F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little love note to Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A little love note to Jaguar

Thought I would share with you all my little love note to Jaguar on their navigation system and their support of said system.

Worth a giggle but I doubt I will get any response form them..........I would love to send it to the big boss of Jag though.

"Jaguar-F-Type-Gen2.1-HDD-Europe-2017 is currently available.

When will you be pulling the finger out of the posterior and selling the 2018 update?

It is bad enough that a simple phone manufacture can do a better job of navigation than you can.... you cant even keep the updates coming regular even though your charging a fortune for them akin to highway robbery. (Phone manufactures give away updates for free with their premium products)

The F type is on average a £80k car your shoddy and woefully inadequate system is a immense disappointment for a a car that cost a serious amount of money.

The biggest joke is that other manufactures are putting Apple and Android in to "value" end cars before you have even figured out how to use it.
Even as I type this message your spelling correction is utter rubbish and I am using google to check as your code on this website can't perform to the same standard!

You need to seriously concentrate on building cars and leave the computer stuff to others.

Regards
John"

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Not defending Jaguar as a company here by any means; they have many many problems that are largely due to a lack of caring/oversight.

That being said, I don’t think you understand the fundamentals of software development at a car manufacturer. Jaguar themselves don’t actually develope the software, they just provide the requirements and validate. You might say: “Well why don’t they provide the right requirements then?”. It’s a lot more complicated than that, the software has to work seemlessly with all the other modules/software in the vehicle, and often times something cannot be updated in the radio because another part of the car is limiting it or needs to be changed in accordance. These things all need to be coordinated and validated multiple times before they can be released, and validation time can take months.

Lastly; sales volume. You can’t expect a car to be like your phone. A phone’s average life cycle is 2 years where as a car’s is 10-15, and there are much fewer options for phones than there is for cars. Jaguar’s sales volume is tiny compared to a lot of other OEMs with better systems; they simply can’t afford the development costs and vehicle properties other OEMs use to develop better systems. It’s a severe disadvantage and their product offerings will suffer as a result.

Just some food for thought on radios. The public has demanded they be more and more complex, expecting the radio to be alike to their phone/tablet, but not willing to pay for it. As a result pretty much every radio any car manufacturer offers is buggy/disappointing in some respect.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I do not know why you are picking on JLR. I have used a lot of automotive navigation systems and none of them measure up to what is available via Google, etc. Moreover, the software updates are managed by another company that does the updates for almost every car system; they own the mapping database. These updates have always lagged what you can find through Google. I do agree that they charge an exorbitant fee for the updates, especially considering that once you buy a Garmin device the updates(quarterly) are free for the life of the product.
I like the integrated look and feel of a car nav system, but I do not do updates anymore. In my truck, which I use to pull a camper, I use a Garmin RV device, not even bothering to have a built-in Nav. So many people use smart phones with unlimited data that it is a wonder that cars even have proprietary Nav systems anymore.
Larry

Old 04-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

[QUOTE=lsbrodsky;1876412} In my truck, which I use to pull a camper, I use a Garmin RV device, not even bothering to have a built-in Nav. So many people use smart phones with unlimited data that it is a wonder that cars even have proprietary Nav systems anymore.
Larry[/QUOTE]

Ditto; If it didn't come bundled with a bunch of other stuff there is no way I'd order NAV on any new car.....and it's not just Jag; I was driving my 2017 MB the other day and ended up shutting it off and using my Android phone instead. All kinds of people whining on the MB forum about the Mercedes system too.

Dave

Old 04-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Not defending Jaguar as a company here by any means; they have many many problems that are largely due to a lack of caring/oversight.

That being said, I don’t think you understand the fundamentals of software development at a car manufacturer. Jaguar themselves don’t actually develope the software, they just provide the requirements and validate. You might say: “Well why don’t they provide the right requirements then?”. It’s a lot more complicated than that, the software has to work seemlessly with all the other modules/software in the vehicle, and often times something cannot be updated in the radio because another part of the car is limiting it or needs to be changed in accordance. These things all need to be coordinated and validated multiple times before they can be released, and validation time can take months.

Lastly; sales volume. You can’t expect a car to be like your phone. A phone’s average life cycle is 2 years where as a car’s is 10-15, and there are much fewer options for phones than there is for cars. Jaguar’s sales volume is tiny compared to a lot of other OEMs with better systems; they simply can’t afford the development costs and vehicle properties other OEMs use to develop better systems. It’s a severe disadvantage and their product offerings will suffer as a result.

Just some food for thought on radios. The public has demanded they be more and more complex, expecting the radio to be alike to their phone/tablet, but not willing to pay for it. As a result pretty much every radio any car manufacturer offers is buggy/disappointing in some respect.
Just a quick note on this, Jaguar was based on Tizen OS at one time, until the move to QNX, JLR also did a lot of in house development for their Infotainment as they were, up until recently, very active on github and also do contributions to many opensource projects. Knowing how the IAM Module is built for the car, they really could open this up and allow user configuration, along with making this WAY better since it is basically HTML they are presenting to the user.

JLR did a shitty job here, on top of that they provide no basic user serviceable updates, or even consistent updates to the infotainment system... My 2013 Ford was getting updates once a quarter, that I could download and install, for functionality and bug fixes, with readable changes, JLR says 'sorry we broke the app, but sometimes thing happen and we try and fix them'. JLR would not accept this from a 3rd party for a manufactured part, so why should we?

Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The episode that drove me up a wall was when I updated the maps in the MB. The update is $60, but you can't install it because you don't have the key. The dealer has the key and wants two hours of labor to install the update. Larceny.

But, Stolen, if the vehicle manufacturer does not develop the software, but rather specs it and purchases it from a third party, isn't the volume of the vehicle manufacturer irrelevant to the quality of the software. It is just what is spec'd. As the OP points out F's are expensive cars to start with and if there is a another $$$ for better software, who cares. I am more inclined to believe that JLR because of the low volume doesn't have the staff to write the correct specs and that may be coupled with a mindset that does not value tech and convenience features as much as other marques. You may recall my irritation on not having a home link. Although I must admit I had some schadenfreude when I saw a six figure R that had the home link listed as an option at $150. Why ask six figures for a car and then display your pettiness by charging extra for such a piddling item.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Suaro
But, Stolen, if the vehicle manufacturer does not develop the software, but rather specs it and purchases it from a third party, isn't the volume of the vehicle manufacturer irrelevant to the quality of the software. It is just what is spec'd. As the OP points out F's are expensive cars to start with and if there is a another $$$ for better software, who cares. I am more inclined to believe that JLR because of the low volume doesn't have the staff to write the correct specs and that may be coupled with a mindset that does not value tech and convenience features as much as other marques. You may recall my irritation on not having a home link. Although I must admit I had some schadenfreude when I saw a six figure R that had the home link listed as an option at $150. Why ask six figures for a car and then display your pettiness by charging extra for such a piddling item.
Think of it this way.... JLR doesn't have a huge sales volume, so the supplier they choose to develop the software is only going to invest so much in resources/manpower because they're only making a small amount of money off JLR. I obviously don't know all the inner-workings of JLR's corporate structure, but I'd bet its a combination of this and a desire to keep the vehicles priced competitively. Now a lack of the "tech mindset" could certainly be a factor as well, and they could be terrible at spec writing, but that's really not that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I thought the software we were discussing was used by various marques and only the GIF changed. For example most of the nav systems circle back to Tom-Tom eventually, and so the development costs are not only borne by JLR's sales volume which has increased very significantly in recent years but by a whole segment of the industry. I don't think price competition is a deciding factor when you are dealing with 150K Autobiographies, 125K SVRs, and 80K wagons. I think the likely explanation for the tech situation and options policy is that less than stellar decisions were made by less than stellar individuals who don't see a need to buy the gold edition, but thought the silver version was good enough. I can not think up any explanation what so ever for the home link decision.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Then just install CarPlay and AndroidPlay hardware and leave it to the handset manufacturers ;-)

Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Suaro
I thought the software we were discussing was used by various marques and only the GIF changed. For example most of the nav systems circle back to Tom-Tom eventually, and so the development costs are not only borne by JLR's sales volume which has increased very significantly in recent years but by a whole segment of the industry. I don't think price competition is a deciding factor when you are dealing with 150K Autobiographies, 125K SVRs, and 80K wagons. I think the likely explanation for the tech situation and options policy is that less than stellar decisions were made by less than stellar individuals who don't see a need to buy the gold edition, but thought the silver version was good enough. I can not think up any explanation what so ever for the home link decision.
No no, certainly not. Ever OEM has their own unique radio software that even at its core will only work with that OEM's electrical architecture.

Price competition may not be a considering factor on some specific JLR models, but since everything they sell uses the same basic software/hardware combinations; it matters a ton on the higher volume, lower cost models.

The home link I have no explanation for. I agree that's stupid.