F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting the cat stretch its legs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Letting the cat stretch its legs

My Jag is also my day-to-day driver, but of course I don't like the short-term stop-and-go conditions any more than anybody else. What I usually do in such cases is to make maybe a five-mile or so "detour" down a nearby expressway or at least a stretch of open highway, during which time I like to "open it up"a little and let the cat stretch its legs. Typically I will let it wind up to about 100 mph, just long enough to make sure I saw three digits on the readout, then ease it back down gently.

But my big question is this: from the car's point of view (i.e. keeping its moving parts lubricated and happy and such), what would be an optimum time and extent to open it up? Maybe a little bit more than I do now? ...Not that I would need much coaxing, LOL...

Old 06-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

not sure what you mean...if you are is in good running conditions (proper oil levels, coolant levels, etc.), only thing is to make sure your car is properly warmed up before WOT.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to start out by saying, I love this forum as much as I do my new Jag. I recently inherited my Dads baby. I have never been a real car buff, I have had the BWM's, Mercedes and a Caddy. As a Realtor here in MA, I do a LOT of driving and typically switch of between My Escalade in the Winter and my Mercedes Conv in the Summer. Well, Dad recently passed and left me his baby of whom I have named Quimby, a nice British name. I had to name it as a male as he has way to much class and performance to be a girl.. LOL Anyway, he's a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 in Zircon Blue and Dove Gary leather with 32,000 miles.

I've put on about 2K miles in the last month and this baby gets SO many compliments by strangers and clients. Far more then the Escalade and the Mercedes. They are so common here and Jags are less seen.

Anyway, thanks for this site and all the info that everyone shares.

Attached Thumbnails Letting the cat stretch its legs-img_0035.jpg   Letting the cat stretch its legs-img_0140.jpg   Letting the cat stretch its legs-img_0037.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by lordpeterk
But my big question is this: from the car's point of view (i.e. keeping its moving parts lubricated and happy and such), what would be an optimum time and extent to open it up? Maybe a little bit more than I do now? ...Not that I would need much coaxing, LOL...
There is no such thing. As long as you don't overheat the motor/trans/diff(s) and don't run it dry of fluids, the car will be fine. It won't make any difference if you baby it or if you romp on it.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
There is no such thing. As long as you don't overheat the motor/trans/diff(s) and don't run it dry of fluids, the car will be fine. It won't make any difference if you baby it or if you romp on it.
Drive it like you stohle it... (It's not a new Corvette, it shouldn't overheat!)

Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
+1. It makes no difference how you drive it.

You may be thinking of days gone by where cars fueled by carburetors controlled by mechanical distributors had a tendency to deposit carbon on the spark plugs. My dad and grandfather always referred to the need to "open her up to burn the carbon off."

Spark plugs used to need changing every 6-10K miles. These days with fuel injection and precise fueling controlled by computers, you don't even worry about them until past 100K.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1. It makes no difference how you drive it.

You may be thinking of days gone by where cars fueled by carburetors controlled by mechanical distributors had a tendency to deposit carbon on the spark plugs. My dad and grandfather always referred to the need to "open her up to burn the carbon off."

Spark plugs used to need changing every 6-10K miles. These days with fuel injection and precise fueling controlled by computers, you don't even worry about them until past 100K.
Quite glad they don't need frequent changing. Now days just finding the plugs can be a pain, removing the coil packs can be difficult in such confined spaces. I do miss the open engine bays with the room to work from the good old days. I certainly do NOT miss rebuilding carbs though.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Quite glad they don't need frequent changing. Now days just finding the plugs can be a pain, removing the coil packs can be difficult in such confined spaces. I do miss the open engine bays with the room to work from the good old days. I certainly do NOT miss rebuilding carbs though.
On the other hand, I've owned a lot of classic cars over the years, and for me, there is something quite satisfying about them. I knew how to work on them, and I didn't need to be a computer programmer with expensive diagnostic machines. Just a few simple tools sufficed. What they lacked in terms of reliability, they made up in simplicity.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

On the other hand, I've owned a lot of classic cars over the years, and for me, there is something quite satisfying about them. I knew how to work on them, and I didn't need to be a computer programmer with expensive diagnostic machines. Just a few simple tools sufficed. What they lacked in terms of reliability, they made up in simplicity.
So true... IMO, there was nothing better than rebuilding a small block Chevy in your garage on the weekend with nothing special required except a torque wrench and a piston ring compressor...

Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

So true... IMO, there was nothing better than rebuilding a small block Chevy in your garage on the weekend with nothing special required except a torque wrench and a piston ring compressor...
Bingo, you obviously get it.
But, you also probably cheated like I did, with an electronic ignition (MSD) conversion of the distributor, which certainly made those old carbs work better.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Bingo, you obviously get it.
But, you also probably cheated like I did, with an electronic ignition (MSD) conversion of the distributor, which certainly made those old carbs work better.
Of course... but still, when at the drag races and "tuning" the carb by changing jets between runs, be CERTAIN you don't pinch a gasket... Fire up the fuel pump, watch the fuel pour out of the pinched seal onto the hot manifold and down to the open headers...

the flames are AMAZING until you shut down the fuel pump... hopefully pretty darn fast!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Of course... but still, when at the drag races and "tuning" the carb by changing jets between runs, be CERTAIN you don't pinch a gasket... Fire up the fuel pump, watch the fuel pour out of the pinched seal onto the hot manifold and down to the open headers...

the flames are AMAZING until you shut down the fuel pump... hopefully pretty darn fast!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lordpeterk
My Jag is also my day-to-day driver, but of course I don't like the short-term stop-and-go conditions any more than anybody else. What I usually do in such cases is to make maybe a five-mile or so "detour" down a nearby expressway or at least a stretch of open highway, during which time I like to "open it up"a little and let the cat stretch its legs. Typically I will let it wind up to about 100 mph, just long enough to make sure I saw three digits on the readout, then ease it back down gently.

Back on point, at least somewhat... I see no mechanical reason why this practice would be a problem. or at least I certainly hope not because I find myself doing the exact same thing... most evenings, on my way home from the office, I take various round-a-bout longer ways home, on certain roads I am more confident I can reach 100+ mph speeds without getting nailed.

Top speed thus far: 154mph. Pacific Coast Hwy in Huntington Beach. Those that might know the area will think I'm nuts, but I know where they hide.

The one thing I will add for those that have not had the luxury of accomplishing such yet. This sweet cat absolutely sings between 120 and 130. Had the opportunity a few months ago to cover a twenty mile stretch of open freeway "cruising" at 125+. Had two other cars making the pace along with me, so the "security in numbers" principal made us less concerned about law enforcement.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

As we said, it makes no difference one way or the other, and it certainly causes no harm to the car anyway, unless one hits something.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-17-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

modern cars doing 100mph on a smooth road is vanilla. heck, you barely tap on the gas and you're doing 60mph already. I remember my first car w/ less than 100hp, doing 80mph the car was shaking and felt like it was going to fall apart!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If you need a reason to rationalize going over 100, feel free to use any excuse you can come up with. However, even on the old school vehicles, "blowing it out" requires high engine speed under load, not high vehicle speed. Even with them, though, the cleaning additives found in current mid and high grade fuels, and the absence of lead, help to reduce deposits on the plugs. Just have to worry about fuel mixture.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
modern cars doing 100mph on a smooth road is vanilla. heck, you barely tap on the gas and you're doing 60mph already. I remember my first car w/ less than 100hp, doing 80mph the car was shaking and felt like it was going to fall apart!
So basically you needed to get the wheels balanced???

Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I remember my first car w/ less than 100hp, doing 80mph the car was shaking and felt like it was going to fall apart!

My MG Midget could only break 85MPH when going downhill. It might have had a bigger trunk, however.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If Im not mistaken thats called an italian tune up- was typically done to "blow out the crap in the fuel line" of classic italian sportscars. (Well at least thats the story Im sticking with officer)