F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long trip...what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Long trip...what would you do?

Ok, my son (Thing 2 of 4) graduates from Boston University in May - that's 1,050 miles from me.

I have a new and fun car

Would you:
- drive your new car to Boston
- drive through the spring time mountains to DC and take the Amtrak to Boston
- just fly with the Mrs (who would probably not consider options 1 of 2)?

Old 12-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Why do you even have options 2 and 3?

Seriously, we drove from Toronto to Washington last May. Probably about 1000 miles each way. No commplaints about nav or seats or anything at all.

The following users liked this post:
Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 AM

Duh, that's a good question. I live in a traffic free world...the north east corridor is the opposite of my world. My blood pressure rises in traffic, so hence, option 2. Option 3 might assuage a "keep the peace" problem.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
Duh, that's a good question. I live in a traffic free world...the north east corridor is the opposite of my world. My blood pressure rises in traffic, so hence, option 2. Option 3 might assuage a "keep the peace" problem.
Drive north, stay in NJ until you are north of NYC, turn right towards CT and MA. Stay at a hotel in a western Boston suburb town and take the commuter rail in to the city.

Boston isn't so bad since they changed the rules in the traffic circle. When I lived there, cars entering the circles had the right-of-way. That counters the the laws of physics.

Your spousal issues are yours. I have enough of my own that I find vexing.

Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I think Option 2 may be best. However to me the main constraint would be how many days is the trip? My wife does not travel light and luggage space might become an issue of its more than 3 days.

Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Ok, my son (Thing 2 of 4) graduates from Boston University in May - that's 1,050 miles from me.

I have a new and fun car

Would you:
1) Congratulations on your son graduating (I'm surprised you can afford an F-Type after that).
2) Congratulations, again, on your new and fun car.
3) Driving 1,000+ miles shouldn't be an obstacle at all. At some point we intend on driving my F-Type from Maine to Florida to visit our daughter in med school (whether or not we actually do is to be seen).
4) While I have driven to and through Boston many times, it's not the easiest city to drive. NOT because it's a city - I not only grew up in NYC but drove my dad's taxi while going to college [Peugeot, MT, sunroof, fabulous stereo] so I can drive anywhere in the world with ease] - but because it can be rather confusing.
5) It seems to me your third option very likely trumps your first and second one. Make your wife happy and relish that your son is graduating. (The F-Type will be there when you get back).
6) Option #3 is your only option.
7) You're welcome. (After your wife thanks you for listening to RickyJay52).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Drive north, stay in NJ until you are north of NYC, turn right towards CT and MA. Stay at a hotel in a western Boston suburb town and take the commuter rail in to the city.

Boston isn't so bad since they changed the rules in the traffic circle. When I lived there, cars entering the circles had the right-of-way. That counters the the laws of physics.

Your spousal issues are yours. I have enough of my own that I find vexing.
Vexing? Why don't you just admit Unhinged that you know nothing about your spouse?*** Like the rest of us. Having said that, I suggest that you and I - and likely many here - are clearly the smarter of the two since we got them to marry us.

***Surely just a joke. I think.

Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I've done six 900 mile trips, starting or ending in the metro Boston area. When heading west, I detour into VT for a great driving road. The F-type is a very comfortable distance cruiser.

I would recommend avoiding I-84 in CT, between Danbury and Harford. Most unpleasant stretch of interstate I've been on. Lots of left exits, slow drivers in the left lane, overly aggressive drivers, bad pavement, etc.

On the plus side, last time I was down that way, I drafted a Charger who kept it between 100-115MPH for a good 15 minutes on the stretch between Hartford and the MA Pike. (Late Saturday night, not much traffic. I won't go that fast if it requires lane changes.)

Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Vexing? Why don't you just admit Unhinged that you know nothing about your spouse?*** Like the rest of us. Having said that, I suggest that you and I - and likely many here - are clearly the smarter of the two since we got them to marry us.

***Surely just a joke. I think.
Winston Churchill said "My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me." So clearly we're all in great company here.

The following 2 users liked this post by StealthPilot:
Lookout! (12-05-2015), Unhingd (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I have a new and fun car

Would you:
Should you choose to consider option #2, I have an HVAC barn with secure, and free parking space 20 miles east of DC. I also drive to within a couple of blocks of Union Station (main DC Amtrak Terminal) to and from work every day, so your transportation costs to and from DC would be nothing.

That would be a beautiful and stress-free drive through the mountains in spring.

Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I recently did a road trip Dallas -> San Diego and back in my F Type, it was a real pleasure to drive, and I am so very glad I did it, even though it wore me out.

My friend who drives an M5 chided me for racking up so many miles on such a car in the first 6 months, as I am about to pass his milage mark for a 1 year old BMW. I related that there was no finer time in my car's life to go out and run for a few thousand miles. I think he was stumped or baffled at my response.

As my V6S Manual is also my daily driver, nothing would make me more sad than to only use it to drive back and forth to the office, never having truly enjoyed areas such as West Texas, where there really is not a speed limit, more of a speed suggestion. Also the climb from El Centro to the Crestline summit twisting and turning up an 6% grade at wondrous speeds.

These F-Types are made for the open road.

Orkney

Nessie at the rest area outside of Las Cruces New Mexico

Flinger (12-08-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I've done a Dallas to Philadelphia trip, (and will be doing Dallas to Maine for some great lobster come spring)

If the wife wouldn't want to enjoy a log distance drive, buy her a plane ticket and pick her up when you to the airport...

Old 12-05-2015, 01:38 PM

1) Congratulations on your son graduating (I'm surprised you can afford an F-Type after that).

Precisely why I could afford it...wrote the last check Sunday! I just got a $62,500 raise!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Should you choose to consider option #2, I have an HVAC barn with secure, and free parking space 20 miles east of DC. I also drive to within a couple of blocks of Union Station (main DC Amtrak Terminal) to and from work every day, so your transportation costs to and from DC would be nothing.

That would be a beautiful and stress-free drive through the mountains in spring.

I don't know...looks like a rough neighborhood! :icon lol:

But thank you VERY much for the invitation! I'll consult with the lovely Mrs and see what she says!

Old 12-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Why don't you just admit Unhinged that you know nothing about your spouse?
Clearly understanding this for the past 30 years is the primary reason I'm still (very happily) married to her after 35 years.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
On the plus side, last time I was down that way, I drafted a Charger who kept it between 100-115MPH for a good 15 minutes on the stretch between Hartford and the MA Pike.
That's the exact stretch I surpassed 150mph on a Dyna Wide Glide I had turbocharged. That was about 18 years ago when I was still immortal.

"Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!"

Old 12-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Clearly understanding this for the past 30 years is the primary reason I'm still (very happily) married to her after 35 years.
No small feat and heartfelt congratulations to you both! Absolutely fabulous Lance!!! I'm going on 17 blissful years (close to 13 years of marriage) with the same woman and damn lucky indeed. As are, obviously, you!

Take note Lookout! OPTION 3 IS THE ONLY OPTION.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled post, already in progress.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Orkney
As my V6S Manual is also my daily driver, nothing would make me more sad than to only use it to drive back and forth to the office,....
+1. I'm racking up over a thousand miles a month just commuting to work. After I get back to Maryland from the Lobster Run in May, I'm headed out to the Rockies in June. Might keep going to the left coast.

Road Trip(s)!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I am going to drive to Wyoming from Ontario. It will be a about 5000+ km for the return trip.

I am wondering how comfortable the car will be? I have a V8S. I cannot figure out what to do with my right leg when I will be droning along on I-90 with the cruise control on. I cannot seem to find a comfortable place for the right leg. I can stretch the left one out besides the brake pedal.

My brain tells me to take the Range Rover Sport. However, my heart is set on the F-Type. I want to drive it in the mountains.

Last edited by enfield; 05-06-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

@Foosh, if the small garage door is for the ftype, what are you packing behind the big door?

Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm 6'3 and I drove from Los Angeles to San Fransisco and back in one day...about 1000 miles in my F-Type Coupe. No complaints here.

Quick Reply: Long trip...what would you do?