F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to lease first Jag, can I get a sanity check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looking to lease first Jag, can I get a sanity check?

Just had a look at a 2016 F-Type S coupe, manual, RWD, with premium+vision package. It was a blast to drive!

Here are the initial numbers given to me by the dealer, and (due to never owning a Jag before) I'm looking for a second opinion from the community here.

36 months, 12k miles/year
Gross cap cost: $79,933
Residual: $51,418 (62% of $82,933 MSRP)
Money factor: 0.00177 (4.248%)
Drive off: $4,000

All this, with typical DMV fees and CA sales tax, results in a payment of $1099/month.

According to the salesman, the cap cost of $79,933 is barely above the invoice price. I've been seeing other people online claim to have purchased last-MY F-Types for a bit below invoice though, so curious about everyone's thoughts here.

I've also seen on Edmunds' forums that Jag's best money factor for the F-Type is currently 0.00147, so again curious on everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If YOU are happy with the deal, go for it.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
If YOU are happy with the deal, go for it.
Well, yes, of course. That's always a big factor.

I am mostly curious about other Jag owners' experience with what I mentioned about the lower selling price and lower money factor, especially with cars from the last MY.

I have been to many other dealerships in the past that tell white lies about invoice prices and money factors (I have had salesman start the negotiations with a MF *twice* as high as it should have been/what the bank quoted). So it's always nice to get a second opinion on what kind of wiggle room is actually available, if any.

For instance, if what I've been researching is true, it sounds as though I can possibly shave another $2-3k off the selling price and get a slightly lower MF. That would result in a payment almost $100 lower.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I did not lease my car, but received alost 17% discount from msrp on a 16 R coupe. I would think they should do much better than invoice. If you do a search on deals on this forum you should find recent discussions on this. Best of luck, and cross shop several dealers. Also, is the car brand new or has warranty started? Check as this is significant to pricing.

The following users liked this post:
Inspector-G (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the selling price is high - I'd be looking for a much bigger discount on a 16, dealers have 17s in stock and should be very incentivized to move their older inventory. The residuals etc are cast in stone but do be sure to have them show you their summary sheet from Chase to ensure you are getting the buy rate on the money factor, assuming you qualify. Dealers can and do try to mark this up, even for tier 1 credit customers.

Inspector-G (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

They are holding off on you, as should get at least $15K off invoice price in various discounts on 2016 model, and I am not seeing this reflected in your numbers. FYI, there were reports of people paying less monthly on 2016 R-type.

Inspector-G (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 PM

This is all great info, thanks.

I just spoke with the salesman again, he was very adamant that going below the invoice price is something they would never do (or have ever done). That certainly doesn't match the info I've been reading online (here and elsewhere), or past shopping experiences of my own with other brands... He said he would check for any incentives that would enable them to do so, but color me skeptical about the whole deal now.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Jag dealerships in my area of Northern California, and even fewer that have manual F-Types in stock with the configuration I'm looking for (or close to it). At the moment I feel a bit tied to Niello Jag in Sacramento :S

Old 05-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
They are holding off on you, as should get at least $15K off invoice price in various discounts on 2016 model, and I am not seeing this reflected in your numbers. FYI, there were reports of people paying less monthly on 2016 R-type.
Did you really mean to say $15K off dealer invoice? No way . . .

Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I would assume that the numbers would be different since it's a manual. I don't recall folks discussing recent deals on manuals, because MTs are relatively rare.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I would assume that the numbers would be different since it's a manual. I don't recall folks discussing recent deals on manuals, because MTs are relatively rare.
Seems like people wanting to drive MTs are even more rare.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Seems like people wanting to drive MTs are even more rare.
Agreed. As best I can tell, this particular car has been on the lot for a while.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
Agreed. As best I can tell, this particular car has been on the lot for a while.
I suspect Jag may discontinue the MT when the I4 engines are introduced, if the V6s are discontinued.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:27 PM

I just spoke with the salesman again, he was very adamant that going below the invoice price is something they would never do (or have ever done). That certainly doesn't match the info I've been reading online (here and elsewhere), or past shopping experiences of my own with other brands... He said he would check for any incentives that would enable them to do so, but color me skeptical about the whole deal now.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Jag dealerships in my area of Northern California, and even fewer that have manual F-Types in stock with the configuration I'm looking for (or close to it). At the moment I feel a bit tied to Niello Jag in Sacramento :S
Different time and different cars but I got both my F Type and my XJ for well under invoice. This was from what is now Jaguar Land Rover of San Jose. I'm pretty sure you'd get a much better deal here than you seem to be getting up there.

I suspect your sales guy is seeing if you'll blink - don't, as the deal you have right now is poor. 3k off a 16 is terrible.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Below invoice, maybe, but $15K below invoice, no way.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Do a search and see if any Bay Area dealers have what you want then check what kind of deal they are willing to make. Even if they don't have MT, check out the discount and money factor to see how off your dealer is. Then you at least have something to negotiate with your local dealer.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:42 PM

To add to the above, my local dealer here in San Jose has 39 2016 F Types in stock. Niello has 5... That will factor in to them playing hardball to some extent, but they are still drastically over-estimating their leverage IMHO. Seriously, call the SJ dealer. You will get a way better deal albeit one that comes with a three hour drive....

Old 05-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

If you do your homework, Niello might cave and you'll get what you want at a payment that is lower than what was quoted, or if you don't get anything better from your inquiries, you'll at least know it's fair.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Definitely check with other dealerships. I was able to get mine for $11,000 off MSRP on 2016 in early/mid April. I'm paying substantially less than that number, but I put money down because I wanted to. I know everyone will now yell at me for it, but I just chose to take that chance. I do think the San Jose dealership having so many in stock would factor into negotiations. Just think if you do buy from San Jose you will have an awesome 3 hour ride home.. =)

Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

There are plenty of options in CA. Southern California is a highly competitive market. Don't be shy about giving them a call even if you are just shopping. I had my car trucked to San Jose for $300 ....dealer arranged. I would call the following dealers in Southern Cal:

1. Hornburg: I found most dealers are scared of their pricing. They are by far the largest dealer in CA. I did not buy from them... they did not have what I wanted. Their pricing is very good if you want what they have. Their website is the best place to start.

2. Thousand Oaks: They tend to have a good mark-up but will match prices from other dealers.
3. Ventura: Similar to Thousand Oaks
4. Galpin: Can have large inventory at times, but very good deals can be had on 2016s
4. San Diego Jag: Very Similar to 2 and 3

Moving to Northern Cal:
1. San Jose Jag: They are good to deal with, but might have to negotiate for a while.
2. Monetery Jag: These guys have a lot of inventory from previous years. They don't sell many F types. You can get a very good deal if you are looking for a 2015 or 2016.
3. Haron Jag: They are in Fresno, but their pricing is quite reasonable. Quite a few folks in the Bay Area buy from them.

Lot of these guys will mark their 2015/2016 inventory as used to protect their new pricing, and sell them as certified pre-owned (cars will have anywhere from 10-300 miles on them). IMHO, these are the best type of cars to get (you don't take that much of a depriciation hit, and have a longer warranty).

I wrapped up my purchase about month ago, but looked for a while before I pulled the trigger. Final words- Don't be in a rush!!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

That seems high - that's as much as I would expect for a 2016 type R.

In fact here are a couple of Type Rs for $899 a month ($5K down, 7500 miles). Extra miles and factoring in the higher drive off at about an extra $100 a month so roughly $1000 before taxes.

Dealer Specials - Jaguar Newport Beach

Uk2usa (05-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Looking to lease first Jag, can I get a sanity check?