F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon 2016 F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Just remembered something about my experience:
Even though I was happy with the final result, I was constantly annoyed at the lack of communication. Even with my replacement case progressing, I would have to wait weeks for a response to a call or email.

A second comment:
I'm pretty happy with the replacement car. It had a few squeaks and a resu rattle that had to be sorted out under warranty, but had otherwise been great. It's such a fun car. I finally drive a 911 the other day... So boring! I mean, for this price, what else would you get? ( who said amg gts? )

Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the dealer....just wish the communication from Jaguar would happen. Nobody ever calls me from CRC. I call them, and when I do, they know nothing and say they will call back in 3 business days. But never do.

I drove a Porsche 911 GT Turbo. Very fast, but rough riding and everything inside was hard. Also, I felt like I was in a VW beetle as the side windows are very high for a sports car. And, I can't tell one year from another. The F-type is what I wanted, and this is my 2nd one.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bill0754
I agree about the dealer....just wish the communication from Jaguar would happen. Nobody ever calls me from CRC. I call them, and when I do, they know nothing and say they will call back in 3 business days. But never do.

I drove a Porsche 911 GT Turbo. Very fast, but rough riding and everything inside was hard. Also, I felt like I was in a VW beetle as the side windows are very high for a sports car. And, I can't tell one year from another. The F-type is what I wanted, and this is my 2nd one.

was your first F-type ok? This is certainly discouraging... seems like these cars are like humans. Some come out perfect...but when that miracle doesn't happen out the gate the problems keep racking up!!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
was your first F-type ok? This is certainly discouraging... seems like these cars are like humans. Some come out perfect...but when that miracle doesn't happen out the gate the problems keep racking up!!
Keep in mind, you only hear about the bad cases, and rarely the good ones. So that 1 in a 100 car seems a lot more like a 1 in 10 car.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Lothar52 is correct. Lemons are pretty rare, but they do happen. My first F-type had no issues at all. So don't get turned off by an occasional problem car. However, the customer service is certainly something to be aware of.

Attached Thumbnails Lemon 2016 F-type R-dsc_0042-2-.jpg  

Last edited by bill0754; 09-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Keep in mind, you only hear about the bad cases, and rarely the good ones. So that 1 in a 100 car seems a lot more like a 1 in 10 car.
Very, true.

Other than audio system issues and clutch/flywheel problems w/ early manual transmission cars, the F-Type has been pretty bullet-proof. Obviously, it's just my impression, but having been on many car forums over the years, the F seems to have been better than average. Mine was also completely flawless.

On the other hand, my impression of customer service support from JLR is that it's much below the industry average. In fairness, we've seen some great examples of JLR dealers, who have provided exceptional service, but that was all their efforts, not JLR's.

In a case like the OPs, it's nothing short of appalling.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

My F-Type has had a couple of issues (one major: 2 bad clutches) but far less than the initial experience on my MINI. I was blessed with outstanding service from both jag CS and my local Jag dealer. However, based on the experiences reported on this forum, the average Jag service experience is sub-par.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

My first F Type R was at the dealership no less than a dozen times the first 18 months of ownership. The last straw was when I was told "that's as good as it's going to get". I thought I would give Jaguar another chance and I'm sorry I did. Between the stereo rattles on both cars and attempt to charge me diagnostic time for using the OBD port have put me complete off. After this lease is up I will never own another Jaguar. People at work know I drive a fast car and when asked for advice, I steer them all away from Jaguar.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I never say never anymore because I've proven myself wrong on more than one occasion.

JLR could make a concerted effort to turn their poor customer support reputation around, and I hope they do.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

sh*t happens...new cars...used cars.......luck of the draw basically.

when I got my brand new BMW 3 years ago....it died within 1 hour of ownership. the transmission crapped out...it only had 30 miles on the odometer.

never the less....a very important thing you must keep in mind, is to be kind and calm when dealing with the dealership and customer support no matter how slow and painful the process is. its a simple and easy thing to do, but a lot of people lose their cool very quickly and it just leads to negative results. im not saying it will get your car back faster, but it may work out for you in the end.

when the BMW broke, most people would have called the dealer screaming and cursing HOW THE HELL DID MY BRAND NEW CAR BREAK WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR!!!!! in fact people, complete strangers, who saw me sitting besides my broken down car started speaking to me and screaming on my behalf!

i played it cool and respectful with the dealership...its not their fault the car broke, but its going to be them that takes care of me and it....and at the end of the day i got a sweet convertible loaner, $1000 cash and a bunch of BMW apparel.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:42 PM

I have been very nice to the dealer and to JLR so far. But it is starting to get on my nerves that I am making payments on a car that I have had in my garage only 13 days since I purchased it on July 11th. Hopefully, JLR will reach a fair solution this week as I am about to mail another payment for my invisible car.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

i wonder if one could pay into escrow in a situation like this...similar to how you might do on a property rental if the landlord was on notice to remedy something that had yet to be remedied.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
i wonder if one could pay into escrow in a situation like this...similar to how you might do on a property rental if the landlord was on notice to remedy something that had yet to be remedied.
That only works if the dealer holds the note or lease. Chances are, a financial institution does, and they have nothing to do with the quality of the car.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:50 AM

True. The best thing I can hope for is if JLR replaces the car that the bank will do a collateral exchange. Better than having to refinance.

Well today I am supposed to hear from CRC. I wonder if they will actually call with any updates, or just say another 3 business days.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

I have been very nice to the dealer and to JLR so far. But it is starting to get on my nerves that I am making payments on a car that I have had in my garage only 13 days since I purchased it on July 11th. Hopefully, JLR will reach a fair solution this week as I am about to mail another payment for my invisible car.
my favorite thing to do is to put the customer service rep into your shoes (in a nice way ofcourse). If things arent going your way, i hit them with the "sir, please, how would you feel if you were in my position" line....it helps in a non *******-ish way (not that i am saying you are).

Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 AM

I have been patient and polite thru this whole thing. But my patience are starting to wear thin

Old 09-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been patient and polite thru this whole thing. But my patience are starting to wear thin
Can you say a little bit more about the issue with your B-pillar? Do you have any video recording of it?

I've been having my own issues with the B-pillar creaking/ticking, and suspect it might be the same as yours. I've also gone through the dealership a handful of times already, they're probably had the car for at least 4 weeks now in the 6 months of ownership. I'm going in again next week to try to address a handful of creaks/ticks/issues.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 AM

It starts either on the drivers side or the passenger side. Usually pretty quickly if the car is cold. If it is out in the sun, then it can be quiet for about 1/2 hour before starting. Then it is a constant ticking sound right at my ear. Sometimes it is just one side, but other times it is both sides. It is very hard to ignore, even with the stereo on.

My dealer had the Jaguar Tech come in, and he determined it was the adhesive between the aluminum panels. After they removed most of my interior trim, they could actually press against many different panels and cause the clicking sound.

Hope that helps.

I am supposed to hear from CRC today in regards to them either buying the car back or replacement. I will be happy with whatever solution is reached.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, I have had my 2016 F-type R since July 11th. But it has returned to the dealership 5 times, and a total of 37 days for an unfixable issue. Jaguar sent their field tech out on the 24th of August. On the 29th of August, he proclaimed that the issue was the adhesive popping between the body panels, and it would need extensive repairs and that he was done. Since then, nothing. The dealer claims Jag will buy the car back. Jaguar CRC has no updates to this day with a resolution. As of Tuesday next week, the car has been sitting, disassembled in the service department for 3 weeks. I have attached some photos of the condition of my brand new car.

I still have payments to make, yet no one seems to care. The service from Jaguar Orlando, and CRC is painful, to say the least. Anyway to speed up the CRC to replace or buy back this lemon?

Good afternoon Bill0754,

I am sorry to learn of your concerns and the pictures you have provided.

I would be more than happy to look into this for you, however in order for me to do so, can you please kindly provide your vehicle and contact details by PM.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Old 09-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

For what its worth I have an 03 STR Jaguar bought it new and it has been fantastic. Not one problem since new. Had a couple of recalls early on for minor issues. Other than that no problems what so ever. So there are good Jaguars out there. I would not be afraid to buy another. Ive known people that have had high end Mercedes replaced under Lemon law, so it can happen to any manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Lemon 2016 F-type R