Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
I'm racking up the miles. Fortunately the weather doesn't prohibit me from daily driving.

Damn... I'm a whole 10k behind you! (But I can see yours isn't a 2016. I'll work on catching you. That May Lobster Run will add a few thousand quite quickly!)

It's good to know people drive these cars and they aren't all garage queens!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LethalElbow
I am in Arizona. I assure you it will get driven all "winter" :-P
You're just being mean

Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I've had mine for 5 months and put 5K miles on it so far........not enough for my tastes but we did have some rainy days!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

was 12 degrees yesterday and the p zeros really really don't like that. Got quite squirrely when not expected - luckily I didn't spill my coffee, could easily have gone quite bad.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

If you are driving on summer tires when it's 12 degrees out I don't think you should be surprised if unexpected things happen.

Drive your F-Type in the winter, but do it safely!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mostly rain in Oregon...the kitty is very at home thinking she's on her wet/rainy birth island. No problem driving this winter.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
was 12 degrees yesterday and the p zeros really really don't like that. Got quite squirrely when not expected - luckily I didn't spill my coffee, could easily have gone quite bad.
Perhaps it's a V6 thing versus a V8 thing but I drove all last winter on the OEM P-Zeros and while I never got overly aggressive - spirited is a better word - I also never had any drama (which I couldn't control). And I had encountered my share of cold (lots of cold), rain, snow (lots of snow) and, yes, ice. Granted, I am fully aware that those P-Zeros are a summer/warm weather tire - and it's not like I ever planned or wanted to drive during a snowstorm - and why I bought a new winter (All-Season) set this year so I could push the [winter] envelope more. That is when not on holiday. .

Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Not driving...

Currently in the hate phase of my love/hate relationship with this car...

Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Currently in the hate phase of my love/hate relationship with this car...
What did I miss???? Please don't tell me it's because of "the ticket"!

Old 01-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Got her out.

Mine has been in the garage for a month now, but finally the roads were cleared and dry, and it seemed a good time to get her out for a winter run. Temperature was 24 F here at 8,000 in Colorado. Mine is a Base with Continental SC2 tires. My driveway is still snowpacked, but I figured it'd be OK. Mistake. As I crept down my driveway, 250 ft long with a 10 degree slope, there was no traction at all. It was like I was on ice skates. As I crept down, the car was sliding down and sideways towards the ditch. Oh my! I managed to get it to the road, but realized there was no way I could drive it back up. Still we had a nice drive out to lunch, a shopping stop, and groceries. Now, how do I get her home? I called for a flat-bed tow truck. The guy was good and very careful and we got her home without damage. I'll get it out again in winter, but not unless my driveway is melted down to the gravel. And, after driving it again, we realized how much we missed it. It was a blast. Come on sun.

Attached Thumbnails Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!-jaguar-flatbed-2017-01-06-001.jpg   Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!-jaguar-flatbed-2017-01-06-010.jpg  
Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Even the Conti's on the base are ultra high performance summer tires. I would never trust any UHP summer tire on snow. They are bad enough on cold, dry pavement, but I do carefully drive mine all winter when the roads are dry.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Last week the temp dropped during the day. When I left work, I gave it the normal amount of go pedal turning left out of the office. It was really squirrely. Since then I use snow mode when it's cold until the tires warm up.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Last week the temp dropped during the day. When I left work, I gave it the normal amount of go pedal turning left out of the office. It was really squirrely. Since then I use snow mode when it's cold until the tires warm up.
The go-pedal is still analog, not binary.Throttle input modulation is every bit as effective as the snow mode nanny. Full DSC, however, is quite useful in slippery conditions, and love the TVB.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The go-pedal is still analog, not binary.Throttle input modulation is every bit as effective as the snow mode nanny. Full DSC, however, is quite useful in slippery conditions, and love the TVB.
+1. I still occasionally use Dynamic mode on cold pavement, and I'm almost always in Sport mode, but I also know how and when to control my right foot.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Hey f-typers, I have been contemplating moving from my XF to an f-type. I think my preference is for a 2016 due to awd as I am thinking to drive it year round as I do my XF, so i hope tagging on to this thread is ok. I wanted to know what offsets are required for f-type, hoping I could use my winter setup with Nokia Hakka R's on the f-type. My oem 20''s are 49 front, 66 rear, if I remember correctly, but my Savinis are 35 and 49 if I recall. Savini''s are 20''s too. Nokia are 8 inch wide at all corners.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Hey f-typers, I have been contemplating moving from my XF to an f-type. I think my preference is for a 2016 due to awd as I am thinking to drive it year round as I do my XF, so i hope tagging on to this thread is ok. I wanted to know what offsets are required for f-type, hoping I could use my winter setup with Nokia Hakka R's on the f-type. My oem 20''s are 49 front, 66 rear, if I remember correctly, but my Savinis are 35 and 49 if I recall. Savini''s are 20''s too. Nokia are 8 inch wide at all corners.
Here are the specs on the 20" OEM F-Type wheels.

Number of Bolts: 5
Rim Material:Alloy
Bolt Pattern:5x108
Rim Width: 9 FRONT / 10.5 REAR
Hub Bore:63.4
Rim Diameter:20
Rim Structure:One Piece
Offset:55 FRONT / 38 REAR

To advise regarding your winter setup, we will need more specifics:
Rim width
Actual Tire size (not the measurement)

You'll need to confirm whether the bolt pattern and hub bore are compatible.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (02-18-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Mine is still tucked away in the garage with summer tires on, and has been so for a while.

Before new year the roads were wet and full of dirt and salt. Now it has been between -10 and -15 celsius since new year, and we have gotten a bit too much snow. The same cold weather is expected to last at least through January, so it will be some time before I get to drive it.

Looking very much forward to spring though

Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Um, snow tires are for snow.

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Mine has been in the garage for a month now, but finally the roads were cleared and dry, and it seemed a good time to get her out for a winter run. Temperature was 24 F here at 8,000 in Colorado. Mine is a Base with Continental SC2 tires. My driveway is still snowpacked, but I figured it'd be OK. Mistake. As I crept down my driveway, 250 ft long with a 10 degree slope, there was no traction at all. It was like I was on ice skates. As I crept down, the car was sliding down and sideways towards the ditch. Oh my! I managed to get it to the road, but realized there was no way I could drive it back up. Still we had a nice drive out to lunch, a shopping stop, and groceries. Now, how do I get her home? I called for a flat-bed tow truck. The guy was good and very careful and we got her home without damage. I'll get it out again in winter, but not unless my driveway is melted down to the gravel. And, after driving it again, we realized how much we missed it. It was a blast. Come on sun.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Mine is still tucked away in the garage with summer tires on, and has been so for a while.

Before new year the roads were wet and full of dirt and salt. Now it has been between -10 and -15 celsius since new year, and we have gotten a bit too much snow. The same cold weather is expected to last at least through January, so it will be some time before I get to drive it.

Looking very much forward to spring though

Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Yes they are, and that's what's on our everyday use car - so no problems there. I don't mind all the salt getting on that car either

Quick Reply: Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!