F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Least Expensive (But I Think Cool) F-Type Accessory?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought them when I got my car and my car never leaves the garage. two got stolen at the dealer when I was there looking at another car! I hope Karma does exist!!!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

That's just wrong! And, in my opinion, karma definitely exists.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Well I suppose it was bound to happen - as others have suggested it might - but someone must have admired my Union Jack caps and taken one of them (as I find it next to impossible that one should simply fall off all by itself). This happened about a month ago and I ordered 4 new ones from Columbia Jaguar to have as replacements.

Question is: why take [only] one?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jns2001
You'll get them stolen in no time by a Mini owner.
I resemble that remark!

Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Well I suppose it was bound to happen - as others have suggested it might - but someone must have admired my Union Jack caps and taken one of them (as I find it next to impossible that one should simply fall off all by itself). This happened about a month ago and I ordered 4 new ones from Columbia Jaguar to have as replacements.

Question is: why take [only] one?
Most such thefts are for souvenir collections. I've even had a side scuttle (power vent) taken from my MINI.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

There is a wide array of this kind of stuff available on ebay. I have Landrover logo ones on my D3/LR3.

I also have this on it

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Being from Dublin, Ireland the Union Jack is a definite 'no thanks pal'.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alexg

No offense, of course, merely trying to add a small detail from the country of origin...

So are you telling me you stole it? (Only then to toss it in the trash). And here I was going to blame lhoboy...which I wouldn't mind so much but without coming in for coffee?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Changed to red including grille,a little upgrade.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg

Don't understand. Isn't Ireland a former part of the United Kingdom. You even speak English over there right? And you got independence without a war. Surely Irish should be just as disposed to displaying the Union Jack as the Americans over here (who seem to love the idea).

Old 02-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Don't understand. Isn't Ireland a former part of the United Kingdom. You even speak English over there right? And you got independence without a war. Surely Irish should be just as disposed to displaying the Union Jack as the Americans over here (who seem to love the idea).
Here in the U.S. we've been free of British rule and interference for close to a quarter millennium. The families of most Americans didn't come to this country until after British rule.
Residents of Dublin have suffered from interference by the Brits and from terrorist activities by British loyalists as recently as the latter part of the twentieth century.

If willing, alexg can probably provide a very personal perspective on specific historical events that fashion his opinion of the British Empire.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm tempted, but the last time I put metal valve covers on they corroded onto the valve stem. I got the bright idea to take one off with a pair of pliers--got the privilege of standing there watching my tire deflate in about 30 seconds after I snapped the tip off.

Live and learn.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I'm tempted, but the last time I put metal valve covers on they corroded onto the valve stem. I got the bright idea to take one off with a pair of pliers--got the privilege of standing there watching my tire deflate in about 30 seconds after I snapped the tip off.

Live and learn.
I've actually had the same thing happen on all 4, but I was more fortunate than you. I managed to get them off with the assistance of a little WD40 and pliers without breaking the valve stem.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Here in the U.S. we've been free of British rule and interference for close to a quarter millennium. The families of most Americans didn't come to this country until after British rule. Residents of Dublin have suffered from interference by the Brits and from terrorist activities by British loyalists as recently as the latter part of the twentieth century. If willing, alexg can probably provide a very personal perspective on specific historical events that fashion his opinion of the British Empire.
Well it doesn't stop any of you from buying British cars does it? History is history. I don't go around complaining about the Germans and neither should he be complaining about the British.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Jeez, all I heard Alex say was that he didn't feel like flying the Union Jack on his. All I heard was a "no thanks," not a complaint. I don't care to either, but it's certainly no complaint against things British. Why go into attack mode for a fairly innocent remark?

But, on a lighter, semi-related note, Maryland's standard issue license plate now commemorates the War of 1812, and Baltimore's Ft. McHenry as the place where Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star Spangled Banner." i actually had my F-Type salesperson say, "you really don't want to put those plates on this car."

Really?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Live and learn.
A little anti-seize grease on the threads works wonders for that kind of thing.

Dissimilar metals can corrode badly. Before I figured that out, my Landcruiser aluminum rear wheels would weld (corrode) themselves on to the point where it took an 8' fence post, a sledge hammer and Arnold Schwartzenegger to get them off - a thin layer of anti-sieze on the wheel face helped a lot.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Live and learn.
On the topic of dust caps, when I picked my Jag up, it was missing one dust cap (and the rest were grey, which looked really pox against the black wheels). I said to the dealer that I wanted to get metal dust caps (we're supposed to have them for tracking). Dealer was very happy to assist, and sent me down to service. However, the guy in service was adamant he would not put metal caps on stems with the tyre pressure monitoring system in them as he believed the metal could interfere with the sensor in the stem. He suggested just buying a spare metal set to put on for the few hours on track. (Oh, and he replaced the 3 grey ones with 4 black plastic caps - looks much better)

Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The valve stems on my tires are twice as long as normal valve stems. When I picked up the car the dealer had filled the tires with nitrogen and placed valve stem covers (with a "N" on them for nitrogen) on the valve stems. The N valve stem caps provided cover the entire valve stem but other caps, like the Union Jack valve stem covers I purchased, only cover half the valve stem. Does this make any difference?

Actually, the Nitrogen in my tires is of no use to me as I live an hour from the dealer and top off the air in my tires from home (non-nitrogen). Does anyone know the reason for these longer valve stems? I am assuming they did not come from the factory as pictures posted on this forum of valve stems on other member's tires do not appear to be as long as mine. Would the delaler have installed them and why? Can any tire shop replace them with shorter ones?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
The valve stems on my tires are twice as long as normal valve stems. When I picked up the car the dealer had filled the tires with nitrogen and placed valve stem covers (with a "N" on them for nitrogen) on the valve stems. The N valve stem caps provided cover the entire valve stem but other caps, like the Union Jack valve stem covers I purchased, only cover half the valve stem. Does this make any difference?

Actually, the Nitrogen in my tires is of no use to me as I live an hour from the dealer and top off the air in my tires from home (non-nitrogen). Does anyone know the reason for these longer valve stems? I am assuming they did not come from the factory as pictures posted on this forum of valve stems on other member's tires do not appear to be as long as mine. Would the delaler have installed them and why? Can any tire shop replace them with shorter ones?
Are your valve stems all metal (as opposed to. Ones with a rubber segment), and do the have a locking nut right at the base where the exit out of the wheel? If so, they are the ones used for tire pressure monitoring.

Also, nitrogen is largely pointless for most use. The theory is that the gas is inert, so is less prone to expansion as the tires heat up, so theoretically you get more consistent pressure. But you really only get serious heat in the tires when raving - most forms of street use don't generate big heat levels.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Saleen and Porsche valve caps from two of my previous cars. They would make discussion points.

Quick Reply: Least Expensive (But I Think Cool) F-Type Accessory?