Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 05:56 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I have gone ahead and ordered the H7 60AH battery and will report back once it’s received and installed.
I figured I would provide an update with my Anti-Gravity Battery. First off I saved over 40lbs. My H8 AGM Battery was 57.8lbs on my scale, and the AG H7 battery was 17.5lbs on my scale, that's a delta of 40.3lbs.

Second, everything works as it used to with my AGM Battery, even the start-stop. The latest generation of Anti-Gravity Batteries, comes with two perks that they advertise on their batteries (at least for my H7 60AH Battery), it states Start/ Stop Ready, and Built-In/ Jump Start.

So far battery has performed flawlessly. and the Start/ Stop functions as it used to with the AGM Battery. I hope to get many trouble free years from it, to make it worth the investment.

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Is there any case where the start-stop works with a lithium ion battery installed?
As stated it above the latest Anti-Gravity Batteries appear to come with this feature enabled.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:45 PM
Received 244 Likes on 128 Posts

Did you just quickly replace the AGM with the AG or did you use a battery backup to save all your settings?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Did you just quickly replace the AGM with the AG or did you use a battery backup to save all your settings?
no battery saver. And no quick way to replace the battery. It still took 45min. In the XFRS, the interior trim on the trunk has to be removed to take out the spare and the sub-woofer, to clear the battery

Old 07-04-2022, 10:28 AM
Received 244 Likes on 128 Posts

no battery saver. And no quick way to replace the battery. It still took 45min.
"Quick" was a poor choice of words on my part. I fully expect the same ordeal with an F-Type. I have my AG battery and have been looking at it for several months waiting for the original 7 year battery to show some sign of going bad. I purchased the AG battery and a LI charger on a Black Friday sale which was a great savings. Now I just have to get motivated to do the swap.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

I figured I would provide an update with my Anti-Gravity Battery. First off I saved over 40lbs. My H8 AGM Battery was 57.8lbs on my scale, and the AG H7 battery was 17.5lbs on my scale, that's a delta of 40.3lbs.

Second, everything works as it used to with my AGM Battery, even the start-stop. The latest generation of Anti-Gravity Batteries, comes with two perks that they advertise on their batteries (at least for my H7 60AH Battery), it states Start/ Stop Ready, and Built-In/ Jump Start.

So far battery has performed flawlessly. and the Start/ Stop functions as it used to with the AGM Battery. I hope to get many trouble free years from it, to make it worth the investment.

As stated it above the latest Anti-Gravity Batteries appear to come with this feature enabled.
Thank you for this update, very timely for me as I look into replacing the battery in my RS. Idk what I would do without you and your posts @H.Jones

Old 12-13-2022, 11:11 PM
Received 255 Likes on 130 Posts

Update.

I bought the correct form factor battery from AG and ran it for a month. I had intermittent issues and bought a ctek lithium smart charger for it hoping to address the issue - the car gets a good drive ever other day or 3, so it should be able to start.

Well, I started having issues starting the car. Then it stranded me - call the dealer and AAA and had it towed. The re-start did not jump the car as expected. Not sure why.

Issue: the dealer said they had seen this before on F-types. The chief mechanic gave me a free agm battery they had lying around.

Have had lithium batteries before on prior cars - so I get the issues. This was different. I had fully disabled start/stop too.

So, anyone lighten their battery with an AGM battery?

Old 12-14-2022, 07:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Update.

I bought the correct form factor battery from AG and ran it for a month. I had intermittent issues and bought a ctek lithium smart charger for it hoping to address the issue - the car gets a good drive ever other day or 3, so it should be able to start.

Well, I started having issues starting the car. Then it stranded me - call the dealer and AAA and had it towed. The re-start did not jump the car as expected. Not sure why.

Issue: the dealer said they had seen this before on F-types. The chief mechanic gave me a free agm battery they had lying around.

Have had lithium batteries before on prior cars - so I get the issues. This was different. I had fully disabled start/stop too.

So, anyone lighten their battery with an AGM battery?
I just installed the AG H8 60Ah on my '16 R 4 days ago and driven it twice in 2 days for 4 miles each.

My volt meter read14.6V at the batt terminals at engine idle (cold startup) right after install, which per AG documentation is the MAX acceptable charge voltage, beyond which presumably AG's internal BMS prevents charging. I wonder if that high a voltage (or higher?!) is normal alternator output or it drops down closer to 14V during regular operation? If the former, that would explain why the AG doesn't get charged.

Car's driven only once a week at most so will see how it holds up, especially now through the NY wintertime. BTW H8/Group49 is the correct OE size.

Last edited by Bierry; 12-14-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bierry
Do you have the 60Ah also? I just installed the AG H8 60Ah on my '16 R on Saturday (4 days ago) and driven it once each on Sat and Sun for 4 miles. Car's driven once a week at most so will see how it holds up, especially now through the NY wintertime. BTW H8/Group49 is the correct OE size.

I had the largest option of the various AG's on their site. Like I said, I am not a newbie on Li batteries...the F-type S AWD 2016 brain and that battery seemed to bicker...and the dealer, while not getting into specifics, said my situation was not new to them (third or forth tow in). Thank goodness they gave me a battery for free (an interstate btw that is doing just fine) that a full _recovery/repair or whatever the Ctek agm smart charger does seems to have made it "good as new."

It was part of a weight saving plan..

What I'd like to do is see if there is a smaller battery option in the AGM space....I don't use restart....

Old 12-14-2022, 08:25 AM

I had the largest option of the various AG's on their site. Like I said, I am not a newbie on Li batteries...the F-type S AWD 2016 brain and that battery seemed to bicker...and the dealer, while not getting into specifics, said my situation was not new to them (third or forth tow in). Thank goodness they gave me a battery for free (an interstate btw that is doing just fine) that a full _recovery/repair or whatever the Ctek agm smart charger does seems to have made it "good as new."

It was part of a weight saving plan..

What I'd like to do is see if there is a smaller battery option in the AGM space....I don't use restart....
What voltage did you see with a voltmeter across the batt terminals during engine operation?

Old 12-14-2022, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bierry
What voltage did you see with a voltmeter across the batt terminals during engine operation?
I don't remember. Maybe mid 12's.

The current interstate - 14.4 seems common. 13.2 if it has sat for a week or two. Cannot remember a 12 ever.

No other changes....just via a radar detector hardwired into the car... The AG just was not the same. Maybe I got a dud but AG said no and ctek's charger gadget was seemingly happy with it.

After getting towed, gave up on it. And yes, I tried to use restart...it was as if the car could not charge the battery by AG.

jb

Old 12-14-2022, 11:19 AM

I don't remember. Maybe mid 12's.

The current interstate - 14.4 seems common. 13.2 if it has sat for a week or two. Cannot remember a 12 ever.

No other changes....just via a radar detector hardwired into the car... The AG just was not the same. Maybe I got a dud but AG said no and ctek's charger gadget was seemingly happy with it.

After getting towed, gave up on it. And yes, I tried to use restart...it was as if the car could not charge the battery by AG.

jb
Am Holding off on disposing the factory batt until I have had time to observe then!

Old 04-17-2023, 11:42 AM

Providing an update for others that might consider Anti-Gravity Batteries, and seeing if anyone else has had any similar issues...
So I installed my AG battery in June (2022) of last year, and my update from July (2022) might have been on point at the time, but as the summer and fall wore on, I noticed a trend. I drive the car in the summer almost every day, yet my battery started giving me low voltage signals, having to use the AG supplied key fob to wake the battery up on more than one occasion, and initially the battery would have enough juice to fire up the car, but eventually I could only use the key fob to access my trunk so I could either get a jump pack onto the battery or my battery tender on it. It's as if the battery was not being charged by the car's charging system. I conceded and simply made a habit of plugging my car that I drive daily into the battery tender every night, and for the rest of the summer and fall I had no issues.

Then in October (2022) my car went into winter storage, a climate controlled storage site, that agreed to have me plug in my battery tender. Fast forward to a week or so ago, when I went to pickup my car, and I notice that there was an error on my battery tender. Battery had fallen asleep and I thought again I would simply jump start it, or get the tender to charge it up... Except while the battery was plugged in it didn't want to accept a charge, or be boosted. Luckily I kept my old AGM battery which I had dropped off at the storage site, did a battery swap back to my old AGM, and car started right up, and has been functioning with no issues since then.

I'm curious has anyone else been experiencing similar issues? I've read other posts that talk about similar issues with AG Batteries or Lithium Batteries, but in one of them I noticed someone rectified the issue by simply doing a battery reset service (not sure my OBD II scanner has this function)?

Called AG and they said that I would have to send the battery back for service/ warranty, and they would simply check it, before I spend money on having it shipped and checked, I want to know if I'm missing something. I charged the AG battery sitting on my work bench, and did a repair service (specific to Lithium Batteries), and a week later the battery is still sitting at 13+Volts with no draw. For reference my AGM battery currently installed in my car is showing 14+V with car on, and an amp draw of 0.51mA with car on. 12+V with car off, and an amp draw of 0.41mA with the car off.

Very surprising that the AG Battery hasn't gone to sleep or lost any charge, but it has been incredibly frustrating that the battery wouldn't receive a charge from the factory charging system. Any thoughts? Input?

The following users liked this post:
DeviLSh (04-23-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure I completely understand your situation but here’s what I understand about lithium batteries as a starter battery in a car. Modern cars have “smart”alternators that shut off or reduce its charge when it thinks the battery is charged and lithium batteries because of its different parameters ends not getting fully charged as a drop in replacement. I had a 60ah AG battery in the f type and would keep it on a CTek charger when not in use and I drove it daily. I installed a charger panel on the back trunk area and posted it on here.

You can either put it on a charger or you could have a DC to DC charger installed. Basically it connects to your alternator and battery and regulates the charging. Renogy, victron, redarc and a bunch of other manufacturers have something similar. Many overlanders and RV rigs have this when they add a lithium battery as a secondary battery their starter.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Perhaps you’re aware of this but if the battery falls below a certain voltage, even the CTEK won’t revive it, it will need to be put on an actual lithium charger, not a maintainer which sounds like what you did. Once revived, it should be kept on the CTEK regularly.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-17-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Perhaps you’re aware of this but if the battery falls below a certain voltage, even the CTEK won’t revive it, it will need to be put on an actual lithium charger, not a maintainer which sounds like what you did. Once revised, it should be kept on the CTEK regularly.
This. The battery maintainers need to detect something like 5V present before they switch to charging. A lead-acid battery at 5V is figuratively a boat anchor, but I assume an automotive Lithium battery could be completely discharged without damage. Someone reported their jump pack also needed some minimal voltage before it would work.

In the early days of this forum, we debated whether the F-type charging system really keeps the lead-acid battery at 100%, as it didn’t seem like it did. Don’t think we reached any conclusion.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:13 PM

Providing an update for others that might consider Anti-Gravity Batteries, and seeing if anyone else has had any similar issues...
So I installed my AG battery in June (2022) of last year, and my update from July (2022) might have been on point at the time, but as the summer and fall wore on, I noticed a trend. I drive the car in the summer almost every day, yet my battery started giving me low voltage signals, having to use the AG supplied key fob to wake the battery up on more than one occasion, and initially the battery would have enough juice to fire up the car, but eventually I could only use the key fob to access my trunk so I could either get a jump pack onto the battery or my battery tender on it. It's as if the battery was not being charged by the car's charging system. I conceded and simply made a habit of plugging my car that I drive daily into the battery tender every night, and for the rest of the summer and fall I had no issues.

Then in October (2022) my car went into winter storage, a climate controlled storage site, that agreed to have me plug in my battery tender. Fast forward to a week or so ago, when I went to pickup my car, and I notice that there was an error on my battery tender. Battery had fallen asleep and I thought again I would simply jump start it, or get the tender to charge it up... Except while the battery was plugged in it didn't want to accept a charge, or be boosted. Luckily I kept my old AGM battery which I had dropped off at the storage site, did a battery swap back to my old AGM, and car started right up, and has been functioning with no issues since then.

I'm curious has anyone else been experiencing similar issues? I've read other posts that talk about similar issues with AG Batteries or Lithium Batteries, but in one of them I noticed someone rectified the issue by simply doing a battery reset service (not sure my OBD II scanner has this function)?

Called AG and they said that I would have to send the battery back for service/ warranty, and they would simply check it, before I spend money on having it shipped and checked, I want to know if I'm missing something. I charged the AG battery sitting on my work bench, and did a repair service (specific to Lithium Batteries), and a week later the battery is still sitting at 13+Volts with no draw. For reference my AGM battery currently installed in my car is showing 14+V with car on, and an amp draw of 0.51mA with car on. 12+V with car off, and an amp draw of 0.41mA with the car off.

Very surprising that the AG Battery hasn't gone to sleep or lost any charge, but it has been incredibly frustrating that the battery wouldn't receive a charge from the factory charging system. Any thoughts? Input?
Sorry to hear about your AG battery fault. As a data point for you, the Antigravity H8 - 60Ah I installed on my F Type R in Dec 2022 has been working well. I'm in the NYC area so it has seen subfreezing days and I only drive the car on weekends at most, or once every 2-3 weeks. Per AG's Lithium battery tracker, the battery charges properly from the alternator at ~14.x v. During a recent 12 day period of storage, voltage dropped from 13.43v to 13.24v / or still over 90% charged per the battery tracker app.

The car has always started right up, with the Cranking Voltage in the 10.x v (last reading at 10.79v) which is above the 9.3v AG says is normal cranking voltage.

Also, auto-start-stop is now operational again with the AG, whereas it stopped working for months with the factory AGM.

Last edited by Bierry; 04-17-2023 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bierry:
DeviLSh (04-23-2023), WayneB (04-17-2023)