F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaner Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner Vehicle

Hey guys, first time posting. I took my F-Type V6S in for 30k service. I had them do about $1k in out of pocket work, and then they found a couple warranty repairs totaling an additional $2k. I’ve been without my car for 3 days so far, and when I scheduled the appointment I requested a loaner two weeks ahead of time.

I was given a stained interior, red (god awful color, I prefer neutral colors) Discovery. I get that a car is a car but I dropped off a $100k+ car and expected at least a similar vehicle type and not a slow, ugly soccer mom SUV.

I took it and it has sat in my driveway, has anyone had an experience where the loaner is very below expectation?

I’m used to Audi dealerships. Anytime I brought my S5 in, I would usually be given an A5 which was more than okay, as it’s basically the same car. I was at least expecting another Jaguar (xf,xe)

Top Answer

08-20-2020, 06:39 PM
JgaXkr
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MVD87
Hey guys, first time posting. I took my F-Type V6S in for 30k service. I had them do about $1k in out of pocket work, and then they found a couple warranty repairs totaling an additional $2k. I’ve been without my car for 3 days so far, and when I scheduled the appointment I requested a loaner two weeks ahead of time.

I was given a stained interior, red (god awful color, I prefer neutral colors) Discovery. I get that a car is a car but I dropped off a $100k+ car and expected at least a similar vehicle type and not a slow, ugly soccer mom SUV.

I took it and it has sat in my driveway, has anyone had an experience where the loaner is very below expectation?

I’m used to Audi dealerships. Anytime I brought my S5 in, I would usually be given an A5 which was more than okay, as it’s basically the same car. I was at least expecting another Jaguar (xf,xe)
What is your expectation? They provided you with a courtesy car not a replacement car. It is a courtesy they offer. I had no idea a 30k mile V6S was worth $100k. You should be happy you have something to drive & be a little more realistic. Just my opinion.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds typical. My Jaguar dealer gave me a Discovery Sport last time. The Audi dealer I used to go to when I had an S6 would either give me an A4 or a Q5.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Yeah, over here marques like BMW use the loaner as a way to get you keen on an upgrade but Jag tends to give you either a base XE or XF (which I dont mind as they are nice to drive) or a disco (liveable) or evoque (not my cuppa at all). Last time I had my car in they offered the evoque but it had like a $5,000 insurance excess and I declined it on the basis that if I had to pay $5,000 as a consequence of driving an evoque I'd never forgive myself.

But what they should be doing is giving me an iPace as I'd not only possibly buy one (well not really likely at all) but I'd at least yak about it which would be good.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

What is your expectation? They provided you with a courtesy car not a replacement car. It is a courtesy they offer. I had no idea a 30k mile V6S was worth $100k. You should be happy you have something to drive & be a little more realistic. Just my opinion.

The following 10 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
Cosshog (08-27-2020), J444G (08-27-2020), Jaaaggg (08-22-2020), JagRag (08-20-2020), maxg (08-21-2020), mmmjag (10-08-2021), Sparky H (10-09-2021), TX69XKE (10-07-2021), uncheel (08-20-2020), usgpru27 (10-10-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=MVD87;2277827]Hey guys, first time posting. I took my F-Type V6S in for 30k service. I had them do about $1k in out of pocket work, and then they found a couple warranty repairs totaling an additional $2k. I’ve been without my car for 3 days so far, and when I scheduled the appointment I requested a loaner two weeks ahead of time.

I’m used to Audi dealerships. Anytime I brought my S5 in, I would usually be given an A5 which was more than okay, as it’s basically the same car. I was at least expecting another Jaguar (xf,xe)[/QUOTE

Welcome to the jungle.
For me I am more concerned with how they treat my vehicle than what they give me for a loaner. It has always been hit or miss for me regardless of the marquis, most of the time the loaners have been of relatively comparable vehicles but I have definitely taken some downgrades over the years.

Last edited by madmax1911; 08-20-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Every loaner I've ever had has been a base model XE.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

If you have a $100k+ S at 30k miles, you should take the gold bricks out before you drop it off.

I'm fine driving a sound Jag sedan or LR for a couple of days. Anything more would be a waste of someone's money - and I'm pretty sure it would be MY money (one way or another). Considering I didn't buy any of my Jags from my servicing dealer, I feel fortunate to get any loaner, and that does more to give them a chance the next time I'm new car shopping.

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
JagRag (08-20-2020), Portlander (08-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I've had low mileage XE, Evoque, and once a RR for a month during a warranty battle. No complaints.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Funny story.... I bought my first brand new vehicle at 19 years old, a Chevy 1/2 ton, short wheelbase, 350, 5 speed manual. AC and power brake were the only options. No power windows or even power locks. Base truck.
I also bought a GM extended warranty and financed everything through GM. At the time that warranty was bumper to bumper FAILURE warranty, meaning it didn't matter what caused the failure it was covered. (GM did not keep this warranty available for very long)
Anyway being 19 and having a V8 manual, as you can imagine I was pretty hard on the driveline and it wasn't too long and the rear end was making a clunking noise.
I brought it in to the selling dealer and they were like no problem, we'll throw a new rear end under it.
They drop me off at the local Enterprise car rental to pick my rent car and this is where the fun begins. Enterprise wouldn't rent a car to a 19 year old, no matter that GM was paying for it, you had to be 21 years old.
Needless to say after several calls from the dealer to GM it was decided that they would not sell that warranty to anyone under 21 but they would honor the ones already sold.
In the end the dealer would have to give me one of their vehicles instead. So every time my truck was in for warranty work the sales manager would have to give up his dealer car to me. It was awesome, he was always driving a loaded out truck or SUV.
He would beg me to treat it with care and I mostly did, at least to the point of not damaging anything but I could definitely tell you just how fast every new model Chevy truck and SUV would run for several year models

Last edited by madmax1911; 08-21-2020 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by madmax1911:
JagRag (08-20-2020), SinF (08-24-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:19 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

If I go to the VW dealer with my GTI (next door to the Audi dealer that I used to go to and owned by the same people) they absolutely will not give me a loaner unless it's a major repair/service that requires multiple days, and even then they have so few loaner cars in their fleet that it requires a couple weeks' advance notice to reserve one.

With "luxury" brands I've never had an issue getting a loaner for a routine annual service with little advance notice. It truly is a luxury to not have to sit around in the waiting room for a couple of hours.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I needed a loaner my Jaguar dealer set me up with a Ford pick up truck from Enterprise so I don't even feel sorry for you and your Discovery loaner. Second time I got a Range Rover Evoque loaner with 400 miles on it. Most recently I got a Jaguar XE R-Sport with 649 miles on it. My dealer does not have any F Type loaners but at least I'm getting a variety of vehicles to check out. However I'd never buy either of these with a 4-cyl. engine.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Don't feel bad. When I owned a Nissan 370Z the dealer gave me a Nissan Leaf electric car for a loaner. You know, the ones that have about a 68 mile range ? I was embarrassed to be seen in it and not at all comfortable with its gutless performance and tiny size on the freeway.
Another time they gave me a Nissan Pathfinder, at least I felt like I was driving a real car.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

The "loaner" capability is at the discretion of the dealership. Some dealerships have good options in this space and some do not. For example, the scenario originally brought up with Audi. We have also had Audi's in our household for almost 20 years. The dealership in our area typically provides cheap, crappy VW's. In short, I wouldn't take the experience from one dealership as that's what happens everywhere (whether that's Jaguar, Audi, BMW, etc).

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have rarely been more excited to drive my car than when I hand over the keys to a staid rental/loaner. No offense to VW, but I was glad to return a 1.5L Volkswagen. It helped me rediscover my love for what I already have.

Plus - as F type owners, our cars are quite unique and something. If whenever I went to the dealer they had a bunch of F type loaners, it may be nice and all don't get me wrong - but it would detract from what makes them desirable - they're aren't all that many of them.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:08 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I've brought my coupe in half a dozen times and I've always requested a loaner in advance and I've NEVER gotten one.

It totally depends on your dealership.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejaag
I have rarely been more excited to drive my car than when I hand over the keys to a staid rental/loaner. No offense to VW, but I was glad to return a 1.5L Volkswagen. It helped me rediscover my love for what I already have.

Plus - as F type owners, our cars are quite unique and something. If whenever I went to the dealer they had a bunch of F type loaners, it may be nice and all don't get me wrong - but it would detract from what makes them desirable - they're aren't all that many of them.
I felt exactly the same way after I returned a 2020 F-Pace loaner I had for a week.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:23 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Loaners are completely up the the dealership. At least it wasn't like many that offer rental cars from Enterprise and you end up in a Toyota.
Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I felt exactly the same way after I returned a 2020 F-Pace loaner I had for a week.
I rather enjoy driving the wife's F Pace.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

My dealer has the loaner option on hiatus due to COVID-19. They're not doing shuttle service either. I understand and they let me know at the time I made the appointment, so I made alternate arrangements. Since I'm not even commuting at this time, I only needed to get home and back once the car was ready.

Only once did I get a loaner that was equivalent: a 400 Sport. It was kind of a novelty to just put everything in Dynamic and use just two pedals, but I was glad to gt my own back. Usually it's one of the LR line, but I've had XE, XF, Evoque, Velar, Discovery. I even had an F-Pace (The Jaggernaut) once. Never had an E-Pace or an RR Sport.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

In my long saga after I got my car I got to try out pretty much the full loaner fleet: Evoque, F-Pace, Disco, Disco Sport, feels like there was another LR in there too (I think a Velar), XJL, XE, XF, Sportbrake and I still feel like I'm forgetting one or two. No, none were anything like my car, but it was interesting to see what else they have. The person in charge of assigning the loaners always tries to find me a car instead of an SUV because she knows that's my preference. They've been very good about always having a loaner for me. If it wasn't an emergency situation I sometimes had to wait a week for an appointment to get one. Once I had the CEL come on in my loaner and they sent someone out to my house to swap out vehicles. Of course now apparently I'm famous (infamous?) and when I go in for routine stuff I'm recognized and the shop foreman comes out to say hello when I pick my car up. I'm now out of warranty - CPO ended last month - and only going while I have vouchers left, then I'll be going to an independent shop - I will miss the whole loaner set up, but that's when I guess I'll ride my bike more.

Coming from Ford (a few Mustangs) and most recently a Pontiac (that was super fun trying to find a GM dealer willing to deal with the recall stuff or things that needed a dealership - I think it was my water pump that an independent shop couldn't do because they needed a specialized tool and you couldn't buy/rent/borrow one), the whole concept of a loaner was brand new so I just appreciate the fact I don't have to coordinate rides for however long I'm without my car. Besides, one of those loaners saved me from being pulled over - just got a "might want to slow down don't ya think?" over the loudspeaker instead of blue lights in Alabama in my white XE loaner on my way to Barber.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is normal. I requested "no SUVs" on my file and after that keep getting XEs and XKs. Which is fine.

Quick Reply: Loaner Vehicle