F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking wheel nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018 | 02:47 PM
|
Default Locking wheel nut

Got my new Michelins fitted the other day and the fitter pointed out I was missing the locking nut from the front right Was there at last wash so must have disappeared fairly recently (that'll teach me to not check tightness regularly).

Anyway, I bought a new set from a local automotive shop and merrily tried to fit the first one until this happened:

What you see here is half the nut on the stud, with the stud poking through the top. The top of the nut "popped" off as it turns out the stud is a lot longer than the available thread in the nut. Fortunately I was able to remove the remnants by finger tips as it was only half on the stud.

I've searched around and can't find any reference to UK retailers specifying the depth of locking nuts, so what is so special about the Jag ones (apart from being longer than usual, apparently) and any idea what I search for to get a replacement?

I'd prefer to avoid going to dealer as I'm sure they'll charge me a fortune for a replacement set!

Old 03-25-2018 | 07:00 PM

Are you putting these on with a torque wrench? Should invest in one, then you don't need to check tightness of the wheel nuts.

Not sure on length - but they are M12x1.5. Need to make sure they are coned at the end

Old 03-25-2018 | 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect if you want a new locking nut which uses the same key as the others you have no choice but to go to a dealership and be prepared to grab your ankles.
Even then they may insist on a complete new set of four.
I don't remember anyone finding after-market lock nuts for the F-Type (or any other modern Jag for that matter) with the correct M12x1.5 thread, mag seat (ie flat with a washer) and barrel length, but maybe Gorilla now make them.

Edit - these Gorilla lock nuts are meant for Toyotas but the shape and all the measurements look right for modern Jags: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gorilla-...kAAOSw3wVaXr9q
The only thing I am struggling to find is the hex of the key, but it seems they come in a range of sizes including 3/4" which is near as dammit to 19 mm so it should match the stock nuts.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-25-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2018 | 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

You do not need to go to the dealer to get a replacement lock (as in just one). Contact McGard directly (800-444-5847) and provide them with the original lock code that the dealer should have provided (10 digit number). A single lock matching your key will cost $10.49

Old 03-26-2018 | 12:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Are you putting these on with a torque wrench? Should invest in one, then you don't need to check tightness of the wheel nuts.
Only person to have touched the wheels until now has been a JLR tech, so I'll beg to differ

Old 03-26-2018 | 12:15 AM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You do not need to go to the dealer to get a replacement lock (as in just one). Contact McGard directly (800-444-5847) and provide them with the original lock code that the dealer should have provided (10 digit number). A single lock matching your key will cost $10.49
Thanks as always Unhingd, although I am laughing at the thought of being given the 10 digit code you speak of. I'll double double check my paperwork otherwise I'll be having a (probably fruitless) call with the dealer.

Old 03-26-2018 | 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Thanks as always Unhingd, although I am laughing at the thought of being given the 10 digit code you speak of. I'll double double check my paperwork otherwise I'll be having a (probably fruitless) call with the dealer.
In my case, the dealer put the displaced lug nuts in the original lock nut package, and left that in the storage compartment in the trunk. They might have left the paperwork (code card or decal) in the leather owner's manual pouch.

Check with McGard. Perhaps if you send them the key, they can decipher the code.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-26-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2018 | 08:25 AM

My locks, a Jaguar product, had a single letter code.

Old 03-26-2018 | 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
My locks, a Jaguar product, had a single letter code.
Since I was provided the original packaging, I could see that it was a Jaguar branded lock set manufactured by McGard. If your key does not have McGard stamped on it, then Jag sourced it elsewhere. If so, that may be why the locks are breaking off. I'd replace the whole set with McGard. Vehicle Application Guide
The set is available on Amazon for $20.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-26-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2018 | 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Since I was provided the original packaging, I could see that it was a Jaguar branded lock set manufactured by McGard. If your key does not have McGard stamped on it, then Jag sourced it elsewhere. If so, that may be why the locks are breaking off. I'd replace the whole set with McGard. Vehicle Application Guide
The set is available on Amazon for $20.
Hmmm.
I'm considering getting a set of four lock nuts for my wheels and this looked like a goer at a very good price.
But when I put my car details into the McGard search box I get a range of lock nuts that are all cone seat, which is wrong for all OEM Jag wheels, they should be mag seat.
I will keep exploring the McGard web site and see if I can find the correct lock nuts.

Old 03-26-2018 | 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hmmm.
I'm considering getting a set of four lock nuts for my wheels and this looked like a goer at a very good price.
But when I put my car details into the McGard search box I get a range of lock nuts that are all cone seat, which is wrong for all OEM Jag wheels, they should be mag seat.
I will keep exploring the McGard web site and see if I can find the correct lock nuts.
The part number you are looking for is McGard 20116SU.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainHam (03-29-2018)
Old 03-26-2018 | 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

The part number you are looking for is McGard 20116SU.
Thanks Lance, they sure look like the correct ones, funny how I still can't find them or anything like them on the McGard web site. Plenty on Fleabay though!
Thing is I have black Gorilla lug nuts so I want black lock nuts and it looks like McGard don't do black ones for Jags. I am exploring other options.

Old 03-28-2018 | 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
the lock nut should have a QR bar code on it. Scan this with a QR reader app and you will get the code no need to visit the $tealer.

Last edited by John-Handy; 03-28-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2018 | 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Neither the key nor the locknuts have anything more than a 5 digit part number on mine.

Old 03-28-2018 | 12:29 PM

Neither the key nor the locknuts have anything more than a 5 digit part number on mine.
Might be a UK thing then

Old 03-29-2018 | 04:46 PM
|

Originally Posted by John-Handy
the lock nut should have a QR bar code on it. Scan this with a QR reader app and you will get the code no need to visit the $tealer.

Never even noticed that before..!

Anyway, a whole new set of the type Unhingd mentioned is only 30 quid and is readily available in my local car parts store so I'll go for that tomorrow, can't be bothered to speak to McGard to get a single one sent to me, I'm too lazy for that!

Old 04-01-2018 | 12:25 PM
|

Here's a a shot of the McGard off-the-shelf replacements for anyone that is interested...they fit fine, but they're A) chrome and B) stand more proud compared to the originals. Therefore they're more conspicuous but as long as they do their job, I'll be fine with that.

Oh and yeah, my car is still filthy. I'm a bad person.