F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of 'special requests' available for VAP ECU tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default List of 'special requests' available for VAP ECU tune?

Wife got me a VAP tune for my '16 R for Christmas. I've had it mostly stock (just Mina filters) for a few years now and I'm looking forward to unlocking a bit more power. I know Chris at VAP is on vacation for another week or so, and will probably have a stack of things to respond to. I did send in an email for when he gets back, but I'm excited and like to over-think these things. lol Has anyone received a list recently of what special requests or options are available with the ECU tune? The instruction sheet mentions a couple examples, but I'd love to find a list somewhere of what options they have available right now to give it some thought while I wait...

Old 12-29-2022, 03:17 PM
Received 397 Likes on 178 Posts

There are several things you can ask for off the bat, but a lot of it will depend on now and in the future your plans. You can have them permanently disabled the auto start/stop for instance. You can have them create a pops and bang tune, versus one without as well. I will tell you the pops and bang tune is great at first, but gets old really quick as it will not stop the overruns until under 2k rpm. It is cool to try it, but I quickly removed that.

Then as you get into higher stages, you can have adjustments (depending on V6 vs V8) for things like E40, E85. With their TCU tune, you can request different redline shift points within their safe range. As for other modifications, they will take into account things like high flow cat, high flow exhausts and can adjust accordingly, but there is still limitations on what other options are offered beyond that.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I asked about adding a pulley at a later time, so he put together a version of the tune that would work with the overdrive lower pulley but also be compatible with the stock one. Since there's room for a number of tunes on the device I had him set up one for 91AKI fuel (best I can get locally) and another for 96AKI (available at the pump at the closest track, Sonoma Raceway). I've yet to try the 96 tune or try the F-Type at Sonoma :/

Some of the early tunes had an area of overly sensitive throttle so I got an update to clean that up and at the same time he added separate versions that disabled eco start/stop. I didn't ask, but he did it anyway since there was plenty of space available.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:54 PM

I've heard some F's with the enhanced pops and bangs tune (or an enhanced tune, not sure if it was VAP), and I didn't care for it. The crackles JLR programmed in sound natural and organic, and the aftermarket tune I've heard made them sound almost rhythmic, to the point it was clear that they were artificial. Honestly I'm happy with the snappiness of the throttle in Dynamic mode too, sometimes (very rarely) I actually find it a bit too aggressive. So I might just get the generic tune and leave everything else alone. My SmartTop already disables Stop/Start, so I really don't know what else my options are. I just wasn't sure if there were any cool things I wasn't aware of, like having the car default to Dynamic on startup, or reducing some of the torque limits in the lower gears. There's a few E85 pumps near me so if that tune is ready I might go that route...

The following users liked this post:
schuss (01-02-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 07:11 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

The e85 tune is currently only available on the V6.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:48 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

After Stg 2, I noticed the throttle became more jumpy (like when in Dynamic throttle) and asked VAP if throttle sensitivity was modified as part of the tune. Chris explained he doesn't change that, what I was perceiving was simply more boost now being available and commanded due to Stg 2, and went further to send me a modified file with a slightly longer throttle ramp-up to smooth out the jumpiness. I've been using this since - and really appreciate Chris took the time to do this ad-hoc for a single customer. Have been thrilled with Stg 2, and now their TCU tune as well which was just installed yesterday and makes a demonstrable difference.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bierry
After Stg 2, I noticed the throttle became more jumpy (like when in Dynamic throttle) and asked VAP if throttle sensitivity was modified as part of the tune. Chris explained he doesn't change that, what I was perceiving was simply more boost now being available and commanded due to Stg 2, and went further to send me a modified file with a slightly longer throttle ramp-up to smooth out the jumpiness. I've been using this since - and really appreciate Chris took the time to do this ad-hoc for a single customer. Have been thrilled with Stg 2, and now their TCU tune as well which was just installed yesterday and makes a demonstrable difference.
That's great to hear. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-31-2022, 09:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can one request the top speed limiter be removed?

Old 12-31-2022, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by rrstl3
Can one request the top speed limiter be removed?
Yep, that is a standard part of all/most tunes anyway, I know it was with my tunes from around five years ago, so my guess is you would have to ask VAP not to include it otherwise you get it.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that is a standard part of all/most tunes anyway, I know it was with my tunes from around five years ago, so my guess is you would have to ask VAP not to include it otherwise you get it.

Great info. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by rrstl3
Great info. Thank you.
I forgot to add the VAP tunes also remove the Park and Neutral 4,000 rpm rev limiter so you can blip it all the way to 7,000 rpm if you want.
But probably not a good idea to do it a lot!

Old 01-01-2023, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I forgot to add the VAP tunes also remove the Park and Neutral 4,000 rpm rev limiter so you can blip it all the way to 7,000 rpm if you want.
But probably not a good idea to do it a lot!
More great info. It seems as you are a wealth of information and have answered this question and others I’ve had on different topics. I wish I could find someone local (Reno, Nevada). I can’t even find a decent independent shop here.

I appreciate your help as always.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:46 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I asked about adding a pulley at a later time, so he put together a version of the tune that would work with the overdrive lower pulley but also be compatible with the stock one. Since there's room for a number of tunes on the device I had him set up one for 91AKI fuel (best I can get locally) and another for 96AKI (available at the pump at the closest track, Sonoma Raceway). I've yet to try the 96 tune or try the F-Type at Sonoma :/

Some of the early tunes had an area of overly sensitive throttle so I got an update to clean that up and at the same time he added separate versions that disabled eco start/stop. I didn't ask, but he did it anyway since there was plenty of space available.
I asked a couple years ago about the 91 tune and the response was that there is no separate tune. Timing is just pulled. I wonder what the real answer is since looks like they gave you a specific 91 and 96 tune.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I asked a couple years ago about the 91 tune and the response was that there is no separate tune. Timing is just pulled. I wonder what the real answer is since looks like they gave you a specific 91 and 96 tune.
I did indeed get separate files for 91 and 96 AKI. I didn't ask for too many details but my understanding is that he 91 AKI file is essentially the stock file optimized and set up for more boost pressure, while the 96 AKI has additional work on the timing. As noted, I haven't tried the 96 file yet. It's certainly possible that they've improved on the tuning since 2016. I did get an update in 2017 to smooth the throttle response. I asked about this after seeing mention of it here.