F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen to the car or the dealer when scheduling service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Listen to the car or the dealer when scheduling service?

I got an automatically generated "time for service" email from my dealer, but I get correspondences from them randomly, while the car has seemed pretty consistent in "knowing" when it's time based on mileage and internal clock, on an annual basis. I've a recall of some form, anyway, so I'll likely just head in. But I am also sure we're responsible for tracking our services, but as I was doing that was caught off guard that my car wanted to be serviced a few thousand miles earlier than I thought I would need to, so I'm now erring on the side of the car vs me... so just wondering.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:55 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think you can rely entirely on the car's countdown but it should be more reliable than a dealer (I've heard all sorts of incorrect service interval info from dealers).

If you want to keep things clean towards JLR or a warranty company the most important thing is that you don't exceed the max time (12 months since last service) and mileage prescribed by JLR, although someone said that it's ok to do the service up to 30 days after the 12 month deadline.

Don't know if you guys in the US use JLR's Online Service History but in my case it's all in there and shows exactly when the car needs to be serviced based on when it was last serviced.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently purchased a 2018 F-Type R on August 7, 2021 from CarMax. Within a day or two of acquiring it, I began seeing messages that service would be required in 350 miles. I had always planned on bringing the car into my local Jag dealer for a once over inspection to assure myself that all was as well as it seemed on the car. I called to make an appointment a few days after it was mine and was told that the soonest date that they could take me was August 31st if I wanted a loaner (which I did).

When I arrived and the service advisor looked up the cars history he informed me that it had been purchased and put into service on July 17th 2018 and therefore was past the 30 days grace window and that I would be responsible for paying for the service. After a brief discussion and explanation, he said he would see what he could do about it. I didn't say it, but I had no intention of paying their prices to do an oil change on a car that I could do myself. In the end, they were able to accommodate me and perform the service. Next year I will start calling in late May early June to get the appointment so that I don't get caught in the anniversary date issue.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Unfortunately, you can't really rely on the dealer OR the car to keep track. My experience has been that the car is pretty good - assuming that the dealer properly resets the service flag when they do the work. Otherwise, you'll get a warning well before the next service is due. I've had the dealer forget a couple of times on my cars, and numerous posts on the forum show that has happened to others. Meanwhile, you can reasonably rely on the dealer to send you a postcard when their boat payment is due (homage to Tom & Ray). I've received a number of postcard in the mail to remind me that I should come in to shocks and/or brakes on cars with under 20k miles on them (and they know the mileage as of my last visit). I didn't get proactive notices for annual service while I was still under warranty, but I have gotten notices that the F-Type is overdue for it's "Factory Required" annual service now that it's out of warranty and I'm doing most of my own work.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Service

I’m not sure if things have gotten worse lately. I used to be able to bring my car (E Pace) in for its annual service and wait for it. For anything else, loaners were available. Now I bring it in on the day of my appointment and they tell me they will get to it during the week, hopefully within 2 to 3 days. Now I make sure I will not need the car for a little while when I schedule an appointment. Living in NYC makes this easy. Of course now also having the F type helps too. (I have it serviced on Long Island and take the train back)

Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

ALL our cars with oil life/maintenance minders eventually go 'off kilter'.

Especially, if you are like me, willing to CHECK things rather than do them blindly when a schedule says.

I keep a written logbook of services performed in my glovebox.

So, this is a X2 for @uncheel

Unfortunately, you can't really rely on the dealer OR the car to keep track.

+++++++++++

I WILL say that when I purchase a used car, I do ALL maintenance required up to that time. "Trust, but Verify"