F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting on "oh shit" passenger handle on Premium Base 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CJB replacement for interior ambient lights

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
It turns out that the CJB (Central Junction Box) needed to be replaced as it was not outputting the correct voltage to power the light strips. I went specifically to the same dealer that fixed the same concern on another owners car even though that dealer is 2 hours away from me. If you need my repair order, I'll be happy to forward you the details so that you don't get the run around. Although keep in mind, on my car, it was all 3 lighting strips that weren't lighting up.
Hi guys,
I just signed up to this forum and have already found lots of useful information. However, I have run to the same issue on MY 16 F-Type Base lighting not illuminating the bar and the speaker grills. I have been going back & forth with my dealer in North Jersey in regards to this matter for a week now but they won’t budge. A repaid order addressing and detailing this issues would be a tremendous help. Looking forward to all of your inputs. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2021, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

If you’re out of warranty you may be out of luck as I don’t think TSB would force them. The test was pretty simple on the CJB, no voltage output where expected.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
If you’re out of warranty you may be out of luck as I don’t think TSB would force them. The test was pretty simple on the CJB, no voltage output where expected.
Thanks for the prompt response! The car is under CPO warranty for another 20 months. However, I’m not entirely sure if CJB is covered under CPO program as the dealer is not even contemplating on checking to see if that’s the source of the problem. The Tech keeps insisting that those lights are not supposed to be lit on my spec of car and I can’t convince them otherwise unless I can actually show them a repair order addressing the same issue.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I took my 2016 in last week for the same thing, tech said my car doesn’t come with that package. He showed me the schematic and he was correct. However I told him about this post and what was said about the CJB not having the correct voltage to power it etc. (read the threads) I asked him to take the door panel off and test the volts. Sure enough the did something with his tester and all the lights came on. $1500 for the part and labor to have a new CJB installed.... or he could attach a wire to it from something else in the door panel and it would only cost an hour for labor. I did that, and everything is working fine. I’ll pull the panel this weekend and show what he did.

chuck

Old 04-08-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckTrish1
Well I took my 2016 in last week for the same thing, tech said my car doesn’t come with that package. He showed me the schematic and he was correct. However I told him about this post and what was said about the CJB not having the correct voltage to power it etc. (read the threads) I asked him to take the door panel off and test the volts. Sure enough the did something with his tester and all the lights came on. $1500 for the part and labor to have a new CJB installed.... or he could attach a wire to it from something else in the door panel and it would only cost an hour for labor. I did that, and everything is working fine. I’ll pull the panel this weekend and show what he did.

chuck
Wow, that’s interesting. Was this done by an Indy shop tech or a JLR dealership tech? I feel like JLR techs wouldn’t do anything that’ll save you money. So I’m assuming that CJB replacement is not covered under CPO? I’m going to speak directly to tech tomorrow morning. I’m going to show him this entire thread hoping he’ll see what I’m on about. If not, a trip directly to the JLR NA HQ (15 mins away from me) might be the next thing on my agenda. A pic of what they’ve done in the door panel would be tremendously helpful, Chuck! Thank you!

Shaun

The following users liked this post:
ChuckTrish1 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Well there's a possible difference due to your "build spec". I didn't realize mine was supposed to have the lighting (not the variable color but at least the base blue) until I ran the VIN through ToPix. My dealer ran a similar check and confirmed. They did end up opening a case with Jaguar Engineering back in the UK because they were initially unable to explain it. I assume that any physical wiring I should have had, was present. As with many build options, it may be that to "detune" your lighting, if your VIN didn't claim it was there, was to just remove a wire between the CJB and the lights themselves. I initially thought maybe they had handles without the LED fitted but I guess in these days of parts arriving Just In Time, it's simpler to take the hit of a few cents for LEDs with a single part number.

And as I recall they actually had to replace the "new" part as the first replacement fixed the lights issue but was not correctly providing power to the fuel pump so it wouldn't start...sigh...

Some folks say their issues were resolved with a software reset of the car configuration file - my JLR techs had already tried that without result which is why they escalated to JLR HQ.

Last edited by stmcknig; 04-09-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:02 AM

Yes, it was done at my local JLR dealership.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shah7
Wow, that’s interesting. Was this done by an Indy shop tech or a JLR dealership tech? I feel like JLR techs wouldn’t do anything that’ll save you money. So I’m assuming that CJB replacement is not covered under CPO? I’m going to speak directly to tech tomorrow morning. I’m going to show him this entire thread hoping he’ll see what I’m on about. If not, a trip directly to the JLR NA HQ (15 mins away from me) might be the next thing on my agenda. A pic of what they’ve done in the door panel would be tremendously helpful, Chuck! Thank you!

Shaun
Yes, at my local JLR dealership. My dealership is all about helping and customer satisfaction. Also, you are correct, the CJB would not have been covered under warranty for my 2016. (I sent you a private message as well)

Chuck

Old 04-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckTrish1
Yes, at my local JLR dealership. My dealership is all about helping and customer satisfaction. Also, you are correct, the CJB would not have been covered under warranty for my 2016. (I sent you a private message as well)

Chuck
CJB will be covered under new car warranty as well as CPO.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:47 PM

Hi guys,
I just signed up to this forum and have already found lots of useful information. However, I have run to the same issue on MY 16 F-Type Base lighting not illuminating the bar and the speaker grills. I have been going back & forth with my dealer in North Jersey in regards to this matter for a week now but they won’t budge. A repaid order addressing and detailing this issues would be a tremendous help. Looking forward to all of your inputs. Thanks in advance!
Please be sure that your F-Type Base does have this feature. I do not believe this option was available on all models. I did not have to have anything replaced in my vehicle for my dealership to enable the lighting. Somewhere in my records I have the detailed dealer notes about what they did to fix the issue but I do think it was just a simple software enabling of the lighting. It may have also been some sort of software update. If you are outside of warranty you may be out of luck and may have to pay to get somebody to just hook it up to the computer and look. The most important thing to do would be to ensure that your vehicle is supposed to come with that option. My memory is poor but I did not think that the base models came with that feature. I wish I could be of more help and maybe somebody else here can be.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to confirm, if TOPIX says you have 'Ambient Lighting' then the center bar and door lighting should work. My 2106 Base with the Premium + Vision package has it also.

Last edited by Jim F; 04-09-2021 at 03:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChuckTrish1 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
... if TOPIX says you have 'Ambient Lighting' ...
Mine says "Ambient Lighting-Configurable",

Old 04-09-2021, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Mine says "Ambient Lighting-Configurable",
Ditto.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Cool

Shaun
Here are a few pictures of the wire that was used to get my lights to work. It is the red wire. Everything works great. Hope these help.

Saved me $1500.00

Old 04-12-2021, 06:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Shaun
I have a MY16 base premium and there was no need to replace the CJB but my case was escalated to JLR engineering by the dealer to get the ambient lighting issue resolved because they couldn't get to work and I think the service techs maybe thought the ambient lighting only worked if the car had idynamics. It an extra week to get it all working, service performed gateway module upate from, GX53-14F530-AC to GX53-14F530-AG and also update to BCM from FW93-14C184-AF to FW93-14C184-AH and it was done under warranty.

here's a pic of the dealer service notes.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:32 AM

ChuckTrish1
I too have the same issue...
The repair looks quite simple but I have not pulled off a door panel on my F type.
Willing to give it a try... Is it possible you could give me the sequence on removing the panel?
Clips/ screws or whatever hides inside??? I take it the repair was done on the drivers side?
I do have a CPO warranty still in effect but I am also over 2 hours from my Jaguar dealer.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Default No luck

I’ve got an update guys...

After keeping my car at the dealership for almost three weeks, the tech arrived at the conclusion that the “ambient lighting option” was simply not selected and was not on the build sheet... despite the fact that I provided multiple repair orders that you guys provided me with..needless to say I am absolutely fuming. I’ve attached a photo of the Repair order. Has anyone had any luck fixing this issue in any dealership in North Jersey, New Jersey? My dealership is quite frankly useless. I’ve had my issues with them for RRS repairs and services as well. At this point an hour or two commute to a dealership that’ll actually address this issue appears to be the only option.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:45 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Reading this whole thread with great interest... I have a MY2017 Premium Base (not R or S) manual trans. Went out and checked for the light strip on the armrest.. it's there. When I get in the car, the lights at the base of each door light up as well as the footwells. No other lights. Are the door handle, lock and window switch lights supposed to come on when the car is in "on" mode (not running, but ign. button blipped)?? or when it's dark? I have the build sheet, nothing listed about ambient lighting, but would like to check the TOPIx.. I found the site, entered my VIN, but although all 17 characters there, TOPIx said to enter a "complete VIN". Guidance, Please?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

When it told me to enter a complete VIN I noticed I'd missed the last digit off. You haven't mixed up zeroes and capital 'O's, or something similar?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by koolkat
ChuckTrish1
I too have the same issue...
The repair looks quite simple but I have not pulled off a door panel on my F type.
Willing to give it a try... Is it possible you could give me the sequence on removing the panel?
Clips/ screws or whatever hides inside??? I take it the repair was done on the drivers side?
I do have a CPO warranty still in effect but I am also over 2 hours from my Jaguar dealer.

Look at this YouTube video, it shows in detail how to remove the door panel

Quick Reply: Lighting on "oh shit" passenger handle on Premium Base 2016?