F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Roof/Headliner on Driver Side Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Since over on the X150 forum, the dropping of the headliner is a regular occurrence, I thought I add a bit of information. First off, my headliner dropped, first right over my head and then all over the place about a month ago. For my purposes, I picked up a syringe from the paint department of a hardware store and a good fabric adhesive and poked through the headliner to the roof with a dab of glue applied about 6-8" apart , then pressing the headliner to the roof for about 30 seconds, and it's at least not drooping heavily any longer. And for any of you that are going to do a whole headliner replacement, from my 40 years of being in the textile industry, I have access to a synthetic suede material that looks and feels as good as the Alcantara o.e.m. product that came on many of Jaguar models that is 60" wide and costs under $5.00/running yard. It is available in approximately 100 colors, and I've gotten it for many X150 owners. Plus, I recommend gluing it directly to the roof without foam backing as the foam backing is what disintegrates, turning to powder, which is what causes the headliner to drop. The Passion Suede, as it is called, has more thickness/sponginess to it than the Alcantara headliner material, so the foam isn't really needed. No foam, no future problems. If I can help anyone by providing the suede, just p.m. me, and I'll make arrangements. I pay between $4.50 and $5.00/yd depending on the wholesale source from which I buy it. I have used tens of thousands of yards of this fabric over the past 20 years or so, for custom upholstery for clients, couches, chairs, headboards, etc., and it's an incredible product that I actually prefer to Ultrasuede at 1/15th the price.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2015 sagged yesterday. Car is mostly stored indoors where I keep my collection. Bought it home to drive in 88 degree heat and gave it a good cleaning. A couple of hours in the sun and drivers side is on my head, Taking it to an independent shop today as car is 3 months out of warranty. Leather is going away and we will go with something light and much cheaper. This is very disappointing. jaguar should be ashamed of the this type of work....and quality. Jag should be paying for these repairs. I plan to call US HQ on Tuesday and register my complaint.

Bob

Old 09-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an outstanding independent that has worked on my cars for years for tops and upholstery issues. Lim's in Northern Virginia. Outstanding work and quality at a very fair price for this high cost region of the US. I decided to use alcantara to replace the sagging leather and it was the right thing to do. We also used a color that matched the tan leather in the seat centers on our car. The light color headliner really lightened up the interior and looks fabulous! John Yoon the owner of Lim's explained to me that the leathers shrinking is what causes the leather to break loose from the backing and that combined with heat from occasionally being outdoors in the sun (our car is BRG) over time causes the leather to shrink and it breaks away from the backing material....really nothing you can do to prevent it...as leather is heavy and when it goes it just goes....i had no warning at all. I fully expect the same thing to happen to my XKR-S in the next few years and when it does we will probably do the same as the cost is one heck of a lot cheaper that replacing the leather.

I left the visors black and the pillars...so the two tone effect of the interior is continued throughout....would suggest you consider looking at alcantara whenever your turn for this to happen comes up....

Bob

Last edited by Bobert; 09-11-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Bobert:
DJS (09-11-2019), JgaXkr (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert
I have an outstanding independent that has worked on my cars for years for tops and upholstery issues. Lim's in Northern Virginia. Outstanding work and quality at a very fair price for this high cost region of the US. I decided to use alcantara to replace the sagging leather and it was the right thing to do. We also used a color that matched the tan leather in the seat centers on our car. The light color headliner really lightened up the interior and looks fabulous! John Yoon the owner of Lim's explained to me that the leathers shrinking is what causes the leather to break loose from the backing and that combined with heat from occasionally being outdoors in the sun (our car is BRG) over time causes the leather to shrink and it breaks away from the backing material....really nothing you can do to prevent it...as leather is heavy and when it goes it just goes....i had no warning at all. I fully expect the same thing to happen to my XKR-S in the next few years and when it does we will probably do the same as the cost is one heck of a lot cheaper that replacing the leather.

I left the visors black and the pillars...so the two tone effect of the interior is continued throughout....would suggest you consider looking at alcantara whenever your turn for this to happen comes up....

Bob
Good to know there is a quality shop not too far North of me, thanks.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert

Bob
I can confirm Bobert's new alcantara headliner looks gorgeous -

The following 3 users liked this post by rcollum:
peppersam740 (09-28-2019), SS4PK (09-28-2019), Unhingd (09-28-2019)