F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Gas Cap Found For 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Locking Gas Cap Found For 2018

I debated posting this as the number of jokes about locking gas caps far exceeded the number of posts of those looking for one. I decided to post in the event that there are a few people looking for locking gas caps in the U.S. I can't take all the credit for finding this cap it was a collaborative effort.

I started seriously searching in December 2020. I purchased a locking cap for an F-Type at that time from The Fuelcap Company in the U.K. Unfortunately, it did not fit. Not even close. I ended up sending it back.

When I sent it back I also began working with Mark at The Fuelcap Company. I sent him many photos of the cap on my F-Type and the filler tube. He indicated he would send his techs out to JLR dealers in the UK to look at caps on Jaguars and Land Rovers to see what he could find. He suspected my cap was the same as one used on some Land Rovers.

Unfortunately due to the pandemic the U.K. was in lockdown, so the techs were unable to visit any dealers. Mark then contacted Stant in the U.S. Stant makes many locking gas caps. I had contacted them and inquired about one earlier, but the person I contacted could not be bothered to provide me with any help. Mark had better luck than I did.

Someone at Stant informed Mark that a Stant 10508 cap fit an F-Pace. Mark then researched and determined that the same cap would fit my F-Type.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. If you research gas caps on the Stant web-site they don't even have a listing for Jaguar let alone an F-Type. The listing for the Stant 10508 indicates it fits older Chryslers!

I thought I would check an F-Pace for myself to see how the gas cap compared to the one on my F-Type. My car was due for annual maintenance and I always get a loaner car. Last time it was an F-Pace.

I took my car in for maintenance and got my loaner. The service person informed me that due to the pandemic they had limited inventory available for loaner vehicles. He apologized profusely after giving me a brand new Honda CR-V with 300 miles on it as my loaner. I didn't really mind other than not being able to check the gas cap on an F-Pace.

I decided then to order a Stant 10508 myself and give it a try. I ordered a new one off of eBay. I got one, but surprisingly it was not new but used. It had obvious signs of use and only one key,

I tried it for fit and it fit perfectly. I ran the car in my driveway for a bit with the cap and got no CELs and had no other issues.

The Stant cap actually fits better than my original factory cap. My factory cap just tightens and stops. The Stant cap tightens and then clicks when it is tight.

I ended up returning the used cap and ordering another new one on eBay. This one turned out to actually be new. It fits perfectly. I have driven the car for about an hour so far with the new cap on. I have not gotten any CELs or had any other issues.

I am not sure what years the Stant 10508 cap will fit. My car is a May 2017 build 2018 model. I am including pictures below to help anyone who may be interested in trying one of these caps. The Stant 10508 is readily available many places and costs less than a factory replacement cap.

The next order of business is to try and devise a leash for the new cap.

Factory Cap

Filler Tube

Stant 10508

Stant 10508 Installed

The following 4 users liked this post by cpq100:
Carbuff2 (06-13-2021), Panthro (07-07-2021), Phantomf4collector (06-15-2021), uncheel (06-13-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
I debated posting this as the number of jokes about locking gas caps far exceeded the number of posts of those looking for one. I decided to post in the event that there are a few people looking for locking gas caps in the U.S. I can't take all the credit for finding this cap it was a collaborative effort.

I started seriously searching in December 2020. I purchased a locking cap for an F-Type at that time from The Fuelcap Company in the U.K. Unfortunately, it did not fit. Not even close. I ended up sending it back.

When I sent it back I also began working with Mark at The Fuelcap Company. I sent him many photos of the cap on my F-Type and the filler tube. He indicated he would send his techs out to JLR dealers in the UK to look at caps on Jaguars and Land Rovers to see what he could find. He suspected my cap was the same as one used on some Land Rovers.

Unfortunately due to the pandemic the U.K. was in lockdown, so the techs were unable to visit any dealers. Mark then contacted Stant in the U.S. Stant makes many locking gas caps. I had contacted them and inquired about one earlier, but the person I contacted could not be bothered to provide me with any help. Mark had better luck than I did.

Someone at Stant informed Mark that a Stant 10508 cap fit an F-Pace. Mark then researched and determined that the same cap would fit my F-Type.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. If you research gas caps on the Stant web-site they don't even have a listing for Jaguar let alone an F-Type. The listing for the Stant 10508 indicates it fits older Chryslers!

I thought I would check an F-Pace for myself to see how the gas cap compared to the one on my F-Type. My car was due for annual maintenance and I always get a loaner car. Last time it was an F-Pace.

I took my car in for maintenance and got my loaner. The service person informed me that due to the pandemic they had limited inventory available for loaner vehicles. He apologized profusely after giving me a brand new Honda CR-V with 300 miles on it as my loaner. I didn't really mind other than not being able to check the gas cap on an F-Pace.

I decided then to order a Stant 10508 myself and give it a try. I ordered a new one off of eBay. I got one, but surprisingly it was not new but used. It had obvious signs of use and only one key,

I tried it for fit and it fit perfectly. I ran the car in my driveway for a bit with the cap and got no CELs and had no other issues.

The Stant cap actually fits better than my original factory cap. My factory cap just tightens and stops. The Stant cap tightens and then clicks when it is tight.

I ended up returning the used cap and ordering another new one on eBay. This one turned out to actually be new. It fits perfectly. I have driven the car for about an hour so far with the new cap on. I have not gotten any CELs or had any other issues.

I am not sure what years the Stant 10508 cap will fit. My car is a May 2017 build 2018 model. I am including pictures below to help anyone who may be interested in trying one of these caps. The Stant 10508 is readily available many places and costs less than a factory replacement cap.

The next order of business is to try and devise a leash for the new cap.

Factory Cap

Filler Tube

Stant 10508

Stant 10508 Installed

Thanks for the write up, but a solution with a physical key is not ideal.

I have always wondered why locking fuel panel wasn't included and just came to accept it.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I definitely applaud the research and great write up but unless you live in an unsafe neighborhood or have enemies, is a locking gas cap really necessary?

Old 06-13-2021, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Not a personal priority for either my F-Type or F-Pace, but I appreciate the research and write-up.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

I appreciate the research, too.

Please update your response after you go through one or two tanks of gasoline, as Evaporative faults usually require several drive cycles to be displayed.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-07-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 12:20 PM

I just filled up. I have thus far gone through one tankful. No issues as of yet. I will post another update after the next tankful.

Panthro (07-07-2021)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Would this fit a 2015 FTYPE? And updates on triggering any codes?

thank you again for this write up… I cannot find any solution for a locking gas cap for my Ftype.

peace of mind that some jealous idiot will get deterred is my concern.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:18 AM

I have never had a code or any other issue with this gas cap. I am not sure if it will fit a 2015. I think the best way to find out would be to check the part numbers for the OEM gas caps. If the numbers for 2015 and 2018 are the same the cap should fit.

If the part numbers are different try this site. They helped me. Make sure you tell them you are in the US. US and UK F-Types have different caps.

Locking Non Locking Petrol Fuel Filler Caps - Diesel Fuel Tank Caps - Replacement Petrol Diesel Fuel Cap | The Fuel Cap Company (+44) 07952 384324

BlackPanther23 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:07 AM

I have never had a code or any other issue with this gas cap. I am not sure if it will fit a 2015. I think the best way to find out would be to check the part numbers for the OEM gas caps. If the numbers for 2015 and 2018 are the same the cap should fit.

If the part numbers are different try this site. They helped me. Make sure you tell them you are in the US. US and UK F-Types have different caps.

Locking Non Locking Petrol Fuel Filler Caps - Diesel Fuel Tank Caps - Replacement Petrol Diesel Fuel Cap | The Fuel Cap Company (+44) 07952 384324
thank you, I’ll check.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:10 AM

Looks like it should fit based on this dealer website.

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/...iABEgLyDvD_BwE

Old 04-04-2023, 05:53 PM

Best of luck. Post back here when you get the Stant installed and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:46 PM

Best of luck. Post back here when you get the Stant installed and let us know how it goes.
they had it in stock and It fit perfectly! Better than the stock one just like you mentioned. Thank you so much! I think we’ve solved the riddle collectively for locking gas caps for Ftypes.

The Stant/ Carquest 10508 gas cap locking gas cap fits the 2015-2018 Ftypes perfectly and potentially other model years.

I always worry about jealous ****** wanting to destroy our fun.

cpq100 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:40 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I also agree that a physical key is not ideal. However, since I rarely park my car in sketchy areas, it could be a good solution to keep the key with the car (glovebox) and only lock when you are worried.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:59 AM

The only thing I lost after doing the swap was a leash for the gas cap. I did not bother to devise a new one. I have found that the Stant fits in the slot on the fuel door designed to hold the cap while filling up.

BlackPanther23 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 08:57 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I ordered one for my 2021 F Type and will report back if there are any issues. The suggestion to keep the OEM cap in the vehicle in case the Stant cap causes a CEL or other problems to crop up is a good one.

BlackPanther23 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I also agree that a physical key is not ideal. However, since I rarely park my car in sketchy areas, it could be a good solution to keep the key with the car (glovebox) and only lock when you are worried.
you don’t even have to be in a “sketchy” area. You cut someone off accidentally, you pull up at the mall…they could do nefarious things.

peace of mind is underrated and people are evil on all levels of affluency.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I used a locking cap from new to my first smog test in CA on my 2015 R. The gas cap failed pressure test, failed smog and I went back to OEM gas cap. I wish the cover for the gas cap area locked.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 355rockit
I used a locking cap from new to my first smog test in CA on my 2015 R. The gas cap failed pressure test, failed smog and I went back to OEM gas cap. I wish the cover for the gas cap area locked.

just use the oem when you have to smog it once a year and use the locked cap the remainder of the year. Simple

Old 04-06-2023, 04:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I wish the cover for the gas cap area locked.
It does in the UK, I wonder why US regs are different?

Old 04-06-2023, 06:19 AM

Pennsylvania has emissions testing similar to smog testing. I can't say if the Stant cap would pass. Vehicles that travel under 5,000 miles a year are exempt. I am always under that mileage.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap Found For 2018