F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an F and have ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Looking at an F and have ??

Besides the 40hp difference, what is different about an S from the base?

Is the difference in hp from a tune or is there head/cam differences also?

Anything in perticular I should look for, when inspecting an F?

TIA

Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm not too familiar with the V6 models but from what I recall reading there are quite a bit of difference besides the HP like dynamic active exhaust, some suspension stuff, etc. You can get these as options (I believe) so you can get a base + options to close the gap on the S for things you care about.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Power difference is purely software, as I understand it.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

S comes as standard with torque vectoring, bigger brakes, adaptive dynamics (active suspension), limited slip diff, configurable 'i-dynamic' mode...think that's about it, but not sure which of these you can option on the base or not.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by randyb
Anything in perticular I should look for, when inspecting an F?
If it has the uprated Meridian stereo, make sure it doesn't sound lousy if you care about your music...but at least all F-Types make their own music via their exhaust!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

The ratio of the LSD compared to the open diff means the S will feel noticeably more punchy to drive. There is also a noticeable difference in the engine above 5k - but only if you have the throttle pinned.

The active exhaust will be both quieter and louder than the passive item.

The low speed ride will be better on the S.

New, the S cost 20% more.

Choices, choices...

Old 11-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
The active exhaust will be both quieter and louder than the passive item.
I'm pretty sure all models have the switchable exhaust now, base included.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
S comes as standard with torque vectoring, bigger brakes, adaptive dynamics (active suspension), limited slip diff, configurable 'i-dynamic' mode...think that's about it, but not sure which of these you can option on the base or not.
I think that depends on year. For 2016 the base model has an open diff, the S has a mechanical LSD, and if you upgrade to the "Super Performance" brakes, you get electronic LSD and torque vectoring. I'm not sure about the first two years.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally think the S is a waste of money, you get most of what you need in the base.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
I personally think the S is a waste of money, you get most of what you need in the base.
Speaking for myself, if I'm going to spend even close that kind of money, I'm not going to get a 340bhp RWD car with an open diff. Active dynamics isn't nearly as useful as I had hoped, but it does change the colors on the dash :/

I like the active headlights though.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Part of what made the car desirable to me over my SLK55 was the active suspension and all of the goodies on the S. The 40HP is a plus. Each year has different options on the base, not all available. In '17 most not available on base at all.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
While you suggest the "S" stands for sucker (just kidding) I suggest it actually stands for special. There have been many articles - including here randyb - breaking down the differences in all the models, some even suggesting that the "S" stands for sweetspot (among the 3 models; the base, the s, and the r). My choice was easy - even if I initially thought I was interested in the base - my dealer had two cars in stock, an r and and s. I chose the latter.

In the end and no matter which model you choose, I suggest the "F" stands for fantastic! And most here agree...

The following 4 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
drbill (11-26-2015), PolkNole (11-25-2015), slojotaa (11-27-2015), XJL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Go the S, you know you want to.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

This is how I look at it...

If you primarily want the car for the looks and for general city driving and touring, then go for the base, that is all you need.

If you're also interested in the sporty / performance side, or if you ever plan to track the car, you'll want the S (or R).

If you live in an area with inclement weather and plan to drive the car year around, or if you plan to track the car, you will also want to consider AWD over RWD for 2016-2017 models.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm pretty sure all models have the switchable exhaust now, base included.
Switchable active exhaust is not standard on the Base in the US, but is available as a $1600 option. I have a 2016 Base, for 3 months now, 3000 miles, and did not go for this option. I'm not missing the switchable part.

The following users liked this post:
IRRBrogue (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Part of what made the car desirable to me over my SLK55 was the active suspension and all of the goodies on the S. The 40HP is a plus. Each year has different options on the base, not all available. In '17 most not available on base at all.
Horsepower is potential top speed, while torque is how quickly you get there.

So, the ratio of the differential on the S will give more torque at the wheels (at the expense of gas mileage), while the ecu map holds on to the torque above 5k rpm by opening the throttle plate a bit further (giving that increase in potential top speed - which is hamstrung by the ratio of the differential).

Choices...

Old 11-26-2015, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The S does not come standard with TVB. The Super Performance Brakes have to be ordered to get the TVB on the S.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The S does not come standard with TVB. The Super Performance Brakes have to be ordered to get the TVB on the S.
The UK S comes with TVB (on 2016 model onwards), but only High Performance brakes as standard.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

If it has the uprated Meridian stereo, make sure it doesn't sound lousy if you care about your music...but at least all F-Types make their own music via their exhaust!
That was true in '14-'15. All US '16 models get the 780w Meridian.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New Member Thoughts

Greetings! I'm a new owner (6 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes) of an F-Type S Coupe. Thought I'd weight in:

Yes, there are differences. In my small market, I had few options in inventory to choose from. So, I corresponded with dealers in multiple markets (although I bought local).

I started my search for a convertible so I'd have a ragtop when I put my '69 280 SL into restoration (is it sacrilege to mention a german car here???)...to my surprise, I opted for the S Coupe. I drove an R (too much car for me) and I drove a base (not enough 'control' gadgets). Other options I considered were BMW M4, SL400, Porsche Boxster and Cayman. I just kept coming back to Jag because of the sheer beauty.

But, I kept asking myself the same question - what's the difference between Base and S.

One dealer suggested that the only difference between the Base and S would be felt on a track...now, as an owner, I disagree. I feel a huge difference in flexibility with choice of driving modes - particularly since I drive up and down a mountain daily. I like the control over opening the pipes and closing them (for my neighbor's sake in my quiet little burg).

My only regret is that I excluded AWD as a consideration early on...and alas, given the curvy mountainous roads that I travel on daily, I can now see the potential benefit of AWD.

But, through it all, this is the first car where I've not experienced an iota of buyer's remorse in the days following my purchase. Plus, I got a kick taking a "conservative driving" co-worker for a ride...fortunately, the seats are still clean and new smelling!

Quick Reply: Looking at an F and have ??