F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for f-type R RWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome! What company did you go with for the chip and pulley?

Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Oh and K&Ns.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by r_matt_6
Awesome! What company did you go with for the chip and pulley?
Racechip GTS Black and Eurotoys pulley. My 2014 CPO V8 S still has almost a year of warranty left so I need something electronically removable. I can't decide if my next set of tires will be Sport Cup 2s or R888Rs, but I have to find a way to launch without traction control on. The MP4Ss were a big improvement over the PZeros. MP4Ss dropped me from consistent 3.8s to consistent 3.4s with Dragy, but thats with reduced traction control still on.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

There is no tire that is great for dead stop launches and also great in the corners. The tire construction, to do those tasks well, are orthogonal. You have to pick which is more important, corner carving or drag launches and pick the tire that does what your focus is well. There is a reason people don't run drag radials on road courses.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Carmax called and said the car is now in Tampa. I went this morning to Carmax in Tampa. I told Carmax last night that I wanted to start a cold engine when I got there. That did not happen. Someone said they dropped the ball on that. Engine was all warmed up when I got there. No check engine codes appeared. Next I looked inside the oil fill tube and saw that the timing chain and other engine internals were light brown in color. My V6 looked factory clean when I purchased it. I used a handy reach tool to swab the upper pan from underneath the car. Something was leaking from above. I told Carmax I was no longer interested in the car. Why did the owner sell it to Carmax ?.

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't want to say that earlier, but I am always a bit nervous about those who sell a car like that to CarMax. It doesn't mean they don't have plenty of great cars, but it's always there in my mind.

peppersam740 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I know when Carmax was expanding/getting established here in LA, they were offering the highest trade-in prices, I took a couple cars to them, got more than I was offered private party - with no obligation to buy one of their cars.. But I think now they are established that premium has diminished.

David Meier (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Agreed. They can be pretty generous with their offers and if you don't want to deal with selling a car it's a good option although I don't think you'd have much trouble selling that particular car .

Old 10-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Not much. Racechip and an upper pulley. Around $1000 total. The ZF8 is worth a lot of WHP compared to a normal transmission. My 2014 V8S stock baseline is 488 WHP, with RC its 539 WHP, the upper pulley brings it to 559 WHP. I already have the upper pulley here
Very nice. I have upper and lower pulley, meth, tune, intake, and 300 cell cats. And my nittos can't hold the power. I'm gonna try r888r next.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Reading through this post, I saw a 'SE PA' and a 'North Wales' in a couple signatures. Do you guys know each other or ever get together? I'm in the Doylestown area with my 2014 v6s Black Vert and constantly considering an R or v8s upgrade. Seems like North Wales got a hell of a deal at 41k. Finding a V8 seems like a daunting task and the prices for a 2014 V6s seems to be a bit all over the map (34-40k+). Tough to gauge exactly what the exchange cost will be to go from a v6s to a v8s or r

Old 10-28-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by watson6505
Reading through this post, I saw a 'SE PA' and a 'North Wales' in a couple signatures. Do you guys know each other or ever get together? I'm in the Doylestown area with my 2014 v6s Black Vert and constantly considering an R or v8s upgrade. Seems like North Wales got a hell of a deal at 41k. Finding a V8 seems like a daunting task and the prices for a 2014 V6s seems to be a bit all over the map (34-40k+). Tough to gauge exactly what the exchange cost will be to go from a v6s to a v8s or r
Hhey watson6505.... I am in NW Chester County just off the turnpike!!!! I am the one who got the V8S - $41K deal, although I think it was just an OK deal. I did a ton of research and had a "great price" nailed at around $40K for a 2015 V8 with less than 20K miles. I was willing to fly and drive so my search was from Maine to Florida which helped. I ended up finding an original owner of a 2015 with 15K miles in the Poconos (of all places) with pretty much all the options including the red leather, sport seats, etc. The guy was in his 80's so I figured it was gently driven and we struck a deal. The V8 is really something, but I may have looked more at the AWD in the V8 especially if it is to be more than a weekend, summer vehicle. It's very easy for the back end to come out when it's wet even from only a gentle nudge of the throttle. Of course, that's what also makes it a blast. I would guess the exchange is going to run you $10K ish if I had to guess. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by David Meier
Hhey watson6505.... I am in NW Chester County just off the turnpike!!!! I am the one who got the V8S - $41K deal, although I think it was just an OK deal. I did a ton of research and had a "great price" nailed at around $40K for a 2015 V8 with less than 20K miles. I was willing to fly and drive so my search was from Maine to Florida which helped. I ended up finding an original owner of a 2015 with 15K miles in the Poconos (of all places) with pretty much all the options including the red leather, sport seats, etc. The guy was in his 80's so I figured it was gently driven and we struck a deal. The V8 is really something, but I may have looked more at the AWD in the V8 especially if it is to be more than a weekend, summer vehicle. It's very easy for the back end to come out when it's wet even from only a gentle nudge of the throttle. Of course, that's what also makes it a blast. I would guess the exchange is going to run you $10K ish if I had to guess. Good luck!
cool, thanks for the reply...I'm in a similar boat as you. I am willing to drive a ways (maybe fly) for the right deal, would be good up to 20-30k miles and a 2015 would be a bonus. If they are out there for 40k, I think I could get at least 35k for mine with 18k miles right now but I haven't even considered the subject yet. Trade would obviously be less than 35, but would offset 2k in taxes if traded. If you ever end up heading to a cool event or gathering PM me....I'm always looking for a spirited drive and havent been on one since I had my NSX several years back.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:21 PM

I drove this one.... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=247727464 Funny story - We really liked this one and drove it in August at the same Maserati delaer. They wanted $47K for it and we offered $44K cash. They said "No thanks and goodbye". My wife and I were baffled. A day later they raised the price to $48K. Clearly they didn't know what they were doing. It's still for sale all these months later and now down to $43.5K. Wonder why people hate dealers. The car is really nice, but it doesn't have the upgraded interior/seats (if you care). If nothing else it gives you a local point of reference on price.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by David Meier
I drove this one.... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=247727464 Funny story - We really liked this one and drove it in August at the same Maserati delaer. They wanted $47K for it and we offered $44K cash. They said "No thanks and goodbye". My wife and I were baffled. A day later they raised the price to $48K. Clearly they didn't know what they were doing. It's still for sale all these months later and now down to $43.5K. Wonder why people hate dealers. The car is really nice, but it doesn't have the upgraded interior/seats (if you care). If nothing else it gives you a local point of reference on price.

thanks and interesting story, I did see that one online and I liked it. I'm gonna stuck to EXACTLY what I want for now which is black/silver/gray with red or red accented interior. This is certainly a good reference point and they might take 40-42k for it right now with the winter coming and knowing they've had it for a while. Scares me a little bit on how much I can get for my 2014, but its pristine with some upgrades so I'm still thinking over 35k, but still in the early stages. If the price is right for the VAP tune/pulley on black Friday I may just go that route and save on the upgrade to a v8 costs. Not to mention basically driving the power of a v8 in a v6.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
If the price is right for the VAP tune/pulley on black Friday I may just go that route and save on the upgrade to a v8 costs. Not to mention basically driving the power of a v8 in a v6.
I just did that and added the VAP quad exhaust, so I have big sound and the performance as well, but with the lighter front end of the 6 and my original car which is exactly the colour and options combination I wanted. The exhaust changeover in particular was expensive here (getting the diffuser and skirt) but ultimately the total cost of everything was less than the stamp duty I would have paid had I changed up to an R or SVR. I have to say I am pretty ecstatic with the outcome.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default f-type AWD

I remember reading on the forum of a guy removing all the front wheel drive components. He said it did not throw a check engine light or other code. If anyone else has seen that thread please chime in .

Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I just did that and added the VAP quad exhaust, so I have big sound and the performance as well, but with the lighter front end of the 6 and my original car which is exactly the colour and options combination I wanted. The exhaust changeover in particular was expensive here (getting the diffuser and skirt) but ultimately the total cost of everything was less than the stamp duty I would have paid had I changed up to an R or SVR. I have to say I am pretty ecstatic with the outcome.
Bruce - so you also did the quad exhaust I see...does that add any horses/torque or just look and sound? How difficult was it to track down the rear diffuser? So from a tune/pulley perspective was it night and day performance? Have you driven a V8s or s or svr? I'm really looking for comparison between tuned v6 and baseline v8s or r.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Gooday. OK, well for 2 years I had the 5.0 XKR which has the same output as the v8 S, and I've driven the R quite a few times on a big track and a little one, but I've never driven a v8 S.

I did the exhaust at the same time as the pulley/tune so I'm not sure about whether that adds any horses, if it did I would think only a couple of little ones. I'm in Australia where it is hard to find second hand parts, ultimately I had to buy OEM bits for the skirt and diffuser which cost as much as the exhaust itself but Unhing'd (who did all this before me) was luckier and got his second hand in the US a lot cheaper as I understand it.

I would say that performance is night/day, from the v6S, especially in dynamic - the difference is almost night/day just as between normal mode and dynamic. Because I have only driven the R on the track it is hard to say what difference there is between driving the cars on the street, but it is heaps easier to break traction in first, second, and third and the pull at say 80kph onwards is a lot bigger. I cant imagine that on the road the RWD R would be any quicker at street legal speeds because I am running my car on the michelins that we love to talk about so much with oversized tyres and forged wheels, and if I am breaking traction easily with those on in the dry, another 75hp isnt going to make the car any faster, but I'd expect that might change at higher speeds, say over 120kph.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 PM

awesome, thanks for the initial impression Bruce....

I'd love to hear others experiences, but its taking this thread off topic.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you seen this one? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=253510864

Carfax - https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=DON_0

Florida, ~20k miles, could be worth a closer look. Think it could be acquired for 48.9 or less. Its already got 13 saves I think it will be bought fairly soon..

Quick Reply: Looking for f-type R RWD