F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like new or refurbished wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Like new or refurbished wheels?

Has anyone purchased from originalwheels or factorywheelwarehouse?

Any positives on any others?

I think I'm going to get a set of storms (yes, another different set lol..). Lots of good reviews on both.

In other industries "like new" is code for "new that we are not allowed to say is new in print". Both places sell for 450ish per wheel..

Thanks!

-Mike

Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir

I think I'm going to get a set of storms (yes, another different set lol..). Lots of good reviews on both.

In other industries "like new" is code for "new that we are not allowed to say is new in print". Both places sell for 450ish per wheel..

Thanks!

-Mike
That price seems awfully low. Several forum members have purchased from Midwest wheel and tire who I think had them for $699.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

In the UK like new doesn't mean new. It means we've done such a good job you can't tell it isn't straight from factory

Old 03-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Are those prices with tyres?

Have you asked for a quote from your favourite main dealer for a full set? Alloy wheels have a huge margin for negotiation. I replaced two of the forged / black storm wheels on the driver side of mine at the dealer for just shy of £600 for both fitted or $730 US at present exchange rates (which is about 40% off retail). That's only $365 a wheel although the front was actually more expensive and the rear was less. I was going to refurb them but buying new was cheaper.

The cast silver storms would be considerably cheaper as they only retail for £280 each so you should be able to buy them in the UK for £200. If you wanted to paint them (you often see them aftermarket painted anthracite grey or gloss black) then that would be the way to go unless you really wanted forged.

I know prices in the US are slightly higher to account for duty, shipping, etc, but if those are alloy-only prices then you might find it cheaper to import from a UK dealer. Get a couple of sets on a pallet (by sea - cheap, or by air if needed urgently for quite a bit more) and then sell the spares on! (Bear in mind my UK prices above include 20% VAT, which you would not pay, but exclude any US sales taxes.)

Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
That price seems awfully low. Several forum members have purchased from Midwest wheel and tire who I think had them for $699.
That is their list price. They will negotiate.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Thanks Dave,

Good idea about checking the dealer. They've been pretty good on other things.

Spent 2 years in the U.K. Miss a lot.. but don't miss VAT!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks!

-Mike
I got some "like new" from a dealer on Ebay one time that were egg-shaped, They looked awesome, but couldn't be balanced. The ***-wipe wouldn't take them back because "I had mounted tires on them." Just be sure of the return policy.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks!

-Mike
pm me on factortywheelwarehousr

Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Sent pm. Thanks!

-Mike

Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati

Midwest Tire and Wheel listed price for Storm wheels is $1199 per wheel, though they will negotiate for substantially less. BEWARE: Midwest sells "refurbished" wheels, and though they sent me a set of 4 Storm wheels for $2,400 total, the workmanship was such a disaster, I sent them back for a refund. One wheel looked like it had been hammered multiple times by a ball-peen hammer, and the masking on the black paint was horrible.

On another note: Can anybody discern with absolute positive identification what the difference is between all these Storm part numbers:

Storm T2R10299 front / T2R10300 rear -
Storm T2R9909 front / T2R9910 rear -
Storm 59912 front / 59919 rear -

I have seen all of these sets of numbers described in various places as Black/polished, Black/silver, machined black, or just plain black.
Can't seem to get a consensus or definitive description that clearly identifies the differences between these sets of numbers.

I've also found many online sources use the same stock photos, regardless of the part number listed, so pictures are deceiving.

Some pictures clearly show Gloss Black windows with machined face, others show a Satin Black window with a machined face,
still others look to be anthracite grey instead of black.

The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks!

-Mike
Originally Posted by IronMike
Midwest Tire and Wheel listed price for Storm wheels is $1199 per wheel, though they will negotiate for substantially less. BEWARE: Midwest sells "refurbished" wheels, and though they sent me a set of 4 Storm wheels for $2,400 total, the workmanship was such a disaster, I sent them back for a refund. One wheel looked like it had been hammered multiple times by a ball-peen hammer, and the masking on the black paint was horrible.

On another note: Can anybody discern with absolute positive identification what the difference is between all these Storm part numbers:

Storm T2R10299 front / T2R10300 rear -
Storm T2R9909 front / T2R9910 rear -
Storm 59912 front / 59919 rear -

I have seen all of these sets of numbers described in various places as Black/polished, Black/silver, machined black, or just plain black.
Can't seem to get a consensus or definitive description that clearly identifies the differences between these sets of numbers.

I've also found many online sources use the same stock photos, regardless of the part number listed, so pictures are deceiving.

Some pictures clearly show Gloss Black windows with machined face, others show a Satin Black window with a machined face,
still others look to be anthracite grey instead of black.
T2r9909 T2r9910 wheels

Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

The OEM Storms are:
T2R10299, satin black with diamond cut face, forged (front)
T2R10299, satin black with diamond cut face, forged (rear)
T2R9909, silver/grey, cast (front)
T2R9910, silver/grey, cast (rear)
T2R18453, Santorini black, forged (front)
T2R18454, Santorini black, forged (rear)

59912/59919 are not Jaguar part numbers so I am unsure what they are?

The satin black forged are the standard option on the R model when CCB are specified. Visually you lose the bulk of the wheel behind the cut highlights so they are quite subtle.

Stwsam has provided a great picture of the cast wheels. They really emphasise the shape of the wheel in flat colours.

The Santorini black forged were offered on the SVR model and are more of a glossy black from press photos I found on Google.

AFAIK all other combinations are aftermarket painted. I saw a set of anthracite Storms with a diamond cut face on a dark grey V6S which looked fantastic (similar to the way the Mataivas are finished on the XJ). You could see the snowflake shape and the highlights without one being dominant.

Many T2R18453/T2R18454 from aftermarket sources will be repainted T2R9909/T2R9910 because the former are about 4 times the price. If in doubt as to the original wheel phone your dealer with the WERS number stamped on the wheel and ask them to confirm which one it is.

Last edited by xdave; 03-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanks a bunch for the extra information Dave.

The 59912/59919 are SKUs that are on the refurb sites. Maybe a US SKU? Maybe a aftermarket SKU?

I'm going to call the dealer today and see what they say.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
59912/59919 are not Jaguar part numbers so I am unsure what they are?
Those are the Midwest Wheel & Tire numbers for T2R10299/ T2R10300.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

So this storm wheel which is clearly a High Gloss Black with a machined face is what? repainted?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

That wheel does not look like it has a cut face to me, it looks gloss black throughout. The highlights look like reflections.

The only gloss black OEM wheels are the Santorini black forged wheels offered with the P7 (T2R18453/4). If it is not one of those, it has been painted.