F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose/Floppy window SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 12:03 AM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Loose/Floppy window SOLVED

Here is the solution for loose windows that move inwards and outwards excessive. For me and probably most of you it is the passengers side . Cause by pulling open and pushing when shutting the door by holding onto the glass and not the metal part of the door. Super annoying and gradually the window becomes looser.
It was a PITA try to research this as nothing on the internet and nothing specific in the repair manual. Anyways turns out to be quite simple.
It requires removing the door card to access the upper rear access hole as in photo below.

loosen the nut inside but not so much as it comes off. I used a 3/8 socket
once this is loose use can turn the hex part counterclockwise. I did two full rotation and tested the laxity in the window after each half turn. I made a small mark with a felt tipped marker as a guide. Once satisfied retighten the outer nut.

So what have we done.?
This screw is the upper anchor point for the rear bar of the window regulator. By winding the adjustment screw counterclockwise we are pushing the upper end of the rear bar further outwards. This cause the glass to press against the outer seal more on the outside of the window. The inside seal is very floppy and has probably 1cm of give in the design so is unable to provide any significant outwards pressure to stop the window from moving/wobbling in an inward direction.

3/8 socket

This is the hole

Ideal use a reverse hex bit but I didn’t have one. I carefully used just regular pliers being super careful not to slip or round the hex portion. Only do this after you have loosened the bigger nut behind.

Big gap on the inside of window showing why there is nothing stopping the window flopping inwards once you have a floppy window

Interior window seal. Thought the problem was originally caused by some failure or compression of the felt liner but has nothing to do with this problem.

there is also a window tilt-in adjuster near the two bottom screws that hold the door card. It is behind the third plastic tab underneath. It does nothing to stop this problem

Where the yellow arrow is

Last edited by Borbor; 08-20-2022 at 12:18 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Borbor:
Carbuff2 (08-20-2022), cwisenheimer (05-17-2024), djyankees31 (08-20-2022), kb58 (08-20-2022), Pauluucho (08-22-2022), uncheel (05-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 PM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, this is the answer right here! I had the same window rattling issue and I figured out that it was the same loose bolt that was causing the noise. Looking back before I tightened it, I should have used a threadlocker, but I'll just wait until the rattling comes back before I go back and remove the door card all over again.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:41 AM
Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Late to this thread but nonetheless, I don't think my window is loose but if I have the driver's side window down and I'm driving at speed, I get this high pitched squealing noise, maybe it's the wind disrupting something in the exposed door card? No idea. Has anyone had this issue and do you think tightening the window would solve it?