F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Beam Head Lights hunting worms

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 07:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Low Beam Head Lights hunting worms

New to me 16 F Type S. Had her out at night and it is not good. Head lights hit about 30ft in front of the car and there is a black wall ahead if it. Worst lights I have ever seen on a car. The high beams are fine but the lows are a hazard at a night. I thought these we self leveling and adjusting? Pervious owner did have some issues with the head lights previously. Early on at 6000 miles the adaptive head light warning light came on. One of the lights had a bad module which was replaced. Then the owner noticed the car had two different head lights, lol. Car has exterior Black Pack. One light had Black internal color and the other was Chrome. Techs had issues when replacing the chrome headlight as it did not want to reprogram with the system. Test drove and no warning lights (Tech) but not sure this car was drive out of La Jolla at night ever. I still have a few months of CPO warranty so it should be covered.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

They should have caught that at CPO inspection as "exterior lights" are part of the checklist.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
They should have caught that at CPO inspection as "exterior lights" are part of the checklist.
They probably just check they're there and switch on and off.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

It appears that the PO hadn’t kept on top of his problem and the dealer didn’t replace his headlight correctly. This should be covered under warranty. On a positive note you have documentation that dealer didn’t fix the problem. Keep on top of them. I think it’s common that problems are discovered due to not driving in all types of weather and nighttime driving. For future owners drive your car and push all the buttons and all the gismos that are included with your car. I’m always amused at people who only take their cars out, with zero chance of rain or there is not a cloud in sight. I personally know some and you probably also, the only good thing is they are the ones you want to buy their car from and then drive like you stole it🤣
Frank

The following users liked this post:
Island Maser (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

You might try adjusting them?
I have a 2014 XJR and upgraded to the later LED headlights. Still could not see and thought they were pointing too low. Finally setup some tape on my garage wall and did some measurements and raised the headlights over 2 inches. Think they still could use a bit more as I usually don't get flashed by other drivers even when I have the brights on.
But they are so much better now! My car also has the adaptive headlights.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree Frank. This car was a 3 year lease for the wife and then they bought it CPO. Only but 3000 miles on since the CPO 2 years ago. Owner said wife never went over 70 and never went out of town. Lots of depreciation per mile. Love buying 4 year old high end cars with a little factory warranty left to sort things out. I am not leaving much left for the next guy, lol. I pu 60,000 pretty hard miles on my Maserati in 11 years. My wrenches both retired in Tacoma so I had a new guy service my car. Had full fluids change. "This is the highest mileage Maserati like this I have ever drive (72K) and this is the nicest driving and best sort out one at the same time! Very nice car". The next day I ran 17 hours and 52 minutes Seattle to Scottsdale. Best car for that trip so far has been and Audi S6. Just ate up miles and felt the freshest after 18 fast hours behind the wheel but boring. Why I sold it- that another good story on this trip. 45 MPH corning I come ripping in at 100. Construction stuff in the distance. Whole corner is covered in sand! Oh ****. Stand on the brakes and scrub as much speed as possible. Toss it into the corner and wait to catch the big slide that should be coming. Car slid a little but was very predictable and I just squeezed on the throttle and power through the corner. That was as much excitement as I was ever going to see in the Audi and I bored. Sold. Did I mention the Jag likes to slide

Old 03-12-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Maser
New to me 16 F Type S. Had her out at night and it is not good. Head lights hit about 30ft in front of the car and there is a black wall ahead if it. Worst lights I have ever seen on a car. The high beams are fine but the lows are a hazard at a night. I thought these we self leveling and adjusting? Pervious owner did have some issues with the head lights previously. Early on at 6000 miles the adaptive head light warning light came on. One of the lights had a bad module which was replaced. Then the owner noticed the car had two different head lights, lol. Car has exterior Black Pack. One light had Black internal color and the other was Chrome. Techs had issues when replacing the chrome headlight as it did not want to reprogram with the system. Test drove and no warning lights (Tech) but not sure this car was drive out of La Jolla at night ever. I still have a few months of CPO warranty so it should be covered.
It may be worth double checking the settings. Buried in one of the menus is a headlight setting. Choices are driving on the left (as in the UK), or driving on the right (as in the US).

Old 03-13-2021, 02:33 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

They are low from factory.

It's really easy to raise the both beams just slightly. This makes the world of difference as the beams have quite a sharp cut-off area above.

Park about 3m back from a garage door with the lights on and use a pencil to mark the cut-off beam of the garage door.
Open the bonnet and you should see two large, white cross-head plastic screws on the light units.
From memory I put a full two turns on them to raise the beam, and I think this bought the beam marks up about 20mm 'ish.

FWIW - It passes our UK headlight beam test for the Ministry of Transport, and no high beam flash from oncoming motorists.

Last edited by Tel; 03-13-2021 at 03:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Island Maser (03-13-2021)