Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Battery please start engine/ battery drain issue 2015 V6S

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 07:50 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,147 Likes on 1,437 Posts

I’m not sure that our US cars have that feature. And I’ve never been clear what double-locking accomplishes. It’s mentioned in my manual, but not what it does.

The following users liked this post:
Chuckster (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 08:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Found on the Internet, so it must be true…

What is double locking?
Double-locking is an additional anti-theft device and can only be activated if the ignition is switched off and the driver's door is fully closed. Double locking ensures that opening the vehicle from the inside (e. g. after glass breakage) is no longer possible.

That’s potentially useful in a convertible. I’ll have to try it.

Last edited by DJS; 09-03-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Pcar2Jag (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 08:12 PM
Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, it can't hurt to try the double locking test on US Jags.

I was able to jump start the car. Oddly, as soon as I connected my battery charger to the car I got that low battery warning. When the car is running, my charger reads 12V and 95% charged. When I turn it off, the engine makes clicking noises I've never heard before and it is quite audible.

I will leave the car connected to the charger overnight and hope for the best in the morning. I just hope it's not the alternator.

Old 09-04-2024, 03:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Why call out a locksmith to open the car? Doesn't the key in the fob work?

Old 09-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Received 464 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
That’s potentially useful in a convertible. I’ll have to try it.
Double-locking is not enabled on USA cars. Lawyers want kids in hot cars to be able to get out if needed.

OzXFR (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,927 Posts

I had the same question? Do you have a metal key inside your FOB? That will fit the drivers door. Then pop the hood and apply 12 VDC to release the rest?
Not sure why a lock smith is even involved?

Old 09-04-2024, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar2Jag
I'm going to add to this thread since I found it while trying to diagnose my battery draining issues. I have a 2017 R, in case anyone needs that info.

I recently bought a new AGM battery since my original battery was about 7 years old and my car was completely dead. Had to get a locksmith to get me into the car so I could pop the hood and boot. I installed the new battery and for the first couple of days, everything seemed fine. Then I got the dreaded low battery message. I thought that was strange, and so I plugged in my OBD2 scanner tool and checked for codes, then cleared them out. Now I'm thinking I must have done something "stupid" to make the car drain the battery, although I don't know what that would be.

Anyway, this locksmith is coming back and will probably become my best friend if I don't get this fixed. I suppose I will have to start 1) connecting a battery tender each night, 2) take it to the JLR shop and get bent over, or 3) take it to an Indy shop for a diagnosis.

Just thought I would post my experiences and keep this thread alive for the next "victim" of a draining battery.

Side note: I never knew about the double locking "trick" which is odd that something so simple could have a huge impact on the car.
I'm reading 'plugged in ODBII scanner" and "draining battery" and I have to think they are related. The best kept secret from Jaguar is if an ODBII session is not exited in the exact right way (I don't know what the right way is), the car will stay in a live mode that will drain the battery. This has happened to me twice, both caused by the dealer. A simple reset by undoing the negative battery terminal lead for about a minute will clear the issue.

Old 09-04-2024, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I had the same question? Do you have a metal key inside your FOB? That will fit the drivers door. Then pop the hood and apply 12 VDC to release the rest?
Not sure why a lock smith is even involved?
Same question. When the ODBII drain hit my car, I just popped out the metal key from inside the fob and opened the driver's door.

Old 09-05-2024, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Why call out a locksmith to open the car? Doesn't the key in the fob work?
The battery is dead. Why do you think a fob will work??

Old 09-05-2024, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Not sure why a lock smith is even involved?.
So I'm the second owner. I tried both metal keys in the fobs. Neither worked. Theory is that the previous owner lost both fobs and got new ones but never had the metal keys matched to the car, or JLR sends out a batch of keys and no one tracks which belongs to what car (I tend to lean towards this since I believe most companies and their employees are dumb and lazy).

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'm reading 'plugged in ODBII scanner" and "draining battery" and I have to think they are related. The best kept secret from Jaguar is if an ODBII session is not exited in the exact right way (I don't know what the right way is), the car will stay in a live mode that will drain the battery. This has happened to me twice, both caused by the dealer. A simple reset by undoing the negative battery terminal lead for about a minute will clear the issue.
Yes, I think you're right. I was also told by a JLR mechanic yesterday that they actually have to plug into the car and tell the computer that there is a new battery. Weird.

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Same question. When the ODBII drain hit my car, I just popped out the metal key from inside the fob and opened the driver's door.
See above.

Old 09-05-2024, 07:33 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Read what I typed - "the key in the fob".

Old 09-05-2024, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Read what I typed - "the key in the fob".
Read what I typed, too. The key fob works, but the car battery is completely drained. Nothing works IN THE CAR. How hard is this to understand?

Old 09-05-2024, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

It's the physical metal key inside the fob that we are talking about. You pop open the fob, remove the metal key, then pull the door handle open to expose the keyhole, insert the key, turn it and you're in the ca.

Old 09-05-2024, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Read what I typed, too. The key fob works, but the car battery is completely drained. Nothing works IN THE CAR. How hard is this to understand?
Apparently, just as hard as the physical key doesn't require any power whatsoever. It's an old school key. Insert, turn, open. Imagine you're in 1977 and you want to unlock the door on your sweet Trans Am, but the battery is completely dead. Nothing to worry, you just insert the key in the keyhole, turn it and then open the door. It's the same darn thing. I have quite literally unlocked my F-Type with a completely dead batter by bypassing anything electric and using the physical metal key that is inside the fob.

Old 09-05-2024, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Obviously, the start part won't work, but getting it the door will.

https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/doc...93645/G1893602

Last edited by eeeeek; 09-05-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2024, 10:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Might be helpful if you read the part about him trying the physical keys, and that they didn’t appear to match his car.

Old 09-05-2024, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Might be helpful if you read the part about him trying the physical keys, and that they didn’t appear to match his car.
Boom! Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind thinking I had forgotten to mention the physical, metal key. I have 2 fobs, and neither metal key works. Therefore, I believe that JLR doesn't do the greatest job of tracking these metal keys with the fob. I also learned that JLR HQ may or may not have the original barrel for the keys. What else will JLR do to fail the masses? Make all their cars electric? Oh, wait...

Old 09-05-2024, 03:31 PM

In all fairness, I should have mentioned at the beginning that I tried the keys inside the fobs, which is why I called the locksmith. I apologize for the confusion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pcar2Jag:
DJS (09-05-2024), scm (09-05-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Another problem is even with the correct metal key unless you have "exercised" the mechanical lock it's VERY common that it won't turn from lack of use.
So trying your metal emergency key would be wise BEFORE problems happen.

Carbuff2 (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 11:07 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I bought some graphite lock lubricant, which has been sitting on my kitchen counter for I don’t know how long. Thanks for the reminder to actually use it.

Carbuff2 (09-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Low Battery please start engine/ battery drain issue 2015 V6S