F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This long Chicago winter has me daydreaming about a spring roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014 | 08:27 PM
|
Default This long Chicago winter has me daydreaming about a spring roadtrip

Winter has already been brutal here in Chicago. We have had a bunch of snowy days (compared to hardly any at this time last year). I have only put about 20 miles on my F-type in the past 3 weeks. I have been thinking about driving her out to Massachusetts to visit family this summer and taking some shorter road trips to Wisconsin and Michigan this spring.

My plan is to have the rear muffler removed and replaced with straight pipes (keeping the resonator in place) and have them put the stock tips back on in early March. I am jealous of those who live in warm weather climates, but my business is here...so it is what it is.

Old 01-04-2014 | 09:03 PM

You will surly enjoy a trip like that. I bought mine 5 days ago and love it! I’ve only put about 80 miles on it but a nice ride. I traded in a C6 corvette vert for it. Mine is the deep blue metallic. A base model too with the switchable exhaust system and a few more options.

Let us know how your exhaust mods work out! BTW, I just looked up the temps where you are. The next few days look brutal. Keep your baby covered and warm

Old 01-04-2014 | 10:41 PM
|

Very curious...how is your switchable exhaust on the base model? Noticeable difference when activated?

I have just over 4,000 miles on my base F type and over 90% of the time I drive in Sport and Dynamic mode.

I do not have the switchable exhaust, and figure that deleting the rear mufflers will make it sound fantastic. To my knowledge, the switchable exhaust basically allows straight through flow for 50% of the exhaust gases, whereas the other 50% and funneled through the rear muffler channels. By doing a rear muffler delete, it should be very similar to the switchable exhaust, with about twice the volume I'd assume. I figure that if I want the noise level to be a bit lower once I to the muffler delete, I can always put the car into Normal drive mode instead of Sport (when I want to keep it a bit more subdued) since the engine will be kept at a lower RPM.

Old 01-04-2014 | 11:13 PM

I think you’re probably right in the assumptions. I don’t know what the alterations might do to your warrantee though.

Old 01-05-2014 | 12:37 AM
|

I believe that since the stock cats are remaining in place, there will in effect be nothing major that would not be covered, since nothing in front of the rear muffler is being modified and it only serves as sound deadening, its a 'safe' thing to do.

Old 01-05-2014 | 08:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

If you come to MA, you should make a point of returning via Rt 2/I-91 and VT-9 to get back to the NY Thruway. The stretch of VT-9 just west of Brattleboro is a hoot; I did it a week after getting the V6S this spring. After 7K miles, it's still the most fun I've had in the car.

FYI, I'm a native of SW MI and drove back there from MA this summer. The F-type is pretty comfortable for long trips, other than the glaring lack of trunk space.

Old 01-05-2014 | 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
Winter has already been brutal here in Chicago. We have had a bunch of snowy days (compared to hardly any at this time last year). I have only put about 20 miles on my F-type in the past 3 weeks. I have been thinking about driving her out to Massachusetts to visit family this summer and taking some shorter road trips to Wisconsin and Michigan this spring.

My plan is to have the rear muffler removed and replaced with straight pipes (keeping the resonator in place) and have them put the stock tips back on in early March. I am jealous of those who live in warm weather climates, but my business is here...so it is what it is.
Gotta love the snow and the -20 degrees temperatures.....

Old 01-05-2014 | 10:44 AM

What's most depressing is we are only two weeks into our long winter

Old 01-05-2014 | 11:12 AM
|

With trunk space at a minimum, it seems like a soft duffle bag and pre-packing to make sure that all of the essentials plus any room for stuff purchased during a trip is able to fit without an issue.

As for the Chicago winter, I'm really hoping the early start to it will be an early spring. These condition make you feel trapped.

Old 01-05-2014 | 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

It's a nice balmy 70+* here in the Inland Empire of SoCal. Course all of you who watched the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game know that..There's still lots of room for people to move here.......outside of that mega barrio known as L.A.