F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Roof/Headliner on Driver Side Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Leather Roof/Headliner on Driver Side Dropping

Any one had issue regarding the leather roof / headliner coming off. Since this warm weather came in I noticed it is dropped by the driver side. Contacted dealer and new headliner is on order. Glad its covered! Just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue occur to them.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Selko92
Any one had issue regarding the leather roof / headliner coming off. Since this warm weather came in I noticed it is dropped by the driver side. Contacted dealer and new headliner is on order. Glad its covered! Just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue occur to them.
Luckily no problem yet, and I live in a hotter climate than you. Looks like one more potential issue for me to worry about. How large of an area has turned loose?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RIRR
Luckily no problem yet, and I live in a hotter climate than you. Looks like one more potential problem for me to worry about. How large of an area has turned loose?
From the drivers side on left all the way to the back for now I put double sided tape which seems to hold for now until headliner arrives at dealer.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

From the drivers side on left all the way to the back for now I put double sided tape which seems to hold for now until headliner arrives at dealer.
Well, at least it is just a no-cost nuisance to you.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Jaguar out sources trim work and I wish you luck. After three attempts I got rid of my 2015 F Type R with leather headliner. Yes they cut them short on the width and it comes undone from the weather strip. Back in 2015 we looked at all the cars on the lot with leather headliners and they were all short. The first replacement took 6 months and I asked if they had to grow a special white cow. Since they out source this work, the out sourced morons installed a new headliner with multiple imperfections. The second headliner took 4 weeks and had less imperfections but was also short. You can see the link below with photo.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-issue-135263/

Old 07-29-2018, 05:52 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Headliners

Seeing this has me almost laughing out loud...sorry, not meant to laugh at your misfortune. I live in a hot, humid climate and to say this is a very Jaguar issue would be an understatement of epic proportions. Lemme see...

2005 Jaguar XJ - drooping, separating headliner. Required new headliner at 40k miles.
2009 Jaguar XK - Required new headliner, drooping over driver side at 30k miles.
2011 Jaguar XKR - yep, drooping headliner, required replacement at 35k miles.

...so I figure my 2017 F-type should be due in about a year or so! In every case above, it was the foam that gave up. The glue was still stuck to headliner board, but foam backing of the headliner material disintegrates from heat and humidity. I have become an expert at extracting headliner boards and removing the old foam so they can be recovered.

I bet they figure this out someday, but, I am somewhat dubious...well, it is better than burning oil or blowing transmissions...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Seeing this has me almost laughing out loud...sorry, not meant to laugh at your misfortune. I live in a hot, humid climate and to say this is a very Jaguar issue would be an understatement of epic proportions. Lemme see...

2005 Jaguar XJ - drooping, separating headliner. Required new headliner at 40k miles.
2009 Jaguar XK - Required new headliner, drooping over driver side at 30k miles.
2011 Jaguar XKR - yep, drooping headliner, required replacement at 35k miles.

...so I figure my 2017 F-type should be due in about a year or so! In every case above, it was the foam that gave up. The glue was still stuck to headliner board, but foam backing of the headliner material disintegrates from heat and humidity. I have become an expert at extracting headliner boards and removing the old foam so they can be recovered.

I bet they figure this out someday, but, I am somewhat dubious...well, it is better than burning oil or blowing transmissions...
Murrells Inlet here, and yes the heat and humidity do take a toll on headliners, don't they. My 2004 XJ8 dropped its headliner on my head one day as I drove merrily along on Hwy. 17 Bypass. Our local dealer there in North Ashley quoted me $3500 to replace, which almost made me choke on my morning java; but an independently owned upholstery shop in MB did the job for $250. The fabric wasn't a perfect match, but I don't drive looking at the underside of the roof very often, so that was okay--and the same headliner is still in the car some 6 or 8 years later though resides now in Richmond with my DIL.
Remember the old days with steel ribbed headliners covered in some kind of felt cloth or vinyl? Seems they lasted longer than the cars themselves in a lot of cases. Visit a junkyard and look at a thirty year old wreck--headliner still perfect except for some water spots and dirt! Progress.?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have the leather headliner, but I think if this happens to me outside warranty I'd have it recovered at a good indy upholstery shop. I'd probably upgrade mine from the base cloth to alcantara.

OP I hope your warranty replacement part is well made Jag needs to hire me and put me on the assembly line as a consultant to tie up all the little loose ends like this. I feel like the car is designed in the office and nobody ever came downstairs to see how the finish products turned out.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Just to be clear the leather didn't come separated from the backing. The leather was bonded to a backing material securely. The headliner is slightly suspended and has movement if you push. Cars with standard roofs and leather headliners have this. In my case the minuscule overlap at the weather strip joint causes the separation as shown in the link with photo I provided above.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm not experiencing the problem noted, but am experiencing something related. The sliding shade drags a bit on the right side after sitting in the heat for a while. I think it was a bout 90F here when I measured 192F on the inside at the leading edge of the roof glass.

Looking at the shade when it drags it appears that the cloth of the shade is bunching up, and not fully attached to the shade mechanism. I'll investigate a bit more when I get a chance. I've got "suedecloth" inside, if that matters. Anyone else seeing this?

Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Headliner

For what it's worth..when I did my XKR in 2014, I did everything but actually apply (glue) headliner material to backer board. I pulled headliner board out, and stripped old glue and material. This is key, as you need a good surface for glue to do its job. I got the material, some very nice ultra suede material, and let a pro upholstery do the cut and gluing. What I did notice was the Jaguar used some really low cost cardboard like material as insulation between metal underside and headliner backer board. Probably not the best material in humid climates. and certainly not very good heat and NVH material.

So when I replaced it, I removed the cardboard and lined the underside of roof with thin version of Dynamat. Then I applied three strips of 3M double sided VHB tape lengthwise (left, center, right from front to back), and then installed newly covered headliner board.

Pretty remarkable difference. The interior was definitely much quieter, and cooler I think. Most noticeably, the movement RawwR noted was completely gone, and the headliner was solidly attached to roof, eliminating that annoying gap that you normally feel when pushing on headliner.

A wee bit of work it was, but worth it.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
Just to be clear the leather didn't come separated from the backing. The leather was bonded to a backing material securely. The headliner is slightly suspended and has movement if you push. Cars with standard roofs and leather headliners have this. In my case the minuscule overlap at the weather strip joint causes the separation as shown in the link with photo I provided above.
Add me to the list - My 2015 F-type coupe leather headliner is suddenly coming down everywhere. This is exactly how mine is separating: my leather is still connected firmly to the backing material where it's detached. And, I'm just a few months outside of warranty. I contacted Jaguar to see if they'd help, but let's see (not holding my breath).

Old 04-04-2019, 11:50 AM

Couldn't figure out how to delete my double post...

Last edited by ebbnflow; 04-04-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: double post by mistake
Old 04-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RawwR
The headliner is slightly suspended and has movement if you push. Cars with standard roofs and leather headliners have this..
This is my first leather roof. Are saying that some level of separation is to be expected as normal? It's as long as the edges stay attached that it's ok? The reason I ask is I have a lot of areas that are soft to the touch, but only the drivers side has fully fallen down. I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about the other sections of the roof as I look to repair it?

Much appreciated!

Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 PM
rrd
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbnflow
Add me to the list - My 2015 F-type coupe leather headliner is suddenly coming down everywhere. This is exactly how mine is separating: my leather is still connected firmly to the backing material where it's detached. And, I'm just a few months outside of warranty. I contacted Jaguar to see if they'd help, but let's see (not holding my breath).
Did Jaguar end up helping you out? I have a '15 R that's just outside of warranty. Though I don't have the leather headliner, the cloth upholstery from the sunroof visor is sagging and the quote I got from an independent shop was a lot higher than I expected...

Old 07-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by rrd
Did Jaguar end up helping you out? I have a '15 R that's just outside of warranty. Though I don't have the leather headliner, the cloth upholstery from the sunroof visor is sagging and the quote I got from an independent shop was a lot higher than I expected...
How high? The headliner in my XJ8 fell of a sudden and the local Jag dealer quoted $3,200 to replace--yes three thousand, two hundred dollars. A local upholstery shop did it for $250., but that was going on ten years ago. FWIW I replaced the one in my '85 XJ6 myself by removing the headliner shell and doing the job in my basement; rather a pain but saved a bundle.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

My leather headliner was replaced under warranty as it started sagging as well. The new headliner alone was $2,200 so with labor, I can imagine this being a $3,000 job.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I know there was another post on this, but I can't find it. My leather headliner was replaced this spring, It was under warranty, $4000. The leather separated from the substrate.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rrd
Yes, they helped by covering 80%, which I was appreciative of. Still cost me $800 for a complete replacement, for an obvious materials issue. Now I've just noticed my leather dash is starting to come apart - here I go again.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM
rrd
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
How high? The headliner in my XJ8 fell of a sudden and the local Jag dealer quoted $3,200 to replace--yes three thousand, two hundred dollars. A local upholstery shop did it for $250., but that was going on ten years ago. FWIW I replaced the one in my '85 XJ6 myself by removing the headliner shell and doing the job in my basement; rather a pain but saved a bundle.
My quote came out to a little over 3k. Seems in line with others...

Quick Reply: Leather Roof/Headliner on Driver Side Dropping