F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pop sound when jacking up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Loud pop sound when jacking up?

Decided to change to summer tires as the weather is slowly warming up. When I were jacking up the rear driver side, mid way through the lifting, tires not off the ground yet, I heard a single loud pop sound, immediately dropped it back down and inspected the jack point, jacking point was correct and nothing seems to have cracked, baffled and concerned, I double checked by taking a video with my phone, everything looked fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't use an adapter pad, or I didn't line it up exactly, so I decided to be cautious and waited until the next day and attempted it again in better day light, also made a makeshift adapter pad by folding a cardboard a few times. All went without fuss this time, rear passenger side wasn't done since there's a nail in the tire and I will be transferring the tire to a new rim(old rim damaged).

Fast forward a few days, I went to a nearby shop to get the tire patched and mounted on the new rim, they didn't have an adapter pad and used a folded microfiber towel after my request, it made the same pop sound mid way through the lifting. I drove away and inspect the jacking point, again, everything looked fine.

Anyone experience the same thing? Or is it normal? I have witnessed the car being jacked up a dozen times with both floor jack and shop lifts, never heard such sound before.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:01 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

In the rear, your jacking point is the center of those 3 bolts. Could have your jack head slipping off one of the bolts depending how it was centered and shape/design of the jack head.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a guess, but perhaps something to do with unloading the suspension (shocks) for the first time in a while.
Might explain why it happened just once on the first jacking.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM
Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
In the rear, your jacking point is the center of those 3 bolts. Could have your jack head slipping off one of the bolts depending how it was centered and shape/design of the jack head.
Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Just a guess, but perhaps something to do with unloading the suspension (shocks) for the first time in a while.
Might explain why it happened just once on the first jacking.

I did a google search and turns out it's not a uncommon phenomenon. Multiple posts regarding it across different make and models, all of them say car drove fine and nothing broke. And they all cited suspension and slipping as possible cause, but nothing definitive.

I'm not brave enough to recreate the sound and figure it out, so I will leave it here.