping that clip it was so brittle.
I suspect you need a whole new hose/tube!

Old 12-20-2020, 11:32 PM
Default brittle hose clamp

That clip is not meant to be detached from the tube and it looks like yours has been broken off.
Is that from the original or the replacement?
I ask coz I could not get my old/original off without snapping that clip it was so brittle.
I suspect you need a whole new hose/tube!
It actually was what the mechanic pulled out of his shop when helped me get back on the road. Maybe it was damaged during their work on all the other hoses/supercharger.

Either way, thanks for the feedback. I ordered the part tonight. Should have it this week. I can then see what "new" really looks like

Old 12-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Is there a definitive answer to which part should be replaced for preventive measure? If so, what would the new part be?

Old 12-23-2020, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Is there a definitive answer to which part should be replaced for preventive measure? If so, what would the new part be?
Yes, see post #101.
That's if you are talking only about the pesky radiator tank / expansion tank bleed / overflow hose.
I say pesky coz my car is not the only one around here where one or both of those two thin plastic tubes on the other end (away from the coolant expansion tank) have gone brittle then split or cracked.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:22 PM

Yes, see post #101.
That's if you are talking only about the pesky radiator tank / expansion tank bleed / overflow hose.
I say pesky coz my car is not the only one around here where one or both of those two thin plastic tubes on the other end (away from the coolant expansion tank) have gone brittle then split or cracked.
I’m actually interested in the system as a whole, specifically the plastic pipe splitting, where exactly are those seams located?

It’d be nice to know how to identify if you already have the one piece updated design, or the old Sonic welded design.

I’m getting pulley and intake done next month, makes sense to check everything instead of waiting for an imminent failure.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Someone posted recently the part numbers of suspect parts (there were a number), but apparently not in this thread. I could post a picture of my invoice (just had this done), but not ‘til next week.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Someone posted recently the part numbers of suspect parts (there were a number), but apparently not in this thread. I could post a picture of my invoice (just had this done), but not ‘til next week.
Please do share both!

Old 12-24-2020, 03:55 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Here you go ....

Connector tube AJ811997
Outlet pipe AJ813865
Outlet pipe o-ring (2) AJ811350
Engine coolant pipe AJ813917
Radiator coolant hose T2R7744
Engine coolant pipe C2Z28258
Heater outlet pipe, crossover pipe AJ814007
Thermostat kit C2Z19929
Expansion tank overflow tube ("radiator header tank bleed hose") T2R5910

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
DJS (12-24-2020), Unhingd (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Wonder if they’ve improved the water pump, no idea if it’s worth preemptively replacing that. (Mine was starting to leak, so they replaced that too.)

Old 12-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced my coolant lines with AN lines. They don't break nor leak.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

That sounds like a nice idea!
Any pictures?

Old 12-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
Would you care to share any details, costs what materials used for AN lines, photos.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Here you go ....

Connector tube AJ811997
Outlet pipe AJ813865
Outlet pipe o-ring (2) AJ811350
Engine coolant pipe AJ813917
Radiator coolant hose T2R7744
Engine coolant pipe C2Z28258
Heater outlet pipe, crossover pipe AJ814007
Thermostat kit C2Z19929
Expansion tank overflow tube ("radiator header tank bleed hose") T2R5910
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
details or it didnt happen!!

Old 12-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Wonder if they’ve improved the water pump, no idea if it’s worth preemptively replacing that. (Mine was starting to leak, so they replaced that too.)
I replaced my pump about 5 months ago. I think it’s worth it. Got ahead of a tiny leak before it was too late. I wish I had had the hoses replaced but that was before this thread alerted me to the issue. Guess that will be this springs thing to do along with diff fluid replacement.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Default Update on part

It actually was what the mechanic pulled out of his shop when helped me get back on the road. Maybe it was damaged during their work on all the other hoses/supercharger.

Either way, thanks for the feedback. I ordered the part tonight. Should have it this week. I can then see what "new" really looks like
Good news, bad news, good news.

Good news: I just received the part.

Bad news: It turns out that clip is exactly the same as the clip I already have. To be clear, while it is true you cannot buy it separately, it is not attached to the new hose.

Good news: Seeing how it came on the new hose, the clip should attach from underneath the hose. I definitely would not trust it on its own, so a strategic zip tie fits perfectly. Picture attached.

Thanks for the all the help. If anyone needs a new hose/clip. Let me know.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Good news, bad news, good news.

Good news: I just received the part.

Bad news: It turns out that clip is exactly the same as the clip I already have. To be clear, while it is true you cannot buy it separately, it is not attached to the new hose.

Good news: Seeing how it came on the new hose, the clip should attach from underneath the hose. I definitely would not trust it on its own, so a strategic zip tie fits perfectly. Picture attached.

Thanks for the all the help. If anyone needs a new hose/clip. Let me know.

I hope it works and you have no more leaks.
Going back to what I said in post #101 it still doesn't look like it is pushed on/in far enough to me, on mine that clip is muuuuch closer to the large cross over pipe (as well as being on top rather than underneath). I still suspect there is a broken off piece of plastic inside of the spigot stopping it from going on all the way.
But of course I could be talking BS (what's new you say!) and it works perfectly with zero leaks for many years.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:08 AM
Received 64 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I’m actually interested in the system as a whole, specifically the plastic pipe splitting, where exactly are those seams located?

It’d be nice to know how to identify if you already have the one piece updated design, or the old Sonic welded design.

I’m getting pulley and intake done next month, makes sense to check everything instead of waiting for an imminent failure.
I have just written a guide about these pipes with side by side photographs of the old pipes and the new pipes and some info about where they break.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-guide-241372/

might have some useful information

Old 12-29-2020, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

That zip tie looks as it it will slip off, once it goes through a few heat cycles and loosens a bit.

Perhaps a smallish hose clamp ('jubilee clip') would hold the claws on the clip more securely.

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant - Out of warranty - all lines need replaced