F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 12:19 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I'm not clueless regarding electronics, but have no idea abou the F-Type charging system. I believe (but am open to correction by those who know!) that the system will adjust to a new battery over time but a dealer will always tell you it has to be configured to the car. I replaced the battery in my previous XKR, it didn't go near a dealer and worked perfectly. Unhingd is the man to advise on the use of Lithium batteries and their configuration requirements.
When I installed the Liteblox lithium-ion battery it was plug-and-play, there was no need for configuring anything, though with added benefit of the start-stop function being disabled after installing the new battery

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Antigravity ATX-30-HD battery fitted and saved 53 pounds. Battery was not fully charged but it started the car without hesitation and didn't hesitate with the premium sound system at full volume. Since I already have CTEK chargers, getting the lithium version was plug and play, literally.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:00 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

Anyone know if/when the Liteblox lithium-ion battery will be in the US?

Old 06-19-2021, 06:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

To jahummer... you used the "Antigravity ATX30-HD Battery" Instead of the Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery? For the main battery ( I have two batteries being a 2014 )...
The web site only listed the "Antigravity H7/Group-94R Car Battery" for the F-Type. Curious as I am about to gat a new main battery and disconnect the 2nd battery for the stop/start function.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the ATX30HD is sufficient as a main battery so long as you understand it’s not the same capacity as a full
size. If you’re in the habit of letting the car sit for months at a time undriven or if you’re in the habit of operating the electrics with the engine switched off then a maintainer would be advisable.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:43 AM
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you jahummer... I do keep it on a battery charger/maintainer when not in use... I'll take another look.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Make certain to use this CTEK, a conventional will not work:

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...ek-lithium-us/

Old 06-20-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
When I installed the Liteblox lithium-ion battery it was plug-and-play, there was no need for configuring anything, though with added benefit of the start-stop function being disabled after installing the new battery
Same issue here. Stop-start permanently disabled when the lithium battery is installed. (No warning lights). Perfect. Works again when the AGM battery is in place. The lithium batteries are plug and play if sized correctly. Have had mine for 3 years, no issues, and never have used a trickle charger despite the car sitting weeks at a time during the pandemic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jahummer (06-20-2021), supersportmtl (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

So you’re saying you’ve solved the oft asked question of how to disable ECO without any warning lights 🥳 guess I now need to do this on the Discovery.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
So you’re saying you’ve solved the oft asked question of how to disable ECO without any warning lights 🥳 guess I now need to do this on the Discovery.
I simply removed the second/aux battery altogether, no more SS, no warning lights, no errors, no nuffin except total satisfaction at booting the SS into the weeds forever.
Maybe the same thing will work on your Disco assuming it is an older one with the secondary battery.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
jahummer (06-20-2021), JgaXkr (06-20-2021), supersportmtl (06-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Yes. This seems to have worked on a number of the F-Types that have switched to Lithium batteries.

jahummer (06-26-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Follow up to report how fantastic this battery is. Has not been on the CTEK since fitted. Driven rarely and for short distances only until track season resumes later this year. Battery at full charge, all electrics operating correctly, wish I'd done this years ago. Certainly appears significantly more reliable than even AGM.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
If you guys are interested in dropping 40lbs... here you go

https://youtu.be/xRdvqx_4w2A
I am very interested in it. My OEM battery is slowly becoming weak and needs to be replaced. Do I have to pay attention to something? I thought new batteries need to be taught in (reprogrammed)? Or is that just going in and out? Thanks for your tips and information.
I would buy this one:

https://shop.fritec-ladegeraete.de/a...-en-peak-euro6
BR and thank you so much for your help
Andi

Old 05-04-2022, 12:49 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking at replacing my AGM battery with a light weight Li-ion battery, and an obvious choice is the Antigravity. My car isn't a F-Type, but XFR-S, but like a lot of other things the battery is basically the same from one model to another.

Disappointingly Antigravity batteries have not come down in price, in fact I think they have gone up.

Just curious if anyone has tried any other batteries? I'm researching other models, and it doesn't seem like a lot of other lithium batteries have a lot of user feedback in automotive applications.

I'm in Canada, so I'll refer to pricing in Cdn and US dollars, but Anti-gravity battery for my application: Antigravity H7
Price is: ~$950US ($1,235Cdn, converted at multiplier of 1.3), this is for the 60Amp apparently talking to Antigravity that is all I would need, I like it cause it costs less than the 80amp and weighs even less at 18.5lbs (60Amp) vs 25.5lbs (80Amp)

Now I have come across another Lithium Battery, that comes in a H8 size (same dimensions as the H7, just a bit longer and the true replacement stock size):
Kepworth 12V-100Amp Kepworth 12V-100Amp
(Sorry for the Amazon Canada website link, the Amazon.com shows these batteries as unavailable, so no price to make my point).
Price is: ~$408US ($530Cdn converted at same multiplier of 1.3, and there is even an option to buy at $489Cdn which works out to $376US). This is 100Amp and weighs 24.2lbs, so a huge weight saving over stock, but a bit heavier over the antigravity.

Comparable weight saving and a price difference of $500+US ($700+Cdn)

I'm tempted for the price difference to buy the Kepworth Battery and report back, but wanted to check with the community if anyone has direct experience with this battery brand in an automotive application? Or if there are any other technical differences that I'm overlooking?

Sparky H (04-17-2023)
Old 05-04-2022, 01:44 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

there was this thread fairly recent that showed a member who had issues w/ his lithium battery: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...system-257523/

just something to keep in mind. many have not had problems though.

datriani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

To lower pollution ( by not charging the battery all the time ), it looks as if lithium batteries throw a spanner in the jags 'eco' battery system. Just ANOTHER thing to go wrong imho.....

Old 05-04-2022, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve done extensive research and came to the conclusion AG is the best product for the money. There are other products for less but not as sophisticated and possibly not appropriate for the application.

datriani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been using a AG 60ah H8 battery for about a year and haven't had any issues with it charging or staying charged but it seems like there have been a few users with recent issues. I drive 4-10 times a week and it usually 40-100 miles each trip. Also, my start/stop is disconnected. I mention this because my car get's a pretty good charge each time I start it and drive it. When it sits for more than 2 days, I throw it on the Ctek Lithium battery charger.

I'm not sure if this is a factor or not but the operating temp for these batteries is up to 160F. I have a CTEK battery monitor and recently noticed on a 70F day, the battery itself got up to about 110F after about an hour of driving. With a BMS, I'm wondering if the battery gets up in temp (140-150f range) that it might disconnect the circuit to prevent any damage to the battery. This is just a speculation on my part but I will be monitoring it as we get into summer and it gets into the 100F weather. I did apply a dynamat insulation material in the area where our battery is and that might be a contributing factor as to why my battery went up in temp. Lots of unknowns and variables with this but I'll circle back if I see any issues or trends that might be a factor in why some people are having issues with their AG batteries.

I agree with JAhummer that this is the best lithium battery for the price. Getting a cheaper alternative potentially means you're compromising on the BMS, the quality of the lithium batteries (longevity) and the overall QC for that brand. I'm willing to pay a few hundred bucks more for a critical part with a reputable brand., especially on this relatively expensive car.

I replaced my JLR battery well before it's time and it's sitting in the garage on a trickle charger.... keeping it as a spare/backup.

jahummer (05-07-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 03:07 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I've been using a AG 60ah H8 battery for about a year and haven't had any issues with it charging or staying charged but it seems like there have been a few users with recent issues. I drive 4-10 times a week and it usually 40-100 miles each trip. Also, my start/stop is disconnected. I mention this because my car get's a pretty good charge each time I start it and drive it. When it sits for more than 2 days, I throw it on the Ctek Lithium battery charger.

I'm not sure if this is a factor or not but the operating temp for these batteries is up to 160F. I have a CTEK battery monitor and recently noticed on a 70F day, the battery itself got up to about 110F after about an hour of driving. With a BMS, I'm wondering if the battery gets up in temp (140-150f range) that it might disconnect the circuit to prevent any damage to the battery. This is just a speculation on my part but I will be monitoring it as we get into summer and it gets into the 100F weather. I did apply a dynamat insulation material in the area where our battery is and that might be a contributing factor as to why my battery went up in temp. Lots of unknowns and variables with this but I'll circle back if I see any issues or trends that might be a factor in why some people are having issues with their AG batteries.

I agree with JAhummer that this is the best lithium battery for the price. Getting a cheaper alternative potentially means you're compromising on the BMS, the quality of the lithium batteries (longevity) and the overall QC for that brand. I'm willing to pay a few hundred bucks more for a critical part with a reputable brand., especially on this relatively expensive car.

I replaced my JLR battery well before it's time and it's sitting in the garage on a trickle charger.... keeping it as a spare/backup.
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I have gone ahead and ordered the H7 60AH battery and will report back once it’s received and installed.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:51 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Is there any case where the start-stop works with a lithium ion battery installed?

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery?