Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Lean Exhaust

Hi all,
Hoping I can bend your ears for some advice. The check engine light came on and I took it to a local mechanic to diagnose the issue. Keep in mind I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and the nearest dealership is a 4 hour drive away. The local mechanic told me it was diagnosed as 'Lean exhaust condition on bank 2', and cleared the code thinking that the insanely loud stock exhaust was aftermarket. The car is still under warranty. My question is, should I have it towed to the nearest dealership 4 hours away? Is the fact that he cleared the code going to have any repercussions as it pertains to warranty, etc?

Thanks for your time and input!

Old 08-17-2021, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by richled
Hi all,
Hoping I can bend your ears for some advice. The check engine light came on and I took it to a local mechanic to diagnose the issue. Keep in mind I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and the nearest dealership is a 4 hour drive away. The local mechanic told me it was diagnosed as 'Lean exhaust condition on bank 2', and cleared the code thinking that the insanely loud stock exhaust was aftermarket. The car is still under warranty. My question is, should I have it towed to the nearest dealership 4 hours away? Is the fact that he cleared the code going to have any repercussions as it pertains to warranty, etc?

Thanks for your time and input!
Could be an O2 sensor, Injector, MAF sensor. Etc.. If it is under warranty, I would absolutely have it towed (Flat Bed) to the dealer. Clearing that code will not throw them off. I assume he used a generic OBDII Scan tool (So make sure your battery does not start draining now). The SDD or Pathfinder software the dealer will use, will have a history of all of the events...So you should be fine.

Good luck...

DC

The following users liked this post:
richled (08-19-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:47 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

This might be helpful if you can get the actual code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ek33ux7tf...guide.pdf?dl=0

richled (08-19-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Clearing that code will not throw them off. I assume he used a generic OBDII Scan tool (So make sure your battery does not start draining now). The SDD or Pathfinder software the dealer will use, will have a history of all of the events...So you should be fine.

Is that true?

A service advisor told me that they couldn't perform warranty work without a code actually present.
I had cleared it with a cheap scanner (wasn't thinking ).
I was simply asked to come back if/when the CEL returned.

Also: +1 on the battery.
As many have recommended before: disconnect & reconnect the battery to be sure.

richled (08-19-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Is that true?

A service advisor told me that they couldn't perform warranty work without a code actually present.

I had cleared it with a cheap scanner (wasn't thinking ).
I was simply asked to come back if/when the CEL returned.

Also: +1 on the battery.
As many have recommended before: disconnect & reconnect the battery to be sure.
Yes...Not sure what their protocol is for doing or not doing the work. But I actually have the JLR Dx software, and I can clear codes, and it still shows in the DTC history...all of it. You can do a complete wipe with the JLR tools, but not with generic scanners.

To make it more "difficult" for customers, some will say, even though the code is stored, they have to actually see/hear the issue...So there's that. Cannot speak to the JLR repair protocol only that I have seen the historical codes in the listing even after they have been cleared. It is very detailed too...It tells you the time of day, temp, what happened, how many times etc...

DC

Example below...You can click the icons to the right and it drills down to all sorts of data, symptoms, suggested fixes, etc...

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
Luc Lapierre (09-03-2021), richled (08-19-2021)