F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase a 2017 F type base but have some concerns about warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase a 2017 F type base but have some concerns about warranty

Hello!

This is my first post here and I'm unsure if I'm even in the right place.

Let me start by saying I've never owned a jaguar in my life however the F-type has been a car I've wanted since 2014 and I'm finally in a position to get one. I typically always buy my cars either new or CPO and have some type of factory warranty for a good bit as I like to be cautious. There is a particular Jaguar F-type that is for sale with 15,000 miles, 1 owner, clean title etc. and is the exact car I want. From the pictures, it looks fantastic. It has 2 years left of factory warranty on it. It was purchased by an auto broker company that sells luxury vehicles that have remaining warranty time on them. My question to you veteran F-type owners is:

1) How important is it to have the CPO (5 years/60,000) warranty vs the left over 2 years/45,000 of factory warranty on this F-type?
2) Is it worth it to purchase an additional warranty from a jaguar dealer (honestly, I don't even know If I can do this) after the original factory warranty is up?
3) Is there anything I should be concerned about purchasing a non-CPO car not from a certified jaguar dealership?

There is another vehicle I'm looking at that is CPO with about 10,000 more miles on it and roughly the same price however, it is not the color I've been wanting but I would settle for it. I'm not sure what to do here and I would love to get some advice from you guys.

Thank you for reading!

Old 05-29-2020, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Hi
Last year, (January), I bought my XE from a main agent and got the normal Jaguar 2 year warranty on used cars, which included the balance of the original warranty. This car, on 10k miles, is the closest I've ever got to a new car, and it was half price; a no brainer really. It has been totally reliable so far, except all the brakes were replaced since January, fronts due to shudder on braking, (no charge), then rears at 25k yesterday due to wear. (a lot of money !!). As far as I know, you can extend the Jaguar warranty although it is expensive, and I think the car has to have been fully serviced at main agents for the extension to be available. You'd have to enquire at a main agent or from Jaguar themselves.

What you need to do is check that the car has been serviced correctly because Jaguar could refuse a claim if this has not been done.

Assuming the above is OK, and if the price is right, I'd go for it. Test drive it first though.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-29-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So far, F-types have been reliable. Know issues are: a) weak clutch with MT, b) weak mechanical LSD, and c) engine timing chain that get worn if oil changes are neglected, d) power management system that goes wonky after OBD port is used that requires battery disconnect to reboot.

Late XKRs, that essentially F-type in a different body shell, also showed that with age SC coupler, plastic coolant pipes in the engine bay, water pump will become problematic. I have not yet heard of this being a problem on F-types.

Do you need CPO? Well, you are getting what was very expensive new car. Things can go wrong and Jaguar isn't Toyota.

Personally, when my factory warranty expired I decided not to purchase (4.5K) extended CPO. My bet was that I would not not need 4.5K worth of repairs in 2 years. YMMV.

Last edited by SinF; 05-29-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY, yes my car is special and this is not the norm but in the last 1.5 years my warranty has paid out an excess of $80,000, yes that is not a joke. I love my F but it is not a car I would touch without a warranty. if you plan to sell it before the warranty is up then your fine but if you want to keep it past that I would strongly suggest getting cpo,

my cpo has not even started yet and I will most likely sell around the time my factory warranty ends in september but not only for the peace of mind but for selling in the future a cpo car with warranty will be much more valuable on the used market. Don't let cpo fool you into thinking your getting a better car, my car was involved in a minor accident that was not disclosed to me prior to purchase and was not in really much better shape then other non CPO f's I saw, cpo is purely for the warranty and loaner car you get when you bring it in. ( and resale value) good luck and post many photos

Old 05-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY, yes my car is special and this is not the norm but in the last 1.5 years my warranty has paid out an excess of $80,000, yes that is not a joke. I love my F but it is not a car I would touch without a warranty. if you plan to sell it before the warranty is up then your fine but if you want to keep it past that I would strongly suggest getting cpo,

my cpo has not even started yet and I will most likely sell around the time my factory warranty ends in september but not only for the peace of mind but for selling in the future a cpo car with warranty will be much more valuable on the used market. Don't let cpo fool you into thinking your getting a better car, my car was involved in a minor accident that was not disclosed to me prior to purchase and was not in really much better shape then other non CPO f's I saw, cpo is purely for the warranty and loaner car you get when you bring it in. ( and resale value) good luck and post many photos

My 2017 black on black manual convertible should be hitting the market any day now. Car has been rock solid and well cared for. Keep an eye out for it—it’s got just under 30k miles.

Stormtrooper, not saying this to be an ***, but hasn’t your car been crashed three times? I think these cars, if well taken care of, are pretty reliable.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

These extended warranties are just like any other insurance. On average they cost a bit more to buy than they pay out in claims. Otherwise they wouldn't make sense. So if you want the peace of mind of coverage in case of major repairs, you pay slightly over the odds - but take out the risk of a major cost.

I bought 2 years of extra CPO warranty on my old XF and on my Land Rover. Prob saved $500 on each in a couple of claims over their life and spent $2500 on each. Not a good deal economically - but it was peace of mind. I still own the XF now 10 years old and still no issues

I got 2 yrs extra CPO on the F Type SVR too. And if I never need it I'm still happy to have the protection

My advice - Buy the car you want if the price is right and condition is good. If you want to buy another couple of years of protection many companies sell them - just ensure you get one that will actually pay out...