Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Coolant What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Coolant What to do?

Hello there fellow Jaguar Enthusiast!

Over a month ago my car had a low coolant message. I bought some coolant, and topped it off and the message went away. Shortly after I took it in to get an oil change and to check fluids. It checked out ok. Now, over the past couple days, I've had a low coolant message that's been popping up. I checked the coolant tank and it was low, so I put some coolant in and it went away.. After thanksgiving my uncle found that someone's car was leaking in my grandma's drive way. Today, when I started my car up i had the low coolant message pop up again. I pulled my car out of the garage and lo and behold, it had been leaking.

I'd been searching around and can't find anything definitive on if this is covered under warranty. Since I have warranty I was going to take it to the dealership. After reading some posts here and there, it looks like some people got charged a diagnostic fee.

In an effort to avoid a diagnostic fee I'd like to see if can answer the following questions:

1. Are coolant leaks covered under the CPO warranty? Is it one of those things that depending on where the leak it is, the warranty may or may not cover it?
2. Should I have my uncle ( who is a mechanic) take a look before taking it to the dealer, or should I take it to them first?

Any guidance here would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

It could be the hoses, which are a known problem for the older cars and as the miles climb. Could be the water pump leaking as well which is another problem around 50k miles. If your still under CPO both of those items should be covered.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
It could be the hoses, which are a known problem for the older cars and as the miles climb. Could be the water pump leaking as well which is another problem around 50k miles. If your still under CPO both of those items should be covered.
I am pretty sure hoses are not covered under CPO.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Bite the bullet and get it properly diagnosed and repaired pronto, even if it means paying a rip off "diagnostic fee" at the dealership.
Otherwise you risk a slow leak turning into a gusher and shortly afterwards a destroyed engine = $squillions to replace.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

As discussed potential sources of leaks are coolant pipes, particularly small diameter plastic pipes that run over the top of the engine, earlier ones reportedly become brittle with heat, later ones have shielding that may reduce harm from heat cycling and make them more durable.

Water pump bearing seals can be prone to leaking, although there have been newer modified water pumps that may be less prone to leaks and probably the simplest to repair potential source of leaks seems to be the screw cap on the coolant expansion tank, this should be tightened until it clicks three times.

I believe another diagnosis procedure is to pressure test or vacuum test how coolant system as this may help highlight the sources of the leak (s)

Attached Files
Old 11-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
As discussed potential sources of leaks are coolant pipes, particularly small diameter plastic pipes that run over the top of the engine, earlier ones reportedly become brittle with heat, later ones have shielding that may reduce harm from heat cycling and make them more durable.

Water pump bearing seals can be prone to leaking, although there have been newer modified water pumps that may be less prone to leaks and probably the simplest to repair potential source of leaks seems to be the screw cap on the coolant expansion tank, this should be tightened until it clicks three times.

I believe another diagnosis procedure is to pressure test or vacuum test how coolant system as this may help highlight the sources of the leak (s)
Do you know when they started to use the shielded hoses?

Old 11-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Take coolant leaks very seriously, as you are playing with fire by not fixing it right away. If your car dumps all the coolant you will have a dead engine within couple minutes of running.

There are a number of plastic coolant pipes that tend to split on pre-2017 cars. There are updated parts, but no recall. I think coolant leaks, as they are power train issue, should be covered by CPO warranty. While this is being fixed, pay out of pocket to replace all parts and not only one that broke so you don't have to deal with this again.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:14 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Do you know when they started to use the shielded hoses?
sorry don't know, I remember reading on this forum somewhere.

Also the V6 and V8 engines in our F types have been around since 2010 in other Jaguar models such as XFR so some earlier issues are common and some may have been resolved

This thread on coolant loss may have useful information
F Type coolant lines leaking

Attached Files

Last edited by Paul_59; 11-28-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
sorry don't know, I remember reading on this forum somewhere.

Also the V6 and V8 engines in our F types have been around since 2010 in other Jaguar models such as XFR so some earlier issues are common and some may have been resolved

This thread on coolant loss may have useful information
F Type coolant lines leaking
Wow thanks for the link! You guys have been super helpful! I spoke to my uncle and he's going to look at it this weekend.. My uncle echoed that being that since I have a slow leak, and where my car was leaking at,. that it's probably one of the hoses or pipes that's leaking slowly. Which most companies wouldn't cover under warranty. Here's hoping the part that's leaking isn't too expensive.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Use a cooling system pressure tester to determine the source and extent of the leak.

Two main sources are the outlet pipe in front below the supercharger and the heater pipe at the back of the engine. The original parts had a joint seam that can split causing sudden coolant loss. Later pipes are extruded as one piece with less likelihood of a sudden failure.

As with all plastic cooling system parts, they can only withstand a finite number of cold to hot to cold cycles prior to failing.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:38 PM

Update -

We got under the hood and discovered that the leak is from the coolant reservoir (PN - C2P25607) itself. What are some good places to buy that part from? The dealer here is about $40 bucks more than some of the other dealerships.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Gemax
Update -

We got under the hood and discovered that the leak is from the coolant reservoir (PN - C2P25607) itself. What are some good places to buy that part from? The dealer here is about $40 bucks more than some of the other dealerships.

Thanks!
Check to make sure it's not from the reservoir tube--very common for these to fail:

Part # T2R5910 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.ph...t=&xPerPage=10