F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an F-type

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 10:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy an F-type

Hello, this is my first foray into any type of forum so excuse me if I don't follow protocol. I will learn.
1) I am interested in a 2017 or 2018 F - Any suggestions about where to look and where to avoid?
2) Is it practical to use as a daily driver?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

1) Look anywhere and get a pre-inspection done regardless of where it comes from...
2) Yes

Old 06-30-2021, 11:00 AM

Sorry if this is simple, but how do I find someone to do a pre-inspection if the car is in another city? Trial and Error?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:06 AM

I figured it out, but thank you for the reply

Old 06-30-2021, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

A few things to think about now that your location is updated. If you plan to daily this during the winter, you will need either a set of winter tires to change out or run all seasons. While the later models have AWD (if you are looking at the V6's, their are 2WD options), you still need capable tires for the winter.

As far daily driving during non-winter months, it's extremely comfortable depending on your body type. Taller owners will have more challenges but it will come down to where the height is "on you":

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-213832/

Cargo space is good for this type of car if you are looking at a coupe. I've done a few business trips with mine and had ample room for my luggage. The convertible will have more a challenge when it comes to cargo space.

The F-Type has a very rigid chassis. This means for some, the ride could be considered rough. It all depends on the individual and what they are comparing from...

Most dealerships will do videos for you of the car you are interested in so you can get a better look at the areas you want to see better as their online photos will always try to show any car in it's best view. A lot of dealership who frequently sell out of state will also offer a 4 week or 30 day return option. Keep in mind that typically you will have to pay for the shipping on the return.

The following users liked this post:
Harley N (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WLS317
Hello, this is my first foray into any type of forum so excuse me if I don't follow protocol. I will learn.
1) I am interested in a 2017 or 2018 F - Any suggestions about where to look and where to avoid?
2) Is it practical to use as a daily driver?
I am not in your country so I cannot answer the first question.
As for 2) I would not say it's practical... it doesn't have much storage space, it has only two seats and although it's not an extreme sports car it's not very comfortable.
I have done only about 200 km with mine and I can tell you that my other car (Mercedes A class) is more comfortable and quiet at any speed.
But comfort and quietness are certainly not the reasons why I bought the F-Type so... I live with it

Old 06-30-2021, 12:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by LilyKalendar
As for 2) I would not say it's practical...
It's not a van, but the coupe can take a surprising amount of stuff, and who needs more than two seats? As a daily driver it's great!

Old 06-30-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Hi, yes it is very usable as a daily driver. We have a few cars and the F Type has been my daily for 5 years. Maybe a few times a year I need to take one of the other cars to fit things in that wont go in the F Type, the rest of the time whatever I am getting is too big for them as well so I have it delivered. It fits pretty much the same amount in the hatch (spare wheel removed) as my wife' XE does, though it is not quite as tall in there. I can fit 3 cases of sparkling wine (6 bottle cases) and a carton of beer in the hatch with room for nibblies as well. Sorted.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:58 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

The ride in base models is a bit firm but higher trim levels (R-Dynamic, R and SVR) have adaptive suspensions which are less firm but will firm up under hard cornering.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

You can try local dealers, as well as the onlines: Carvana, Truecar, Cars.com, Autotrader, CarGurus,, etc. If you just put "2017 Jaguar F-type for sale" in the search box, any number of sites will come up. If you can get the VIN, or look through the offerings on CarFax.com, see if the CarFax reports is available for the car. It's possible to see how well it was maintenanced, and the 2017 is covered by a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty which includes oil changes (first at 16,000 miles). You can see how many owners there were, and if there were accidents reported. This is how I found my 2017 this past fall, 2020. I personally prefer to go look at and drive a car before buying, whether it's a VW Golf, or an F-Type. Do be aware that there is a huge history on the manual transmission clutches in these cars, up to about 2018. The clutches go bad, some of the early ones gave out before the owner got the new car home! There are at least 4 generations of clutches. I didn't know this when I bought the car, only that the selling dealer had installed a new clutch.. I was somewhat suspect, at 26,000 miles, replace a clutch??? I made sure to get a copy of the parts order and the work order. I've always driven MT, and my '98 Honda had 270,000 miles on the OE Clutch. Sinking feeling in pit of stomach! Thanks to all the input from this forum, I found that the selling dealer had indeed installed the 4th generation clutch, T2R27466. I have put on about 3000 miles since purchase, with no issues.

The only other issue I had with this car was the LED lighting strip in the bottom of door handle that is supposed to shine down on the window switches. The LED strip was there. Again, thanks to the numerous posts on the issue in this forum, the problem was found to be basically a software issue, a module needed to be initialized, that's all it took.

One other consideration when buying is if you decide to have it serviced by a JLR dealer. There are many stories here of less than stellar performance, as well as lack of willingness to assist an owner, by some dealers. Fortunately, the one near me is not like that.

Good luck with your hunt, and you have come to the right place for information and help. I can't say enough good things about the kindness and assistance I have received here.

The following users liked this post:
scm (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the information from everyone. You are correct in that everyone here has been very helpful.