F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for my first F Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 12:54 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 to the comments that blind spot monitoring is only really needed in a convertible. I had a front and rear camera installed after market in my coupe for $2,300. Integrated right into the Infotainment system and activated with the stock buttons, nothing additional needed in the cockpit Not cheap but well worth it. The rear camera is very wide angle and provides a great view to both sides when backing out of a parking space or drive. So, you have options if a car you like does not have the stock monitors mentioned above. PM me if you want details.

On the topic of parking monitors, I had an aha moment the other day when I realized I could program a seat position that lifts the seat and pushes it forward to the limits, which made it much easier to see front fender clearances when parking. 1 position for driving, 1 for tight clearance situations, 1 push of a button. Doh!

The following 3 users liked this post by Michael211:
GabeLeal (11-11-2023), scm (11-11-2023), woohoo (11-11-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well folks, Yesterday I got an opportunity that I have been waiting for for a few years. While I wish this post was saying that I purchased this F Type, it was out of my price range. I showed up to the dealership to continue to build a repour with the salesman there. They had just recently got in a British Racing Green F type (2019 13k miles) that was perfect. It had the V8, it was AWD, a coupe, very clean in and out, and just looked incredible. I told the salesman that this particular Jag was well out of my price range, but that my wife had never even sat in a jag before and that I wanted to have her get that chance before they sold this F Type. The guy could see my longing, threw me the keys, and said just take it out for a spin.
From the second I opened the door until 3 hours after we left the dealership, I had a smile glued to my face. The exhaust sounded great even though I forgot to try the active exhaust button, the ride was unbelievable, the comfort of the seat is completely unmatched IMO, the acceleration was exhilarating and a staple of my smile, and just overall, such an awesome experience. I am envious of all of you who get to drive one of these works of art daily, but I will have you all know that after yesterday, I am completely sold on having one of my own and have already begun a savings for one.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (12-06-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:39 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,473 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by GabeLeal
The exhaust sounded great even though I forgot to try the active exhaust button ...
Next time, just put it in dynamic mode.
If you already did that, using the button would turn off the noise (but only below 3,500 rpm).

GabeLeal (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Next time, just put it in dynamic mode.
If you already did that, using the button would turn off the noise (but only below 3,500 rpm).
Putting it in Dynamic mode was a must. Only way to truly know if I wanted the car or not.

scm (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

This is a Xf but same concept but in v6 simular in V8 ,you to do this before moving, and your F-type will be reliable

GabeLeal (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dennis black
This is a Xf but same concept but in v6 simular in V8 ,you to do this before moving, and your F-type will be reliable
https://youtu.be/7sm3trlw-qI?si=0nxruzsMrCBHWO2n
Thank you. I appreciate the tip

Old 12-07-2023, 11:35 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

First off, the GTS is a car I would hang on to. I have a base v6 with a tune. it has 400+ hp, but only 350 tq and it is HEAVY, so if you are looking at a stop light warrior, get an R w/AWD. As a warning about streetlight racing, my friend with a caddy cts-v just paid slightly over 5 grand in fines and attorney fees for street racing, most states are cracking down hard on that, so be safe and be careful.

GabeLeal (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by randyb
First off, the GTS is a car I would hang on to. I have a base v6 with a tune. it has 400+ hp, but only 350 tq and it is HEAVY, so if you are looking at a stop light warrior, get an R w/AWD. As a warning about streetlight racing, my friend with a caddy cts-v just paid slightly over 5 grand in fines and attorney fees for street racing, most states are cracking down hard on that, so be safe and be careful.
I do love my GTS, but I am a V8 guy through and through. I have tried living with a v6 for the last 4 years, and I continue finding myself missing that little extra engine noise that makes you feel good inside. When I got my GTS, I had just got out of a 2019 BMW 338i. The Kia felt like a huge upgrade in power, feel, and driving experience. The problem is, before that BMW that I only had for a few months, I had a 2019 Challenger RT, and before that a 1978 black and gold Trans Am. I loved the V8, really disliked the 4 banger, and only feel like I appreciated the Twin 6 because it was such a big upgrade over the 4 cylinder. If you are interested in a GTS though, mine is in wonderful like-new condition, has 37k miles on it, and is much nicer to drive than a BMW 338i. With it being 1 of 800, I wouldn't be upset hanging on to it, but I am addicted to the F Type. I am sure my wife, a drug and alcohol councilor, feels like I am one of her drug-addicted clients needing a fix when I get talking about an F Type. I crave that driving experience that one can only get from an F Type.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:43 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by colormegone
If you are looking for better Tech, I believe you will need to find a 2019 or newer car. I have a 2018 R AWD and the infotainment system is the old screen and tech. I drive mine daily spring through fall and enjoy it, but I don't think I would drive this car through the winter more due to ground clearance issues. I am sure with a good set of tires the car would do fine other than a deep snow. There are a few people on here that do drive the car through winter and hopefully they will chime in.
I have a coupe and for my use it has enough room for the everyday choirs such as getting groceries, but I also have a pickup truck for the larger items. With any sports car you will have the issue with headlights at night being at eye level due to most other vehicle being suvs or trucks that are a lot taller than an F type. I find the visibility out of the car to be sufficient other than the rearview mirror gets in the way while looking out of the windshield. I got use to looking around it.
The fuel economy is good for this type of vehicle, and I do not find the maintenance to be extreme, but of course this is a performance vehicle, and these costs are not as low as the car you own now or the Challenger you did own so be prepared for this. For example, I was quoted $480.00 for an oil change at JLR, I did it myself, but it still was almost $180.00 for the oil and filter. I just replaced the rear tires and had a 4-wheel alignment done and it cost $1200.00. Generally, I replace two sets of rear tires to one set of front tires, and I usually get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires. I had the panoramic roof replaced due to a crack in it and it cost $4000.00. I replaced one front headlight for $3500.00 plus my labor. Being this is going to be a daily driver this cost can add up quickly depending on the number of miles and you're driving habits.

Mighty vac here in hand, I can do oil and filter for about 80 dollars. Amazon oil and filter....based on choices 35-100 dollars. I'll change q 3k miles to keep the AJ motor happy.

Performance tire place - matches or beats tire rack...30 dollars a corner mount.

Brakes: parts plus 200 per axle (rotors, pads, fluid is 50 labor plus parts).

Do the metal coolant stuff noted, and if you tune the V6 can give you up to 475 on pump gas and 550 on e85....and the zf8 can be tuned to be pdk quick and better start/stop (lights) than the pdk...more civilized with the first gear only auto slush stuff...the other gears are like the pdk afaik. When I did that I also did a solid s/c thing and s/c fluid, plugs, filters, plugs, and water pump. Good now for another 100k. Oh, did the diffs and transfer case fluids too. The rear is probably q 25k miles the others q 50k.

In my case, with the above, I am hoping to keep this car for a very long time....

Great car. Good luck.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-08-2023 at 09:51 AM.
GabeLeal (12-08-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 12:59 PM

For those who say get a 19 or newer for the tech, what tech specifically is it that is a big upgrade. Does the pre19 still have a good stereo, backup camera, backukp sensors things like that? I do not need lane keep assist or adaptive cruise.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:41 PM

My 2016 with an aftermarket wireless carplay/android auto system (search as there are threads on this here-likely one source with different levels of support based on if you buy retail or not...) is great.

Parking sensors are helpful...in the coupe it is hard to see the rear corners for sure, front to if you are honest...the car shrinks at speed but when parking it is not the best in terms of visibility.

Camera is a must...I have factory and it is great. I suspect aftermarket would be great too if professionally installed...

The lane chaning mirror things are sort of ok.

I love 3 memory seats on both seats.

I love the glass roof.

Love the dynamic suspension and exhaust too.

Never use cruise control so not an issue.

Heated steering wheel and seats are great!

The analog gauges to me are just fine....the LCD is nice but the analog sort of look appeals to me a lot.

AWD is great in the snow.

The minimum I'd do is get a p380 with glass roof and dynamic package.

Change out the plastic coolant tubes to metal.

Get 20" wheels and good tires based on your needs/climate.

Do all the fluids and filters and plugs.

Drive it.

IF a v6 you'll have 10-12k left in the bank, use 3k of it to get up to R power. Done.

Best,

jb

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-09-2023 at 01:44 PM.
GabeLeal (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

My 2014 has the backup camera, back up sensors, side mirror lane warning. It does not have adaptive cruise just regular cruise control and no other lane keeping nonsense. So these options have existed since the beginning.

GabeLeal (12-20-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 03:07 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
My 2014 has the backup camera, back up sensors, side mirror lane warning. It does not have adaptive cruise just regular cruise control and no other lane keeping nonsense. So these options have existed since the beginning.
I don't think adaptive cruise was ever available on the F-Type (I did have it on a 2004 XKR which was good) but the other "helpful" nonsense is available on later MYs.

GabeLeal (12-20-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 06:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Here's John Cadogan's take on the "nonsense". He's a bit cranky, but that doesn't stop him being objective and right! :-)

GabeLeal (12-20-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 08:39 AM

Back to the OP- these cars are going to be classics because of their looks, their approachability (fun at normal speeds...no track needed as in a current 911), and their sound. They are not perfect and this forum addresses each and every issue - you need to search as most things are figured out.

I took my 550hp v6 out yesterday for a stomp and at normal speeds to something it was just wonderful...in the rain and even made the slow return home behind a delivery van tolerable...people here complain about the audio but it is amazing. Jaguar engineers in one iteration got 99% to where Porsche took 40 + years. That is remarkable.

The following 4 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
GabeLeal (12-20-2023), PaulBarrrera (12-10-2023), SassySarah (12-11-2023), synthesis (12-10-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 06:19 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I think they say that because the larger audio screen and maybe slightly better resolution. The parking sensors, cameras are on prior models. I have a 2016 R and fully equipped with all of those features.

GabeLeal (12-20-2023)