F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIGHTWEIGHT 2PC Brake Disc / Rotors for those without ceramics

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EdG
2 Piece were available, can't remember if Girodisk or not, but they currently are not available from anyone as far as I can tell. I would get them if they were available. Brembo makes them but you need to get their rotors and cost over $4 K. Hoping someone makes them again that fit standard Jaguar rotors.
Girodisk would do it, but a minimum order is 10 sets.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Girodisk would do it, but a minimum order is 10 sets.
I tried contacting them via e-mail and phone call, but was never able to get anyone to respond...how did you manage this witchcraft?

Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
I tried contacting them via e-mail and phone call, but was never able to get anyone to respond...how did you manage this witchcraft?
I sent them an email and got a response within 24h

"Thanks for getting in touch, unfortunately we do not currently offer anything for the XKR-S Jag. It’s likely something we could produce but with any new applications we look for a commitment and/or minimum order quantity of at least 10 sets. Feel free to post up on the forums/social media groups to see if you can drum up some interest but until then we do not have any plans to make rotors for this application."

I would be game, but trying to find another 9 people would be a challenge. It's the same part number for XKR and F-type.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:39 AM

I sent them an email and got a response within 24h

"Thanks for getting in touch, unfortunately we do not currently offer anything for the XKR-S Jag. It’s likely something we could produce but with any new applications we look for a commitment and/or minimum order quantity of at least 10 sets. Feel free to post up on the forums/social media groups to see if you can drum up some interest but until then we do not have any plans to make rotors for this application."

I would be game, but trying to find another 9 people would be a challenge. It's the same part number for XKR and F-type.
I'm down for it but I don't know if your statement is 100%, since the F-Type has I think 3 different rotor sizes based on trim level?

Old 10-04-2021, 09:42 AM

I'm down for it but I don't know if your statement is 100%, since the F-Type has I think 3 different rotor sizes based on trim level?
I did not know that. I have 380mm front and 376mm rear.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:08 AM

So it's the base R and the S w/ the performance package.

I'm for it.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

So it's the base R and the S w/ the performance package.
Those sizes match what is called "Super Performance Brakes" on the F-Type, as opposed to Performance and High Performance. I think the sizes were:

Performance - 355/325
High Performance - 380/325
Super Performance - 380/376

I don't know if they changed the naming along the way, but those labels apply for 2016.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:26 AM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 10-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Wortec won’t supply them anymore?
I have emailed Anneliese at Wortec recently and she told me that with the cost of materials, manufacturing and warehousing they wont do individual orders any more and it costs to much to do a production run and then let them sit on the warehouse for who knows how long because the rotors just don't sell that much. Wortec WILL do a run if you put together a run of the "same thing" for 10 sets of rotors fronts and/or rears. That means no mixing and matching of performance and super performance rotors.
I tried to put together a group buy about 2 years ago and it was pretty obvious that there was lots of interest but very few actually willing to buy.
I was holding a new set of Wortec rear rotors when they sent me a whole new set of front and rear rotors to solve my brake pulsing problem that turned out to be a subtle bad casting in one of the front rotors (very hard to see) so I never used the new rear rotors. It took them about 1 year to find a new buyer here in the USA even with reduced shipping cost and no custom headaches. Plus I want to add here that Wortec has been a fantastic company to work with, great product and stand behind their product.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by J444G
Thanks for the link. Never heard of these guys.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by WayneB
I have emailed Anneliese at Wortec recently and she told me that with the cost of materials, manufacturing and warehousing they wont do individual orders any more and it costs to much to do a production run and then let them sit on the warehouse for who knows how long because the rotors just don't sell that much. Wortec WILL do a run if you put together a run of the "same thing" for 10 sets of rotors fronts and/or rears. That means no mixing and matching of performance and super performance rotors.
I tried to put together a group buy about 2 years ago and it was pretty obvious that there was lots of interest but very few actually willing to buy.
I was holding a new set of Wortec rear rotors when they sent me a whole new set of front and rear rotors to solve my brake pulsing problem that turned out to be a subtle bad casting in one of the front rotors (very hard to see) so I never used the new rear rotors. It took them about 1 year to find a new buyer here in the USA even with reduced shipping cost and no custom headaches. Plus I want to add here that Wortec has been a fantastic company to work with, great product and stand behind their product.
Try to reach Tarox as I linked. I don't know them, but apparently they are not casting but CNC machining the discs, so they should be able to do 1-set orders.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
Try to reach Tarox as I linked. I don't know them, but apparently they are not casting but CNC machining the discs, so they should be able to do 1-set orders.
I have Wortec rotors on my car and very happy with them.
I just happened to have a second set of rear rotors left over when Wortec sent me a full set of rotors when I had a pulsing problem with my first set that turned out to be a faulty casting on my left front rotor. Wortec was very helpful in solving my problem and standing behind they products.
Those rotors still belonged to Wortec and it took them about a year to find a buyer in the USA for them, That's how fast they sell here!
Unfortunately aftermarket brakes for Jaguar F Types are just not a fast or big selling item.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Last time I checked, lightweight rotors were around $2.5k? Am I still in the ball park? Will need new rotors within a year probably so seeing how much these would cost compared to day $700 rotors from tirerack. Subscribing.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:51 PM

I would very much rather go with Girodiscs. Wortec/Tarox quality aside, Girodisc is a well-known go-to for rotor upgrades, and it's in the USA (for those in NA) so costs should be much cheaper, and a much easier time dealing with returns/exchanges. I had a set in my Evo a long time ago and they can do no wrong.

(also I can't find Tarox rear discs...which is a no-go imo)

Last edited by MisplacedPriorities; 10-04-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:48 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Did you all see this other post? Anybody other than Alasdair 63 have them?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...es-svr-251703/

Old 10-05-2021, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Did you all see this other post? Anybody other than Alasdair 63 have them?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...es-svr-251703/
I'm aware of PB Brakes. Did a lot of homework on them as well. As a track day enthusiast, I wouldn't recommend them. Other than the fact these guys use mix-and-match parts that they think matches several builds, the biggest issue comes down to fit and purpose.

To get the size rotors that matches closest to the R or the Super Performance Brake package, your only option is to get 8 pot calipers front and 4 pot rears. Those pots require way too much volume for the OEM master cylinder to push fluids through quickly enough for a good response. The result is a brake pedal that you have to push further down than usual to get the same brake engagement. For daily driving that may be acceptable or can be brushed off, but for track days and even spirited driving, it makes for a lazy (and less confident) brake pedal.

While brake "feel" is subjective, the fluid requirement for their 8 pot front/4 pot rear is likely beyond what the stock MC can push. I'm unsure if they actually tested their kits on a real F-Type to be quite honest; my guess is they probably gathered fitting specs on paper and just went with it. To put it in perspective, the Brembo GT calipers are "only" 6 pots, fronts only, and they guarantee same as OEM brake engagement and feel. There's also someone with an XJ I think that had the same kit and said the brakes felt spongier than before. If PB can offer, say, a 6 pot with the same rotor size, that may be different. However, I doubt they can do that, given the parts bin thing. Or, you can try upgrading just the fronts and see if the MC can handle the extra volume.

The difference with lower trims with smaller brakes/rotors though may have a better chance at it and less difference, but I'm unsure.

Last edited by MisplacedPriorities; 10-05-2021 at 02:12 AM.
JacksonvilleJag (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 03:09 AM
Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

I am in the process of upgrading my 380mm rotors and ugly OEM calipers.

New setup will be based on 6pot AMG paired with custom 2-piece 415mm rotor.
Keep in mind this is just a preproduction set and the final product is expected in about 4 weeks.

JgaXkr (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 06:34 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm aware of PB Brakes. Did a lot of homework on them as well. As a track day enthusiast, I wouldn't recommend them. Other than the fact these guys use mix-and-match parts that they think matches several builds, the biggest issue comes down to fit and purpose.

To get the size rotors that matches closest to the R or the Super Performance Brake package, your only option is to get 8 pot calipers front and 4 pot rears. Those pots require way too much volume for the OEM master cylinder to push fluids through quickly enough for a good response. The result is a brake pedal that you have to push further down than usual to get the same brake engagement. For daily driving that may be acceptable or can be brushed off, but for track days and even spirited driving, it makes for a lazy (and less confident) brake pedal.

While brake "feel" is subjective, the fluid requirement for their 8 pot front/4 pot rear is likely beyond what the stock MC can push. I'm unsure if they actually tested their kits on a real F-Type to be quite honest; my guess is they probably gathered fitting specs on paper and just went with it. To put it in perspective, the Brembo GT calipers are "only" 6 pots, fronts only, and they guarantee same as OEM brake engagement and feel. There's also someone with an XJ I think that had the same kit and said the brakes felt spongier than before. If PB can offer, say, a 6 pot with the same rotor size, that may be different. However, I doubt they can do that, given the parts bin thing. Or, you can try upgrading just the fronts and see if the MC can handle the extra volume.

The difference with lower trims with smaller brakes/rotors though may have a better chance at it and less difference, but I'm unsure.
Thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for. The other post basically just had a picture and they do look quite good.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:33 AM

With all these aftermarket big brake kits, like PB or AMG or whatever "mixed" I would be ultra-scared about the brake bias distribution. The master cylinder pressure was already mentioned, but all these custom sizes make different leverage and all these custom pots different pressure front-rear. The car is equipped with a TON of automatic braking features and considering the speed these cars can go... I woud just be afraid.

jcb-memphis (11-04-2021)